realistic price for a rust free mr2?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Richman711

realistic price for a rust free mr2?

Post by Richman711 »

Hi guys

Only Just joined the fourm today, I'm hoping to find my self a mk2 mr2 n/a to replace my current corrado g60.

Had my first viewing today and it was a big let down tbh, car was pretty tidy for age (few scratches, dents etc). But the near side bottom of arch/sill was completely rotten, as in i could put my hand through it. I don't mean the actual sill just the arch.

Any way I have a budget of 2k but I'm worried that I'm going to struggle to find a relatively rust free example?

Cheers
raptor95GTS

Re: realistic price for a rust free mr2?

Post by raptor95GTS »

if you look at one and it's rust free then ask yourself what's been done or covered over. The cars are what 20yrs+ old so a clean rust free one will be rare and tbh some folks want the world for nothing, maybe buy a known tatty one and fix it up if you have the skills and time? Another option maybe?

oh and welcome :thumleft:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Hi Rich you can with abit of haggling get a nice n/a for 2k got to get proactive start looking ... this sites good for a start ..

Best of luck mate .. buy a minter :thumleft:

Ow yeah welcome bud :D
Richman711

Post by Richman711 »

Cheers for the welcome guys

I think the no rust statement was probably a bit extreme, I've got a classic beetle so rust is sadly very too familiar and I certainly don't need any more cars that I need to spend my time welding lol.

A bit of rust ( no gaping holes ) would be ideal. At the moment I'm in the posiion to buy a quick fixer upper like one with a dead clutch.

Any way time will tell what I find

Cheers
2mad

Post by 2mad »

2k will get you a nice one mate :thumleft:
Nails

Post by Nails »

raptor95GTS wrote:if you look at one and it's rust free then ask yourself what's been done or covered over. The cars are what 20yrs+ old so a clean rust free one will be rare and tbh some folks want the world for nothing, maybe buy a known tatty one and fix it up if you have the skills and time? Another option maybe?

oh and welcome :thumleft:

I dont agree with that statement if we're talking all mr2s. UK ones yes I agree would be very rare rust free but if include imports then there is still rust free ones out there.
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

Fresh imports usally have with no rust just very little surface rust under the car on the nuts and bolts or some rev 5 that's has been store in a garage... I got one for £1000 and sold it for the same so you can get them cheap... its all down to you for looking and my rev 3 turbo is rust issue free as well

Being Rare not really just do the research before you look at the car will save you tons of time or picture under the car is the best way to tell
MR2 REV 3 TURBO 450BHP
3000GT VR4 TT 500BHP
EVO X FQ360
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

2k should get you a mint NA, as mentioned above look for an import that hasn't been in the country a long time. Or a pampered garaged uk car
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
outrun

Post by outrun »

I have a black R reg Rev 5 UK sunroof car here.
I bought it to use for parts for my Rev 2 Turbo.
I will be fitting my old stuff back to the Rev 5 and then advertising it for sale, very shortly.

It has covered 130K, has MOT until April next year and had had the rear of the outer sills patched and the rear arch lips are tatty. Still a nice car though, and one worth spending a little time and money on.

Drives faultlessly. It has a raspy Tony Banks twin exit, too.

Is this something you would be interested in, OP?
Richman711

Post by Richman711 »

Hi

Cheers for the offer but by the description its probably not quite what I'm after.

Cheers tho:)
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

I bought a mint rev5 na for 800 so they are out there you just have to keep an eye out
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Wow thats what im talking about :thumleft:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Sounds nice .. get full member ship .. sell it on the site :thumleft: .. cheeper than ebay by miles :D
imreallyslowme

Post by imreallyslowme »

2mad wrote:Sounds nice .. get full member ship .. sell it on the site :thumleft: .. cheeper than ebay by miles :D

Hi, yep I think you're right.. will go over and take some proper pics and get it done :-)
HATE Ebay anyway
Cheers
StevenstonWullie

Post by StevenstonWullie »

mine is a 95 tubby ....no rust on it whats so ever nothing covered up I keep it clean especially underneath and rustproof using fluidfilm and acf 50 ....only one prob I would never sell
Rob

Post by Rob »

Lots of the time people think their car is rust free because they can't see any on the outside. I was one, having owned my UK car since it was 8 years old. I discovered rust having owned the car for 10 years and always being highly attentive to it.

You need to look into the rear of the sills (the only way is to strip back the panel behind the seats and remove the foam lump from inside the skin construction - chances are that if there is foam there is rust in the sills unless the car is a later import and or been garaged).

The other place is behind the rear wheel wells accessible from behind the boot carpet.

I have paid out a total of 2k for a proper job repair to the 2 sill ends. Anyone who says they have paid less than £500 (per side) has only has the sill covered over with fresh metal, trapping the rot in place once again.

The internal structure 99% of the time needs replacing as the aforementioned foam traps moisture and rots the sills from inside out when it drops onto the sill structural boxes inside and blocks the drainage hole.
Richman711

Post by Richman711 »

Cheers Rob, they sound like some pretty conclusive ways on find rust on these, guessing when purchasing one tho all i can do is go by the external not what rot hides within:(
StevenstonWullie

Post by StevenstonWullie »

I can assure you mine is rust free ...box sections treated annually ...car is solid

Rob wrote:Lots of the time people think their car is rust free because they can't see any on the outside. I was one, having owned my UK car since it was 8 years old. I discovered rust having owned the car for 10 years and always being highly attentive to it.

You need to look into the rear of the sills (the only way is to strip back the panel behind the seats and remove the foam lump from inside the skin construction - chances are that if there is foam there is rust in the sills unless the car is a later import and or been garaged).

The other place is behind the rear wheel wells accessible from behind the boot carpet.

I have paid out a total of 2k for a proper job repair to the 2 sill ends. Anyone who says they have paid less than £500 (per side) has only has the sill covered over with fresh metal, trapping the rot in place once again.

The internal structure 99% of the time needs replacing as the aforementioned foam traps moisture and rots the sills from inside out when it drops onto the sill structural boxes inside and blocks the drainage hole.
Rob

Post by Rob »

StevenstonWullie wrote:I can assure you mine is rust free ...box sections treated annually ...car is solid

Rob wrote:Lots of the time people think their car is rust free because they can't see any on the outside. I was one, having owned my UK car since it was 8 years old. I discovered rust having owned the car for 10 years and always being highly attentive to it.

I'm not suggesting yours has rust, just that most people think they don't rust.

Treating box sections like you have done is perfect and a massive selling point for your car. Had I known about this problem in 2002 when I got the car I would have done the same.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”