Rev4 Turbo *mini photoshoot*

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jimGTS

Re: Rev4 Turbo *mini photoshoot*

Post by jimGTS »

I got this extension wire with the rtd sensor. (Air intake sensor).

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=213
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Excellent Jim thanks :thumleft:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

tempted to try out my spare ct20b!

after a clean, looks like new

between 9 and 11pm last night, i removed the downpipe and drained the coolant elbow of coolant! its been a while, so not to shabby a time given it was 0C!
hopefully can swap in the ct20b in the next couple of days for testing.

mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

I've just come back to the MR2 myself after having an Evo and a 944. Just nothing else gives me the same smiles as these, nothing!
MisterToo

Post by MisterToo »

Gotta say Jim, you always were a stickler for the detail, and your new motor certainly goes to prove that.

Amazing job mate. Great to see some of the old school still lurking about on IMOC.

It's EarL by the way. My old account is locked out for some reason, so I had to sign up with this one. Hopefully not too ling before my old account is re-instated. Looking to get my butt back in an MR2 shortly :wink:

Keep up the good work mate. Hope to see you at this years JAE.

All the best,

EarL
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

cheers chaps.

hey earl, yeh after the rev5 tubby, tried out a R32 GTR for year, things didnt work out well with it, cost me and arm and a leg and alot of headache.

thankfully came across this well kept car with a few choice mods couple of years back. i made the right decision coming back to a 2, it is the right size for our B roads, and thats where i like to spend time on the road.
granted as is always the way, people mod it to there own tastes, ive certainly done that.

nice examples are harder to find and come across these days, so you may well have your work cut out!

both welcome back to the boards.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

old hybrid out, appears to be leaking a little oil (given i have no pcv hose attached), must be a seal. though car still performs great.

anyways, i took the housing off to compare to the ct20b.

i wondered if anyone had any thoughts, opinions, info on the hybrid, what comp wheel? and although ive mentioned it before, ideas behind the stepped restrictor in the housing itself.
certainly looks like they had a job balancing this thing given the markings by the nut, and the bits chopped out the base.

C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

that's an old Garrett compressor wheel - see the stylised A cast into the wheel, it's the A from the old AiResearch brand/logo

measure the inducer and exducer sizes of the wheel and you'll be able to make an educated guess as to what it is, maybe a T04e 46 trim, that seems to be the common upgrade wheel for the ct26, it's pretty much a perfect match for a stock VE 3sgte from the compressor map.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Hi rob thanks for the info.

I did a quick measure this morning, DIY style, and looks to me like
54 and 72.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

ct20b back together anyways

2mad

Post by 2mad »

T04e 46 trim sounds right my blitz bag had one :thumleft:

Nice ct20b rebuild buddy :thumleft: looks sweet .. let us no how you get on vs's the T04e 46 trim comp :)
2mad

Post by 2mad »

And ps all of my ct26's and ct20b's have had oil in the intake ... pretty standard stuff , no coarse for alarm :thumleft:

Edit , to qualifie .. a little smear of oils ok .. if its poring out may be rebuild 8-[
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

yeh certainly not pouring, car doesnt use any oil, so cant be an issue.
never any on the blades etc.

i believe this could be the 50 trim going by the measurements.

20b wasnt really a rebuild, just clean up really.
:eye:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

jimGTS wrote:yeh certainly not pouring, car doesnt use any oil, so cant be an issue.
never any on the blades etc.

i believe this could be the 50 trim going by the measurements.

20b wasnt really a rebuild, just clean up really.
:eye:

Yeah could be a 50 never measured ...what you have done looks nice .. best of luck :thumleft:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Fitted 20b today.
Had a nightmare getting the oil feed bolt in, took like 45mins alone! Annoying. Ha!

Anyways, first drive, things feel great as it happens.
Different spool noise, louder i think, awesome off throttle surge and reduced lag for sure.

May just be in my head, but feels essentially the same top end, perhaps a smidge more, maybe, and quite a bit more mid range, I guess due to reduced lag. Essentially win and win.
Almost feels like my power band has been shifted to the left but still pulls nice to redline.

I need to have a proper run, in the dry and in daylight to confirm the above, but overall, not disappointed. I guess 1/4 mile times will likely be the only true way to compare the two.

Plus that area looks nice now, turbo painted silver, actuator black, water feed also now silver, I also as things were out, resprayed my firewall heatshields black.
These are a nightmare to remove with the turbo in situ.

Dyno time in a month!

:thumleft:
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Sounds good Jim and im positive that you will see a good gain from doing this...

Get it to Pod once the season starts and see what data you get.

Either way keep up the good work :thumleft:

Had a good browse through earlier and you seriously have me wanting RPF1's big time! The Car seriously is stunning!
'98 Rev5 Turbo (GEO 1S)

TOTB13 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
TOTB14 RWD 1/4mile 3rd place (Misfiring)
TOTB15 RWD 1/4mile 2nd place (HG Failure)
TOTB16 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

GeorgeL wrote:Sounds good Jim and im positive that you will see a good gain from doing this...

Had a good browse through earlier and you seriously have me wanting RPF1's big time! The Car seriously is stunning!

Cheers george
I know im only talking about ct series turbos, ha. Your aims are a different league.
But given my 1/4s last year, the car is fast for what it is which I'm happy about with all my tweaks. I don't think anyone last year got near my times with a ct turbo.

There is still more to give too!

Things are going well, interior is exactly how I want it, wired tucked and cleaned/painted engine bay. Brakes and suspension sorted, plus those wheels as you say. Am pleased with the progress.

I sneaked into the latest mr2 calendar too :-) which show of the wheels nicely. :-).

Some of my nicer pics I don't think I've put on here

ashley

Post by ashley »

It has to be said- it is a very pretty car mate, I do like blue :thumleft:
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

jimGTS wrote:
GeorgeL wrote:Sounds good Jim and im positive that you will see a good gain from doing this...

Cheers george
I know im only talking about ct series turbos, ha. Your aims are a different league.
But given my 1/4s last year, the car is fast for what it is which I'm happy about with all my tweaks. I don't think anyone last year got near my times with a ct turbo.

There is still more to give too!

Things are going well, interior is exactly how I want it, wired tucked and cleaned/painted engine bay. Brakes and suspension sorted, plus those wheels as you say. Am pleased with the progress.

Some of the best fun I've had with an MR2 was with a CT20 :) the response is phenomenal!

Yeah we have different goals but both of us have a major thing in common... We want to have a nice road car :thumleft:

By all means yes it's a brilliant time achieved and I can only imagine you are going to beat that with your recent changes.

It has came along great :)

I always admired your previous black MR2 but this one is better.. By a long way
'98 Rev5 Turbo (GEO 1S)

TOTB13 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
TOTB14 RWD 1/4mile 3rd place (Misfiring)
TOTB15 RWD 1/4mile 2nd place (HG Failure)
TOTB16 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

My favourite standard(ish) mr2....even more beautiful when seen in the flesh at santa pod.

Return to “Member Profiles”