[Mk2] [NA] What length drop links for 30mm drop?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

DB Mr2

[Mk2] [NA] What length drop links for 30mm drop?

Post by DB Mr2 »

I have just replaced the front top mounts and dampers on the '2' but noticed that one of the drop links was shot. I have 30mm lowering springs on.

I have searched forums and seen lots of posts - some saying longer length, other stating shorter length needed, I am really confused!!

Should it be the drop link mounting point on the strut that determines the length - as this has not changed with the new shocks or the springs used? or as it sits lower to the ARB it should have shorter?

I am currently using standard or longer length drop links (I know because i have an old pair of short ones that i was going to use)

Any advice will be much appreciated!

Dan
synXero

Re: [Mk2] [NA] What length drop links for 30mm drop?

Post by synXero »

The height from shock drop link mounting point to ARB shouldn't have changed...? Only the distance from strut spring cup to top mount.

Maybe I am being retarded but I'm pretty certain you want standard drop links.
karlz0r

Post by karlz0r »

when i swapped from coilies to stock suspension it came with lowering 30mm springs i just brought some standard links to go with it no issues. IIRC the longer links where at the front and the shorter ones where on the back.

Hope this helps
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

With standard struts, use standard droplinks. Simples.
DB Mr2

Post by DB Mr2 »

Cheers guys much appreciated
shinny

Post by shinny »

Standard links should be fine. With a 30mm drop your ARB arms will be angled up, as you've moved the strut's droplink mount 30mm further up into the arch compared to the ARB bush. If you really care about correcting this then get droplinks that are 30mm longer than standard :thumleft:
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

shinny wrote:Standard links should be fine. With a 30mm drop your ARB arms will be angled up, as you've moved the strut's droplink mount 30mm further up into the arch compared to the ARB bush. If you really care about correcting this then get droplinks that are 30mm longer than standard :thumleft:

Doesn't work like that. Try it and see.
shinny

Post by shinny »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
shinny wrote:Standard links should be fine. With a 30mm drop your ARB arms will be angled up, as you've moved the strut's droplink mount 30mm further up into the arch compared to the ARB bush. If you really care about correcting this then get droplinks that are 30mm longer than standard :thumleft:

Doesn't work like that. Try it and see.

Well, I can imagine there's the risk of hitting other parts of the suspension, so I'm happy to accept simply adding 30mm to the droplink length may not work in practice.

On my tubby I've had to fit links that are longer than standard to avoid bent droplinks at the front and interferance between whiteline ARB and BC strut at the back. That said, I'm only talking 10-20mm extra :thumleft:

Edit:

Yes - on my early BCs (which originally claimed to have stock droplink mount location before a few redesigns at the front) you can see my standard length droplink probably won't allow for another 30mm extension before the ARB risks hitting the lower suspension arm:

Still, on an SW20 lowering the car certainly does not mean fitting shorter droplinks unless the design or your coilovers requires it. Even then, particularly at the front you want to watch for the links getting too short, else on full lock and full suspension travel you end up pulling laterally on the droplink. I had this happen alot around hairpins in the Alps three years ago; I took the front driver's wheel off to tighten up the KSport lower mount on the strut a fair few times before eventually my brand new whiteline droplinks give way #-o
Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

Sorry for the hijack, but is it best to pay up the cost for genuine Toyota drop links, or can equivalent quality (ie 14mm thick or better links) be sourced for less? I've noticed Camskill claim to offer OEM quality front, but only cheaper (thinner linked I think) aftermarket rears.
Rev 2 Turbo (Testing my patience)

Golf GTI MK5 (Competent but dull)
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

Marlowe wrote:Sorry for the hijack, but is it best to pay up the cost for genuine Toyota drop links, or can equivalent quality (ie 14mm thick or better links) be sourced for less? I've noticed Camskill claim to offer OEM quality front, but only cheaper (thinner linked I think) aftermarket rears.

The Delphi droplinks on ebay are equal to OEM quality.
Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

Many thanks as always Peter. :thumleft:
Rev 2 Turbo (Testing my patience)

Golf GTI MK5 (Competent but dull)
DB Mr2

Post by DB Mr2 »

Thats my next question answered, cheers again guys!
parker455

Post by parker455 »

Guys I've just found this when browsing the net and I'm having similar issues with my rear ARB hitting the chassis, obviously causing some some of knock.

Cars sitting on 40mm PI springs.

Longer droplinks to combat this?
shinny

Post by shinny »

parker455 wrote:Guys I've just found this when browsing the net and I'm having similar issues with my rear ARB hitting the chassis, obviously causing some some of knock.

Cars sitting on 40mm PI springs.

Longer droplinks to combat this?

I saw (but didn't fully read) your thread on MR2OC. Yes, I would expect lengthening droplinks would help. If you've got the gap between the ARB and the lower suspension arms then there's no reason not to give it a go.

Return to “Mechanical”