rev1 coilovers

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

grega1

rev1 coilovers

Post by grega1 »

Hello everyone. This has probably been answered 100 times, and all ebay sellers have written all years of Toyota MR2, but I just wanted to be sure... Are all coilovers for rev2 the same or do I need the REV1 specific type of coilovers or do I need to make some modifications for other revs to fit? I have a broken spring I will have to replace next year when the car will be on the road and all four shocks looks in not so good shape, so I will be installing coilovers instead. And also, do I need also new droplinks or anything else with new coilovers? Also, which coilovers do you perfer. I'm not looking TA technixs for 400€, because our roads are too bumpy, so I need at least a bit of a ride comfort with damper adjustable option front and rear. Also, camber plates are plus, but not a must. I would add a picture how she sits now without front bumper, but I'll need to post more before I would be able to add url to posts

Thank you for all the input, cheers :mrgreen:
abovetherim

Re: rev1 coilovers

Post by abovetherim »

I would look at refurbing the shocks you have with new inserts from tcbparts. Then some apex springs that lower 30mm. New dust boots from mr2ben and new kyb top mounts from the bay.
grega1

Post by grega1 »

abovetherim wrote:I would look at refurbing the shocks you have with new inserts from tcbparts. Then some apex springs that lower 30mm. New dust boots from mr2ben and new kyb top mounts from the bay.

Hey, thanks for the input, but the shocks are beyond refurbing I think. They are rusted, seized and I am looking to have adjustable height, stifness and possibly camber. If you are looking at quality springs and all other parts you are easily at 500+, and that is almost at coilovers range. Unless all your experiences are that coilovers are not for bumpy roads. Also, the car won't be daily, so it's not necessary for ride to be as comfort as with stock suspension.

Thanks
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

600 quid coilovers are going to have cheap dampers in them anyway. I'm not sure what sort of driving that your going to be doing that needs more camber than can be provided by crash bolts.

Also most damping adjustment in these sorts of coilovers is going to be rebound only and again how much are you going to be using that adjustability? Same goes for adjustable rideheight.

For road handling I wouldnt equate stiffness to good handling either.

When abovetherim talks about refurbing dampers, he means buying new strut inserts as your dampers will have a hex nut at the base of the shaft which will allow you to put a new insert in.

If you want a car that handles well for cheap, then i'd be buying new standard parts. If you want to go aftermarket stuff, the 500+ quid coilovers arent going to be that great.

These cars are very sensitive handling wise and i'd rather not cheap out on suspension components.
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

What Race idiot said.

Tcb do standard inserts for £25 a corner, springs are £120 and dust boots are £55 a set. Then its just a wire brush and some paint for the struts and spring cups.
New top mounts if you need for the front are about £38 each.
OK you won't have adjustable damping but it will handle fantastically and cope with the UK roads.

The difference in handling from old tired shocks and springs to new is night and day. Trust me I have just done what I'm recommending.
grega1

Post by grega1 »

Okay, you got me. What about the whole front strut for 56? Is it probably the same as refurbed with new inserts. To be honest, I don't want to deal with saving rusted struts with new inserts, I'll rather order complete new insert and struts and lowering springs. Thank you all!
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

grega1 wrote:Okay, you got me. What about the whole front strut for 56? Is it probably the same as refurbed with new inserts. To be honest, I don't want to deal with saving rusted struts with new inserts, I'll rather order complete new insert and struts and lowering springs. Thank you all!

The new strut from Tcb already has the insert! I bought these genuine ones from him as I was removing billies that are not rebuild able.
The dust boots from mr2ben are ok . if you buy genuine boots from Tcb they will set you back a small fortune.
Your rear top mounts are likely OK. Your front top mounts may have shot bearings.
Apex spring qre available loads of places so get best price.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”