Piston and Conrod installation

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mark35

Piston and Conrod installation

Post by mark35 »

I have got a engine which has all ready been stripped and was wondering if there was any way of telling which piston/Conrod is which.
The Pistons and conrods are still attached to each other.
The numbers stamped in to the under side of the block are 2232
Would like to rebuild the bottom end keeping the original pistons and conrods and just replace the rings/crankshaft/Conrod bearings and hone the bores.
Any advice welcome.

Cheers Mark
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Re: Piston and Conrod installation

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Do you have a copy of the Toyota Manual?

http://manual.teq.org/ Download, read and follow. :thumleft:

From what I recall (it has been a few years) the numbers on the block combine with those on the crank to give you the main bearing sizes.

If the person who stripped the engine did not label the conrods then I don't know of a way to match them back to their position in the engine. The numbers on the conrods are for bearing size as well.

The pistons will have numbers on them but again this is a sizing number, as there were a few different ones.

I suppose you could accurately measure the bores and the pistons and that would give you the best chance of matching them up.
mark35

Pistons

Post by mark35 »

Have worked out the crankshaft bearings that are needed by the numbers that are marked on the block and crankshaft
Is it the same for the conrods ie numbers on block plus number on the conrod caps.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Re: Pistons

Post by LimeyMk1 »

mark35 wrote:Have worked out the crankshaft bearings that are needed by the numbers that are marked on the block and crankshaft
Is it the same for the conrods ie numbers on block plus number on the conrod caps.

I'd have to check the manual for that one. Def not the numbers on the block though.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Conrod bearing sizes are on the bearing cap. :thumleft:

EM-80 in the manual.
mark35

Pistons

Post by mark35 »

I have markings 1123 on the conrod caps. Still don't know how to match the pistons to the right cylinder bores.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Re: Pistons

Post by LimeyMk1 »

mark35 wrote:I have markings 1123 on the conrod caps. Still don't know how to match the pistons to the right cylinder bores.

Cool so you can order the bearings from that if you are getting them from Toyota. If not the thickness ranges for each number you have are listed in the manual I put the link to.

I've been scratching my head over matching up the conrods. Only other thing I can think of is to look at the wear marks on the conrods and the crank and see if there are any differences that can be matched up. :-k
mark35

Pistons

Post by mark35 »

Thinking that the best way is to have the crank regrounded so I can fit undersized bearings.
That way I know I should not have any major fail/fault problems.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Or lots of plastigauge to check each conrod at each position on the crank? Lol
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Limey didn't you say about the letter 'M' being on one half of the rod and matching the half with the cap? I checked mine but they don't match like that though...

I'm going to put mine back on the way they went I and thoroughly clean the caps and rods before new earrings go in.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Yup I think all my conrods have a stamp across the conrod-cap join. 99% sure it's an M.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

In some cases it's a K, but either way you must make sure the cap matches the rod.
mark35

Pistons

Post by mark35 »

My ones are all stamped with a M but it seems that the M is stamped 99.9 % on one side of the cap and not across the joint.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Does anyone know what the letters mean on the conrod itself?

Mine look like they have the letter 'c' stamped..

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”