Questions, Questions, Questions

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr299ron

Questions, Questions, Questions

Post by mr299ron »

Hi guys

So I recently bought an MR2 Rev 2 Turbo and I would love it if someone could give me an insight on a few questions I have.

1. Where is a good place to buy legitimate aftermarket parts for the Mr2 turbo, e.g intercooler, boost gauge etc.

2. Why doesn't the turbo pull easily to the red line once past 5500-6000? Is this just simply because the turbo the rev 2 has simply dies off around this time?

3. I want to improve cooling. How does an intercooler and front alloy radiator sound? Both? Or will one or the other suffice?

4. How much does it cost to take the car to a dyno and have it tuned after I fit an EBC?

Sorry for noob questions. You gotta start somewhere.

Cheers
99ron
gmac90

Re: Questions, Questions, Questions

Post by gmac90 »

Welcome,

To answer your questions:

1. Try Fensport, xxxx, Mr2Ben, Rouge Motorsports

2. The Rev 2 Turbo uses the CT26 turbo and Rev 3 on wards use the CT20b turbo, both good turbos and many people argue which one is better for them but basically the CT20b pulls right to the top end if you look on MR2OC.co.uk there is a good article about them

3. If you want to majorly improve cooling go for a charge cooler from the celica gt4. Should find plenty of them on ebay as most of the gt4 boys opt for front mounted intercoolers.

4. Google you nearest dyno place and give them a phone!
vtecpower

Post by vtecpower »

mr299ron wrote:Hi guys

So I recently bought an MR2 Rev 2 Turbo and I would love it if someone could give me an insight on a few questions I have.

1. Where is a good place to buy legitimate aftermarket parts for the Mr2 turbo, e.g intercooler, boost gauge etc.

2. Why doesn't the turbo pull easily to the red line once past 5500-6000? Is this just simply because the turbo the rev 2 has simply dies off around this time?

3. I want to improve cooling. How does an intercooler and front alloy radiator sound? Both? Or will one or the other suffice?

4. How much does it cost to take the car to a dyno and have it tuned after I fit an EBC?

Cheers
99ron

just to answer your question about the turbo when i owned my mr2 turbo (Rev2) many moons ago at santapod I figured the best times i got when was when i shifted at 6000k not redline or at 5500 if you shift at 6000k car will pull hard in the next gear
mr299ron

Post by mr299ron »

vtecpower wrote:
mr299ron wrote:Hi guys

Cheers
99ron

just to answer your question about the turbo when i owned my mr2 turbo (Rev2) many moons ago at santapod I figured the best times i got when was when i shifted at 6000k not redline or at 5500 if you shift at 6000k car will pull hard in the next gear

Yeah 6k seems to be the optimum rev range and it definitely pulls harder! Some days I shift at 5500-5k and I'm like.. where the fudge is my power!

Thanks for your reply bud
mr299ron

Post by mr299ron »

gmac90 wrote:Welcome,

To answer your questions:

1. Try Fensport, xxxx, Mr2Ben, Rouge Motorsports

2. The Rev 2 Turbo uses the CT26 turbo and Rev 3 on wards use the CT20b turbo, both good turbos and many people argue which one is better for them but basically the CT20b pulls right to the top end if you look on MR2OC.co.uk there is a good article about them

3. If you want to majorly improve cooling go for a charge cooler from the celica gt4. Should find plenty of them on ebay as most of the gt4 boys opt for front mounted intercoolers.

4. Google you nearest dyno place and give them a phone!

Sounds good! Thanks for your answers!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”