Crash repairs

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

chambers360

Crash repairs

Post by chambers360 »

So a few months back i lost the back end on my rev 3 turbo and took a signpost out the ground, been spending weekends trying to put it back together, rather this than see it in the scrapyard!

Its in the garage for mot at the moment waiting for windscreen replacement, so while i wait i thought id share the progress with it so far.

With the car being lowered on apexi n1 coilovers the sill didnt clear the curb and took a fair amount of damage before the signpost hit the drivers door

Image[/URL]

The first thing i did was find myself a replacement door, the only back door i could find was and empty shell, no glass, no motor etc it also had the grey strip rather than the colour coded one so i taped it all off sanded it down and sprayed it up

[/img]Image

Image[/URL]

Not a perfect match but close enough for now,
Next step getting the damaged door off and swapping all the componants out into the new door

Trickiest part for me on this was getting the window aligned and adjusted properly, its still catching slightly on the way up so may need to go back and have another look at this at some point.

With the door back on and looking good it was time to tackle the sill, anyone whos had sill repairs done will no the replacement parts you can get are crazy expensive and not very long, i looked at close matches from other cars but decided to just make one from scratch.
First i cut out all the damaged section and measured up for size, the box underneath looks pretty heavily damaged but its not as bad as it looks and is still solid so i left this as it is

[/img]Image

Image[/URL]

I fabricated the new sill by folding a 80ish degree fold at the bottom by clamping it to some angle iron and tapping with a hammer then i clamped it to the sill the other side and used a deadblow hammer to mould the metal to the shape of the sill

[/img]Image

After some final cutting and shaping the final product looked pretty convincing

Image[/URL]

Ran into abit of of a brickwall at thispoint as i needed the sill welding in, so i decided to change out the suspension

The apexi coilovers where way to hard for road use and where probably a contributing factor to the crash in the first place so i bought some used lowish milage bilstein blacks cleaned them up new lower springs and dust boots

[/img]Image

Image[/URL]

Cars now in the garage having the sill welded and the mot done and a couple of other little bits hopefully have it back soon,

Next step will be into the bodyshop for a fullkit... On that note if anyone knows of any good quality replica toms let me know!

[/img]
acf8181

Re: Crash repairs

Post by acf8181 »

Think i'd have just swapped the strip over from the orig door
chambers360

Post by chambers360 »

I did think about it but did abit of reading and the general idea was that there fairly flimsy and crack easily
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Nice work , cant be easy swapping a door ... :clap:
craig

Post by craig »

Top effort mate, well done!
Torero

Post by Torero »

Nice Job :clap:
3VZ-FE V6 TRD Widebody Replica

Draven wrote "TRD dude. TRD... Can see awesomness from anywhere. "

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
Angpozzuto

Post by Angpozzuto »

Looking good
I've done the same repair to my car after the previous owner had a mishap with a lamp post. The glass is a real pain to get to close properly I think mine took nearly 3hours of tinkering to get a decent result. Also get your wheel alignment checked in case you've damaged something else especially if you hit a kerb sideways
chambers360

Post by chambers360 »

Yer the glass is really fiddly to adjust it fits well when the doors shut no gaps or anything its just catching somewhere on the way up, but if i most the glass out it dosnt seal properly so i just left it for now,

The wheel is another issue at the moment because the car drives fine dosnt pull and is smooth but the drivers side wheel is sitting about 20mm further towards the back of the arch than the passenger side, ive had a good look around underneath and cant see anything obviously bent or damaged the garage had it up on the ramps and said they cant see any damage either, so im abit confused about that one, i did tell them to get all the alignment checked and everything so ill just have to wait and see what they say when i pick it up.

Wont be getting it back for another week now cus they windscreen guy turned up with the wrong glass had to rebook
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Crikey, 20mm is a lot!

I changed my door earlier this year, same as you swapped everything into an empty shell - not as easy as I thought it'd be :lol: Still haven't got around to aligning the glass properly, it does seal but only when I open the door then wind the window up 8)
chambers360

Post by chambers360 »

Yer weird how noone can find any damage and it still drives perfect tho...ill find the problem eventually the list of possibilitys cant be that long lol

Yer getting it all swapped isnt difficult just abit tedious when i got it all back on and wound the window up i was gutted when it stopped 3 inches from the top lol
acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

chambers360 wrote:I did think about it but did abit of reading and the general idea was that there fairly flimsy and crack easily

think that's he other bits....door trim is rubbery, changed some myself once
chambers360

Post by chambers360 »

Collected car from one garage and dropped it straight to another after 2 months of waiting for an mot :-/ handles a hell of alot better the stock shocks and aftermarket springs tho, some of the electrics still shot after frying it with the jumpleads :-( boost gauge is all over the place and will need replacing, as accourding to that im vacuuming at 5000rpm and running 20psi at idle... Sill looks a mess as the garage seemed to have painted it with what i can only describe as tarmac

Brake calipers sticking, pads need replacing.

Its gunna be a long and expensive road to recovery

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”