17" Advan SA3r's

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

nathan.z

Re: 17" Advan SA3r's

Post by nathan.z »

Since we're all whoring Advans. Staggered 16's on mine, need the car lowered though as I'm on stock. Mine are missing the centre caps but I've grown to like them without and my envy dripped away with it. I gave up trying to source replacements, had them refurbed in blackened chrome.

I'm personally not a fan of them in Gold on a black body. That gold is way too bright/orangy and the red text clashes. Try bronze or a darker shade?

Nic

Post by Nic »

I prefer the Work wheels. I think the Advans look good on MR2 with bodykit mods, they don't really suit a stock bodied car IMO.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Nic wrote:I prefer the Work wheels. I think the Advans look good on MR2 with bodykit mods, they don't really suit a stock bodied car IMO.

Disagree (shameless self posting incoming). Granted mine are not SA3R's, but their better looking ( IMO :lol: ) older brother, the SA3:

2mad

Post by 2mad »

Own SA3R's but gazza's originals are much easer to refurb ... great thread keep the SA3R's coming :thumleft:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

nathan.z wrote:Since we're all whoring Advans. Staggered 16's on mine, need the car lowered though as I'm on stock. Mine are missing the centre caps but I've grown to like them without and my envy dripped away with it. I gave up trying to source replacements, had them refurbed in blackened chrome.

I'm personally not a fan of them in Gold on a black body. That gold is way too bright/orangy and the red text clashes. Try bronze or a darker shade?

Image Replaced With URL For Quote https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/765/23268 ... b07d_b.jpg

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://s9.postimg.org/e31zxkivz/insta_wheel.jpg

Look sweet .. great looking car nathan :D
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

2mad wrote:Own SA3R's but gazza's originals are much easer to refurb ... great thread keep the SA3R's coming :thumleft:

Depends on how much you like undoing shitloads of little spline head bolts I guess... Never again.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Gazza_DJ wrote:
2mad wrote:Own SA3R's but gazza's originals are much easer to refurb ... great thread keep the SA3R's coming :thumleft:

Depends on how much you like undoing shitloads of little spline head bolts I guess... Never again.

Soooo .... well worth the effort you well and trully in my top 5 for exterior looks mr2's gaz ... great looking car :thumleft:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

I've only done it on one wheel :lol:

All 4 need doing properly really. Still need to find a decent way of sealing them that isn't lacquer.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Gazza_DJ wrote:
Disagree (shameless self posting incoming). Granted mine are not SA3R's, but their better looking ( IMO :lol: ) older brother, the SA3:

They do look good with the 2 tone colour of the Sonic Shadow :thumleft:
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Gazza_DJ wrote:I've only done it on one wheel :lol:

All 4 need doing properly really. Still need to find a decent way of sealing them that isn't lacquer.

Pull finger out then (or off to cardhore lol) .. pristine car , perfect ride hight .. and great wheels ... lovely car gaz :thumleft: ... like i said one of my favs :D
Last edited by 2mad on Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Yoshi

Post by Mr Yoshi »

I'm loving all the photos of the Advans and the comments - keep them coming. \:D/

JAAASH, the candy red and your car looks amazing! (Hmmm red and black, I wonder lol!) and the photos of rest of the Advans, love 'em.

I can sort of see what is being said with the SA3r's sitting even better with body kits. I was already considering fitting TOM's side skirts/bumper and and Aerowave lip, at some point. Realise it's extremely unlikely I'm going to come across originals. Does anyone have any experience with the MR2-Ben copies, or can recommend alternative copies/suppliers??
Mr Yoshi

Post by Mr Yoshi »

Forgot to say - Gazza_DJ, your wheel and colour combination, is perfect. What a beautiful looking car!
Mr Yoshi

Post by Mr Yoshi »

My Advans are being refurbed and are nearly ready to be collected. I'll post some photos when I have them back. However, the company said they couldn't do anything with the centre nuts. Which I was gutted at the prospect of having fresh alloys with the centre nuts letting them down.

I then came across Watfields Limited who are precision engineering company based in Barnsley, who are currently selling replica Advan SA3r centre nuts on ebay for £50-55 x 4. They're made from billet aluminium. You can get them in plain alloy, or anodised black. They are identical copies and superb quality. So much so, I'm probably going to buy another spare set.

