[Mk2] [Turbo] rev1 with gt28rs and cop conversion

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

alexg40

[Mk2] [Turbo] rev1 with gt28rs and cop conversion

Post by alexg40 »

Just after a bit of advice..

I've got a rev 1 turbo and recently just got a Link ecu on there..

I'm looking into getting individual coils and wondering what's best to use and what's best to go about doing this?

Also looking into running a gt28rs too, I will be keeping the arc side mount for the time being, also will be swapping the headgasket, cams, injectors etc, just wondering what sort of power they can take on stock internals?

Also will be running an adaptor to use the stock manifold for the time being also..
alanmr2turbo

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] rev1 with gt28rs and cop conversion

Post by alanmr2turbo »

why not just go fully forged if you are changing cams etc?

I'd also change the block for a REV2 as Rev1 are known to be the weakest blocks.
alexg40

Post by alexg40 »

alanmr2turbo wrote:why not just go fully forged if you are changing cams etc?

I'd also change the block for a REV2 as Rev1 are known to be the weakest blocks.

I will be changing internals at a later date..
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

alexg40 wrote:Just after a bit of advice..

I'm looking into getting individual coils and wondering what's best to use and what's best to go about doing this?

Also looking into running a gt28rs too, I will be keeping the arc side mount for the time being, also will be swapping the headgasket, cams, injectors etc, just wondering what sort of power they can take on stock internals?

Also will be running an adaptor to use the stock manifold for the time being also..

I can't recommend which COP to get but I can help you on the way.

COP come in 2 varieties. One has the amplifier in built the other doesn't. Aftermarket ecus have different settings on the spark bit for either.

Can't give you any more specifics but I recently read something in a mag from Dave Walkers Workshop (emerald ecu's) on just this issue. May have been Practical Performance Car.
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

Use the COPS from the 1zz motor. They're stock toyota so top notch
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

Can I ask why you want to even run COP? The 3SGTE ignition, while dated compared to modern cars, is very reliable. Especially when you are only going to get a mild power increase with your modifications.

Seems like lots of extra work for no gain.
ashley

Post by ashley »

alanmr2turbo wrote:

So much wrong with this statement =;
ashley

Post by ashley »

alexg40 wrote:Just after a bit of advice..

The Toyota 1ZZ and 2ZZ coils both go straight on, but the 1ZZ are "reputably" more resiliant, and supposed to be the stronger option.

You'll need a crank timing signal, and a cam sync signal- so you can go for a bolt on kit (eg RacerX), or you can use something like the Toyota 5S oil pump and the 3S Beams crank timing pulley (the oil pump has a bolt in stock crank sensor, and the Beams pulley has a timing sprocket on the back of it). You need to be careful of which oil pump sprocket you use though to make sure it is compatable with the timing belt you use.

For the cam sync you could gut the stock dizzy, or use a bolt on wheel and sensor....lots of options.

Hope that helps some...
alexg40

Post by alexg40 »

Thanks for the replies guys.. It looks like I'll use racer x parts and 1zz coils, also decided to go down the route of a gt3071r :)

There's a few bits which I need to do first though before sourcing the engine parts..

Return to “Modifications”