2grfe insurance quote

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

badger109

2grfe insurance quote

Post by badger109 »

hi
am considering doing a 2grfe engine swop but wondered if anyone had any idea of insurance costs previously quote
gavsdavs

Re: 2grfe insurance quote

Post by gavsdavs »

badger109 wrote:hi
am considering doing a 2grfe engine swop but wondered if anyone had any idea of insurance costs previously quote

Circumstances of where the car lives (Postccode, garaged or not, etc), your age and driving history) appear to have a more significant bearing on insurance cost than it being a 2gr.

Make sure you get the registration updated with DVLA, drive it round still registered as a 2L will give an insurer a good reason to welch.

Some classic companies will insure you but demand the car is garaged, consider limited mileage policy, etc.

There are a few insurers that are members on here, quote you are a member and you can get 10% off.
MRV6

Post by MRV6 »

Hi mate, had my renewal in April. It's for a supercharged 2gr, with a lotus ecu, clocks and everything else I have on the car. £350, the car is garaged and I'm 50, that's with A Plan.
badger109

Post by badger109 »

thanks for the help , this is a n idea I am toying with at the moment, I already have a 94 turbo, ive had since 1999 with about 30,00 odd miles !! but I fancy a second car with a 2gr engine swop

MRV6 if you don't mind me asking who did your engine swop ? did you have the supercharger done at the same time ? I think I read the TRD chargers are quite expensive and finally was it all worth it ???
monkeyra
Premium Member

Post by monkeyra »

I'm paying just over £200 for my 2GRFE swapped car, and thats including the rollcage which normally bumps up the premium.
SW20 Rev1 Supercharged 2GR-FE Powered Trackday Car.
MRV6

Post by MRV6 »

Hi mate, Paul Woods did my engine conversion. Over the last 8 months or so I/we (Paul Woods) have bought various parts including a supercharger and Lotus ecu to go on the car. We are waiting on a bespoke part coming from America and hopefully we will have the cars on the road. One of the first things I intend to do is put her on the rollers. I will let you know how the car drives and what she makes as soon as possible.

I had a supercharged 1mz in before I got the 2gr. Hand on heart I thought there would not be much difference between a supercharged 1mz and a standard 2gr. The 2gr blows it away mate, the low down torque is incredible.

gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

monkeyra wrote:I'm paying just over £200 for my 2GRFE swapped car, and thats including the rollcage which normally bumps up the premium.

Whereas I pay ~700, but because I live in South east London. (a 3s-ge was ~400)
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX »

Hi,
If you need any help with insurance at all for this type of conversion then please feel free to drop me a line. I'd be only too pleased to try and help.
Regards,
Dan.
kirk

Post by kirk »

MRV6 wrote:Hi mate, Paul Woods did my engine conversion. Over the last 8 months or so I/we (Paul Woods) have bought various parts including a supercharger and Lotus ecu to go on the car. We are waiting on a bespoke part coming from America and hopefully we will have the cars on the road. One of the first things I intend to do is put her on the rollers. I will let you know how the car drives and what she makes as soon as possible.

I had a supercharged 1mz in before I got the 2gr. Hand on heart I thought there would not be much difference between a supercharged 1mz and a standard 2gr. The 2gr blows it away mate, the low down torque is incredible.

That torque..... 8)

I really need to experience one of these things.
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

Re this engine swap, are there any builds/links on how to do it?

Is it a simple as find donor lexus, nick engine gearbox,ecu, loom and then get custom header/exhaust and engine mounts oh and poss/prob drive shafts and what about the clocks?

Have i missed owt?
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Paul woods is the guy to speak to. 2gr swap uses the e153 gearbox also throttle pedal needs to be adapted for DBW setup. Theres a bunch of stuff that needs doing.

I like the idea but I dont like it enough to spend possibly more than double what my car is worth unfortunately.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Race Idiot wrote:

I like the idea but I dont like it enough to spend possibly more than double what my car is worth unfortunately.

And the rest!

I can see the appeal of the 2gr but it's not enough for me to consider the conversion, even if money is no object.
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
badger109

costs

Post by badger109 »

ok so anyone whos had a paul woods 2gr conversion know what basic costs are now , with you supplying the mr2 ?
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

I watched an interesting video on youtube about a 2 that had this engine conversion, but said it was supercharged.

Is the original lexus engine supercharged as standard?

Was a good vid, admitedly I flicked thru it as i was short on time, so going to go back and watch it right through.

Its in america and is a white mr 2 its V nice :thumleft: if i find the link I'll post it.
BTW anyone fitted the Honda K20a into one of ours or a scooby lump?
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Charged wrote:

And the rest!

I can see the appeal of the 2gr but it's not enough for me to consider the conversion, even if money is no object.

Haha yeah, I was just thinking of the price of the engine. Not all the custom mounts, manifolds, wiring and having the nice lotus ecu also lol! Let alone the labor cost for someone not doing it themselves.

Also a scooby lump what the hell lol if you own an mr2 how the hell would you think something like that would fit. sideways lol?
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

It's about 8-9k for a woodsport swap and around 6-7k for a diy swap. Physically the engine is a drop in fit with a woodsport drivers mount the same as all the v6 swaps but there's alot of wiring and ancillary stuff to sort but it is diyable,

The issue is it's a huge amount of cash to put in an Mr2 when 10k would buy you a better car but they're goes for turbo swaps aswell.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

That honestly doesnt sound too bad, but I just dont think I like my 2 enough to warrant it. I'd be looking at R32 GT-Rs, S15 Spec-Rs or a DC5 for similar money.
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

thomp1983 wrote:It's about 8-9k for a woodsport swap and around 6-7k for a diy swap. Physically the engine is a drop in fit with a woodsport drivers mount the same as all the v6 swaps but there's alot of wiring and ancillary stuff to sort but it is diyable,

The issue is it's a huge amount of cash to put in an Mr2 when 10k would buy you a better car but they're goes for turbo swaps aswell.

It's around 8-9k for the whole conversion if Paul does it.

I did it because I'd had the car 13 years and already spent well over twice that over the years on maintaining the thing and keeping it roadworthy. You may say "that cars only worth a couple of grand" (rev 2 N/A) but you are missing the investment that's already in it to keep it on the road as it is.

It's not the fastest car on a track but it teaches you a thing or two about how wayward an sw20 can be in those circumstances. Lots of people buy coilovers and stuff stiffen the suspension up to the point where they become unpleasant to be in on the road.

What you get - is a lazy/unstressed 300bhp, returns 40mpg, sounds awesome. I'm not into chasing big power, i wanted a low maintenance sw20 that looks standard and runs down M3s and 911s. Its stock suspension retains the comfort and ride height you want on a road.

The 2gr just makes it feel like it's being powered by a saturn 5 rocket :)
badger109

Post by badger109 »

hi so £9000 about for a 2gr engine from Paul Woods

anyone good prices if you do a supercharger and ecu change as well ?
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

badger109 wrote:hi so £9000 about for a 2gr engine from Paul Woods

anyone good prices if you do a supercharger and ecu change as well ?

You want to supercharge the 2GR as well? I think the 2GR itself is more than enough power having given one a blast on the track.

Thats just my opinion though, I wouldn't really want one of these 500hp beasts that some other enjoy either.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”