Super Edition

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jon_st205

Re: Super Edition

Post by jon_st205 »

Here you go, Derek finally did the post-auction walk-around :) Very pleased....lots of things are easy fixes, even the SE seat is very fixable by the looks. Just waiting on a report on if there's any rot.

There's a few inaccuracies which will make the mk1 guys smile, but don't be too hard on him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NTtYAWmnvA

I love mystery on/off switches!

Cheers,
Jon
Ben

Post by Ben »

Had a quick skim through on mute, but that looks bloody lovely 8)
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
jayelem

s/c

Post by jayelem »

Hi. Looks decent matey but what kinda money was it if its ok to ask?
jon_st205

Re: s/c

Post by jon_st205 »

jayelem wrote:Hi. Looks decent matey but what kinda money was it if its ok to ask?

I'd prefer not to say at the moment. However if you don't mind putting a bit of effort in it's not too tricky to work out. At the end of the video Derek gives you an indication of the Yen auction price of mk1's in general - add to that auction/export cost of about £500, shipping £500, import duty, VAT, dock fees, transport, even before the pre-MOT & light resto work the car needs - not cheap. I will say that I also bid on a nice looking n/a tin-top mk1, auction grade 4 - very nice condition and low miles - and that didn't reach its reserve at the Sterling equivalent of £3.5k...

The underneath looks like it's in excellent condition from the pics I've received, even with the high mileage. Really goes to show that it's the salt on our roads that kills UK cars.

I'm guessing the mystery button is for the aftermarket fogs given the wiring in the frunk. Not 100% decided but I think they'll have to go as the front end looks a little odd with them on. If only they were the original flip-up jobbies!

Cheers,
Jon
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Regardless of cost, it looks lush! Love the colour combo.
jon_st205

Post by jon_st205 »

If anyone has a better res version of this (or even an original) I'd be very interested in acquiring it. This is as much as Derek could make out:

Limited two tone paint
Bronze tinted glass
??? wheels
Coloured side protector, moulding, outside door handle
Limited sticker
Roof spoiler with sticker
Coloured rear mud guard
MOMO steering wheel
Part leather sports seats
??? brake ??? (I think it is the same thing as in the picture- leather wrapped e-brake)

Potenza RE11 185/60R14 82H tires
Front and rear stabilizer bars
Tuned suspension
Electric folding coloured door mirrors
Power windows and door locks

Limited run of 300 units
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

All SC's came with diamond polished teardrops.

The seats look stock with a part leather and hopefully alcantara trim.

IIRC all SC's from 88 on had front and rear ARB's. It was the earlier 87 models that only had a front one, much the same as JDM NA's.

The suspension is the same as any other AW11. I wouldn't expect it to be any different.

I hope the roof spoiler sticker is in good condition. It cost Mark about £300 to get a couple made! They are screen printed so expensive to properly replace.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
jon_st205

Post by jon_st205 »

Thanks Lauren, I was merely posting the translation.

I wouldn't be too surprised if they came with a slightly different geo setup or something (otherwise they couldn't put that on a sales brochure), but of course it's fairly meaningless on a 27 year old modified example.

Cheers,
Jon
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Looks nice, the exhaust looks very similar to the one on my SC,
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Watanabes are good! :+:

Any other modifications you know of?
jon_st205

Post by jon_st205 »

Nope, TRD springs but unsure if shocks are damping adjustable. Would hazard a guess it will be running a larger crank pulley but won't know until it lands.

I thought the different profile tyres (rather than widths) front to rear a bit odd. Some jdm tuning technique or merely to better fill the arches?

Cheers,
Jon
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

What sizes are the tyres?

Sounds like a crap technique to me!

Will be interesting to see what it comes with. I've got TRD springs on my AE86, I'm not a fan if I'm honest, ditto TRD dampers.

But the trouble is mine were a good ten years old. It all depends what's on there and what they've put on of course. Coilovers is a way better solution as I've now learnt!
jon_st205

Post by jon_st205 »

Well it finally arrived, and is better than I hoped. Looks like a fairly cherished example. Needs a bit of help but nothing major yet. The underneath looks like a modern car after a couple of years....amazing to see one without welding and general scabbiness. The battery seems to have come back to life after a good day on charge, which is a nice bonus :thumleft:

Not very good pics yet as I've not had time to wash it yet - tomorrow, if the weather remains good.

Image[/img]

Still a few weeks before it's registered and can be put on the road, so I'll do a few 'easy win' jobs on the car in the meantime.

Very small steering wheel and 205 width tyres are not a good mix, so I may see if I can get a wheel in similar style to the original SE wheel with a bit more diameter. Maybe I just got used to PS!

Cheers,
Jon
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Looks good. Try 195's instead. What width are the rims?
autobody
Premium Member

Post by autobody »

Glad to see another SE in the UK. That floor looks in amazing condition =P~
autobody
Premium Member

Post by autobody »

jon_st205 wrote:I may see if I can get a wheel in similar style to the original SE wheel with a bit more diameter.

I should have a spare original momo SE steering wheel but it does not have the horn cover. :thumleft:
jon_st205

Post by jon_st205 »

autobody wrote:
jon_st205 wrote:I may see if I can get a wheel in similar style to the original SE wheel with a bit more diameter.

I should have a spare original momo SE steering wheel but it does not have the horn cover. :thumleft:

Cheers, that's a great shout, wonder if the horn cover could be obtained separately? I'll scout about.

Jon
jon_st205

Post by jon_st205 »

So the battery is toast after all as it doesn't last more than a few days without the engine running.

The one fitted is a 44B19L, I think a B19 battery translates to a UK type 012 - can anyone confirm?

I also need a spark plug valley plate & gasket for the 4AGZE if anyone has one (long shot I know), 'tis different to the 4AGE.

Cheers,
Jon
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Pretty sure the (uncool) spark plug plate is the same on GZE's as it is on 4AGE's.

I've got a pretty good one that was painted for my 4AGE but not fitted as they are a pain IMO. It seems to be the thing in Japan not to fit them, so I didn't bother with mine.
jon_st205

Post by jon_st205 »

Ha, yeah seems to be the Jap way to get rid of them and to be fair the leads are on there pretty securely so doubt they'd come out; I just don't like the idea of all manner of crap/moisture in that area.

Have tried a 4AGE one as, like you, I was convinced they were the same, but they ain't! ZE version is about 10mm narrower. Have got one coming now anyway.

Still need a bit of backup info on the battery type if anyone can help, google does not turn anything up. I'll look in the very cool original Japanese manual but don't hold out a lot of hope that I'll be able to read it.

Cheers,
Jon

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”