[Mk2] [Generic] Mirco GT Fibreglass bucket seat

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Pauln

[Mk2] [Generic] Mirco GT Fibreglass bucket seat

Post by Pauln »

Just wondering if anyone has experience of the Mirco range of bucket seats, in particular the Mirco GT seat.

They are FIA approved so presumably must be constructed to a decent standard. But the big attraction for someone like me with an ever expanding waistline is that they do seem to be rather more roomy in that area than most.

Paul
kennym

seat

Post by kennym »

I sat in a GTS this week it looks well made and good value for money the guy in the shop said they have been making good quality seats for well known brands for years & now do their own, look out for the new robust fabric option released last week

ill be investing when funds allow.
Pauln

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Mirco GT Fibreglass bucket seat

Post by Pauln »

So is the GTS the new fabric version of the GT or a different design?

Was that GSM you visited by any chance. I've dealt with them before over the phone and found them really helpful. It's just Nottingham's a bit of a trek from here just to have a look.

Paul
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

I can really recommend the Bimarco Futura, they're FIA approved, mega comfy, supportive and just fit in an MR2 - you won't get a bigger seat than that in one!

if i remember correctly mine was about £280 a few years ago, mine is on a rogue side mount base (£120-ish) I'm 6'2, about 14 stone and a 34" waist and it's a great fit..

EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
kennym

Seats

Post by kennym »

Op, no the GTS is fabric the old one in like a felt the new one is more hard wearing yes Nottingham I took a 4 hour round trip just to look worth it tho because of fitting issues.

I liked the bimaco I'm 5'10 and when I sat in it the harness holes (which are slanted) were to high so the belts would ride on the plastic no my shoulder they looked to be of a similar quality.
Pauln

Re: Seats

Post by Pauln »

kennym wrote:Op, no the GTS is fabric the old one in like a felt the new one is more hard wearing yes Nottingham I took a 4 hour round trip just to look worth it tho because of fitting issues.

I liked the bimaco I'm 5'10 and when I sat in it the harness holes (which are slanted) were to high so the belts would ride on the plastic no my shoulder they looked to be of a similar quality.

The position of the shoulder harness slots was one of the things that I was unsure of with the Mirco Gt as they looked as though they might be bit higher than my current seat. But if their position was OK for you, I'm around 5' 11", that shouldn't be an issue.

I'm thinking of going for the black vinyl option to fit in a bit better with my stock leather passenger seat. But it's worth knowing the the GTS has a stronger fabric in case I change my mind.

I fitted a Sparco Pro2000 driver's seat a few years ago, which I really like, but am finding it just a bit too tight around the waist these days, it also has fairly high side bolsters on the seat which makes it a bit of a pain getting in and out of the car.

But the main thing is that I really can't justify spending the £418 needed to replace it with the latest wider model from Sparco and I think I'd have problems fitting the wider Sparco seat in my current seat frame.

But £215 for the Mirco with an extra 50mm width at the waist should make all the difference, and seems much more affordable.

Paul
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

Hi Kenny rang GSM today for a chat about the Mirco GT and RTS seats. The guy I spoke to seemed to think it was the RTS you sat in, which is the roomier of the two models.

So as in my case the roomier the better (within reason), I've ordered an RTS in black vinyl for the driver's side. Hopefully with a split front cushion. The standard in vinyl seems to be a one piece cushion, but he seemed to think the split cushion as on the fabric version shouldn't be a problem.

So now it's just a case of waiting for a delivery date from the factory in Poland and hoping I don't hit any snags fitting it. If all goes according to plan and it does the job, I'll then have to think about ordering one for the passenger side.

I'll let you know how it all goes.

Paul
kennym

Seats

Post by kennym »

Yes sorry my mistake it was the RTS
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

My new Mirco RTS seat arrived the other day, and I've just finished fitting it in the car.

First impressions are that it seems to be quite a comfy seat and better suited to my expanding waistline than my previous Sparco.

But that comes at a price. It's also a tighter fit in the Cabin than the Sparco, and I suspect is probably the widest seat that you could actual fit.

I've re-used my old Sparco side mounts and Sparco MR2 seat frame and rails. The seating position is I think a little higher than the Sparco, probably because the seat cushion is about twice as thick, but there's still reasonable clearance between my head and the roof even with the T-bar sun shields in place.

I've also had to tilt the Mirco back a bit further than I did with the Sparco (1 hole up at the front) largely because it has a much flatter bottom profile than the Sparco and so wouldn't fit any lower at the front. But it still doesn't seem that the back rest is angled back that much further than my stock passenger seat.

The Mirco RTS also has a longer seat than the Sparco, but despite that it actually feels easier to get out of the car than it did when the Sparco was fitted.

Construction seems to be generally pretty good. but the amount of velcro holding the split leg cushions in place was a bit OTT and putting a strain on the fabric under the cushion, so I've taped over some of it.

The real test will of course be the first long trip, but so far I'm pleased and it seems good value for money.

Paul
rev3turbo

Post by rev3turbo »

they look very good quality, bloody huge though!

where did you get the harnesses from, ive been umming/arrring for a few years on whether to get some or not
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

Yes at just under £263 delivered I think they are pretty good value for money, and the quality seems pretty good backed up with FIA approval. But they are big and aimed at those needing a bigger seat. They also do a smaller GT seat at around £216, which was what I was originally thinking of buying. But having talked to the guys at GSM I wasn't sure that model would have given me that much more room than my previous seat. Having sat in this one now I think that was the right decision for me.

At some point I want to whip out the centre "tunnel panel" and see if I can create a small gap between the hand brake cover and the seat as it's rubbing a bit at he moment.

The harness is a Schroth Profi III FE. They aren't cheap I think in total including brackets the setup cost around £290. But at the time it was the only one I could find of this type which offered the option of an EEC approved "red button" release rather than the more traditional twist release mechanism, and come with a built in anti-submarining feature (the yellow patch on the inner shoulder strap).

The shoulder straps clip into eylets bolted through the rear firewall with suitable reinforcement, and the inner waist strap clips into a eyelet bolted through the floor. As I didn't want to use the small stub on the tunnel.

Paul
kennym

Seats

Post by kennym »

Very nice Paul

Return to “Modifications”