Thought some of you guys might be interested in refreshing your old nuts too (ooo err misus!).

I've also contacted Watfields to see if they could make the plastic spanner for a reasonable price. There's an original one on ebay and the seller wants £150 for it. Crazy!! I could buy another three spare sets of nuts for that! Watfields came back to say they could manufacture the spanner given enough interest and that they were suprised how many of the nuts they've already sold. Therefore, they will consider it and come back to me........so watch this space!

Some potentially good news for Advan SA3r owners!
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

Mr Yoshi wrote:My Advans are being refurbed and are nearly ready to be collected. I'll post some photos when I have them back. However, the company said they couldn't do anything with the centre nuts. Which I was gutted at the prospect of having fresh alloys with the centre nuts letting them down.

I then came across Watfields Limited who are precision engineering company based in Barnsley, who are currently selling replica Advan SA3r centre nuts on ebay for £50-55 x 4. They're made from billet aluminium. You can get them in plain alloy, or anodised black. They are identical copies and superb quality. So much so, I'm probably going to buy another spare set.

Thought some of you guys might be interested in refreshing your old nuts too (ooo err misus!).

I've also contacted Watfields to see if they could make the plastic spanner for a reasonable price. There's an original one on ebay and the seller wants £150 for it. Crazy!! I could buy another three spare sets of nuts for that! Watfields came back to say they could manufacture the spanner given enough interest and that they were suprised how many of the nuts they've already sold. Therefore, they will consider it and come back to me........so watch this space!

It's great they're selling the centre nut, but what about the wheel nut cover /surround?

Mr Yoshi

Post by Mr Yoshi »

Watfields: We made a set (of centre nuts) for a customer and thought we'd do a few extra sets to see what the reaction was. We've nearly sold out so we will be doing more".

They offer reverse engineering. So I guess they're capable of copying the plates, nuts, coins and plastic spanner. Especially, if someone local took all the items in to be measured up. But I suppose it will come down to demand? If enough people were to show interest, I'm sure they would produce them? Or you may pay a premium cost for them to reproduce one full set. Saying that, they're considering the tool, on just my request.....and the reaction just to their centre nuts has been positive, as they've nearly sold out. I was shocked as the nuts really are an exact copy, in every way.
Mr Yoshi

Post by Mr Yoshi »

Watfields: "We made the centre nuts and caps for a customer which is how we got started with them. The outer rims are not really suited to our machines so we will have to stick with the nuts and possibly the caps and spanner for now."

Just checked with them for you nathan.z. Sorry not better news!
2mad

Post by 2mad »

nathan.z wrote:
Mr Yoshi wrote:My Advans are being refurbed and are nearly ready to be collected. I'll post some photos when I have them back. However, the company said they couldn't do anything with the centre nuts. Which I was gutted at the prospect of having fresh alloys with the centre nuts letting them down.

It's great they're selling the centre nut, but what about the wheel nut cover /surround?

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://www.imadeskidmarks.com/cart/imag ... caps-b.jpg

If that kit was available id buy that for a dollar lol ... advan are missing a trick not having this available [-X
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

Mr Yoshi wrote:Watfields: "We made the centre nuts and caps for a customer which is how we got started with them. The outer rims are not really suited to our machines so we will have to stick with the nuts and possibly the caps and spanner for now."

Just checked with them for you nathan.z. Sorry not better news!

Dang...I noticed when shopping around on the 2nd hand market that about 50% of the sets were missing those pieces. Having all the parts meant an extra few hundred for the resale value. I wonder how they look with just the nut without the surround piece.

Thanks for asking though. :thumleft:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Keep an eye on Yahoo Auctions JP, those parts come up every so often.
Mr Yoshi

Post by Mr Yoshi »

Advans are back and they look great! Really pleased with colours and look like new. Just waiting for the decals to be fitted and these have also arrived.

Busy week for the 2.......have finished cleaning/polishing up the Fujitsubo exhaust, so hope to have the exhaust, Berk downpipe, coilovers and Advans all on next week. I cannot wait!!!!! \:D/

Image[/URL][/img]

Image[/URL][/img]

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”