Rev1 pop up lights works one against other

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

grega1

Rev1 pop up lights works one against other

Post by grega1 »

Hey, I'm not sure if anyone had this problem yet. The left light on my rev1 was always up when I bought it, and the right one was working normally with the switch. I found out, that the connector/wires were roasted on left light. I repaired and reconnect everything, and now when left is closed, the right is up and vice versa. I also tried to put different wires together in case if there was a mistake at the motor, but the problem still stays the same. When I turn on the lights one light goes down and other up, and same happens when I turn lights off. The car was hit in front once in his life, but all the frame and everything was untouched. However, whole front was painted, so they probably made a mistake when refitting or something similar (wild guess :-k ). The question is: does the light motor have only two positions? One for lights up and one for lights down and they changed the motor dead position? Or is there any other issue to sort out?

I really hope someone would sort me out :)

Thanks! \:D/ [/img]
grega1

Re: Rev1 pop up lights works one against other

Post by grega1 »

Well, since noone replied, I went in diagrams myself. I tried to switch the motor wires, but the lights still do the same. Is it possible that the retract control is guilty of this? The inside looks okay, but you never know that happened there. Thanks
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

Have you tried turning off, then manually wind down the one that shouldn't be up. Then switch on and see what happens
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

Have you tried turning off, then manually wind down the one that shouldn't be up. Then switch on and see what happens
grega1

Post by grega1 »

Yes I did, both of them, and when trying to switch them on and off again, they went on their normal state, one up and one down, and oposite when i turned lights on :( the right one, the one that has wires intact is harder to turn by hand, that the left one. The left one turns much more freely when turning on hand if thats any help
jimi

Post by jimi »

sounds like one of the control arms is fitted 180 deg out, maybe the short arm on the motor?
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

sounds like your car just don't trust other road users and always wants to keep 1 eye on the road :lol:
mr2garageswindon

Post by mr2garageswindon »

Have you opened up and looked inside the control box? Blue box on RHS as you look into the frunk. I had one before that winked one light up and down while driving along, turned out to be control box. Damp/water ingress should be easy to spot inside it.
grega1

Post by grega1 »

With happines I can say I found out it was the retract relay (blue box). I have them directly connected now, while awaiting for new retract box. Thanks everyone!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :clap: :clap:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”