Fitting a hurley acis spacer

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

richstany

Fitting a hurley acis spacer

Post by richstany »

Hi,
I recently bought a hurley acis spacer (second hand for a good price on ebay) and went to fit it today and was unsure what to do about the two studs. I have the original fitting kit but not the instructions.
Can the studs be removed with a set of mole grips? And if so has anyone got any experience of doing this ie do they come out easily?
Im a bit weary of snapping a stud just to fit what may turn out just to be a bit of engine bling!
thomp1983

Re: Fitting a hurley acis spacer

Post by thomp1983 »

There supposed to work well. Regards the stud spray it in plus gas then eithrteither use a proper stud removal socket or the two nut method. If you find it binds up when removing then wind it in a bit apply some more plus gas and gently work it back and forth.
richstany

Post by richstany »

Thanks, I've managed to get one of the studs out but struggling with the other. Can you reccomend anywhere local in derby to get a tin of plus gas. I've got a generic penetrating oil that I've been using but may have more luck with plus gas.
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

Pcs motorfactors should sell it there in derby. A bit of heat from a blow torch should help aswell
richstany

Post by richstany »

Nice one thanks, think I'll get some new nuts as well however tight I get them they both start spinning before the stud will move (only have a spanner on the lower of the two btw)
richstany

Post by richstany »

Finally got it out. Ended up investing in a stud removal tool I could use with an impact gun and it came straight out. Thanks for the help.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”