REV1 front top strut mounts

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

grega1

REV1 front top strut mounts

Post by grega1 »

Cheers guys, I just ordered KYB inserts to rebuild my suspension. Apex springs are the same from 89-00 am I right? I was reading that REV1 top strut mounts are different. Can anyone provide me pictures of which ones I need to buy? I am listing a link bellow if this part is correct?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR-2-M ... SwfcVUFDb9

Thank you very much!!
abovetherim

Re: REV1 front top strut mounts

Post by abovetherim »

The springs are all good through the revs.
The top mounts for rev 1 have the strut mounting hole off centre. However the ones you linked to will work but the caster will need more adjustment when you get your alignment.
My rev 1 has new front shocks, those kyb top mounts and apex springs and aligned no problem.

Have you also got dust boots as your old ones are most likely shot. I got mine from mr2ben.
grega1

Post by grega1 »

I didn't consider dust boots yet. Thank you very much for clarification, I will use Apex springs also, and I have no more worries about the suspension. It's probably a wise idea to do droplinks also right? Thank you for you help!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
kurkjones

Post by kurkjones »

Just a heads up, if the top mounts have one concave side to the metal part where the studs sit, the curved bit has to point to the rear of the car. Not sure if the ones you ordered will have that or not but the KYB ones I ordered for my Rev1 did. The top mount must have the curved edge pointing to the rear.

Also on the top spring mounting cup there will be wording "OUT" somewhere engraved into the metal with an arrow pointing out. That obviously points to the outward side of the car, directly above the bolt holes where the hub gets bolted onto.
Toyota MR2 - 3S-GTE - 1991 Turbo - Yellow
grega1

Post by grega1 »

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ That are amazing heads up! And how difficult is to remove the strut insert? I am expecting the nut to be seized, or is not that much of a big deal? Thanks
kurkjones

Post by kurkjones »

Forgot to mention the wording "OUT" will be on the top side of the cup. :).

Also I managed to undo the inserts quite easily with a set of big grips. Made use of my dad's Snap-on ones as my Silverline didn't quite grip it as well! But a big set of grips or I imagine there must be a spanner of that size, would easily get it off as it certainly didn't seem tight. The inserts tend to come with a new nut/seal too and go on with ease, again, just tightened them up with the grips. I'm sure there will be torque settings for these things! Haha.
Toyota MR2 - 3S-GTE - 1991 Turbo - Yellow
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

grega1 wrote:\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ That are amazing heads up! And how difficult is to remove the strut insert? I am expecting the nut to be seized, or is not that much of a big deal? Thanks

Better still put the strut upside down in a vice to hold the nut. Slip a suitable bar/screwdriver through 2 of the strut bolt holes and turn the strut. Never fails!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”