Suspect oil leaks - SMOKE EVERYWHERE

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Bumble-bee

Suspect oil leaks - SMOKE EVERYWHERE

Post by Bumble-bee »

Hi guys,

As the title says I think I'm leaking oil.... Here what's happened could you please help!

So I recently changed my exhaust and in order to put the decat on I had to unscrew the oil filter and then unscrew the bolt inside and then used a screw driver in the hole of that thread to sort of budge this part of the filter out the way Image

Could this be leaking oil now, or not? Will it just need tightening or a new one?
Because I drive alone and Inves it's warm and I govenit some the smoke is terrible but when cold it's not there, I accide started the car without the filter on and oil went everywhere but I've gunked it and jet washed it all but it's also dripping on my flex and that's smoking too.... Please help guys, I just want that smoke to stop!

But that's all I've touched!
thomp1983

Re: Suspect oil leaks - SMOKE EVERYWHERE

Post by thomp1983 »

That's the oil sandwich plate it has an o ring seal from memory. Get a new oil filter, drain your oil remove the sandwich plate check any seal for damage then refit it and torque the bolt property with a new seal if required
killerferret666

Post by killerferret666 »

When my oil filter blew off it took ages for the smoke to go and oil to disappear.

If you suspect it's that, drive around the block and stop and look for the smoke source.
My Blog on Miami GT4 kit car build using MR2 Donor Car

http://miamigt4kitcar.blogspot.co.uk/

twitter for photo's as I'm building -
www.twitter.com/iwanabeaferret
Bumble-bee

Post by Bumble-bee »

Yeah the smoke comes from around the filter area and I did pour 3 odd litres out of there so it could still be clearing but it's 4 weeks now and the smoke it still loads and loads of it
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Bumble-bee wrote:Hi guys,

As the title says I think I'm leaking oil.... Here what's happened could you please help!

So I recently changed my exhaust and in order to put the decat on I had to unscrew the oil filter and then unscrew the bolt inside and then used a screw driver in the hole of that thread to sort of budge this part of the filter out the way Image Replaced With URL For Quote [url]http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll190/ooanthonylarkenoo/691C6DC2-D9AE-486E-849D-DC89075C20E4_zpsg8zxlhjk.png[/URL]

Could this be leaking oil now, or not? Will it just need tightening or a new one?
Because I drive alone and Inves it's warm and I govenit some the smoke is terrible but when cold it's not there, I accide started the car without the filter on and oil went everywhere but I've gunked it and jet washed it all but it's also dripping on my flex and that's smoking too.... Please help guys, I just want that smoke to stop!

But that's all I've touched!

It is hard to get the oil cooler bolt back in if the two water pipes are still connected, it does not sit square then the bolt goes in cross threaded and the cooler will not seal.

Remove the two parts in your photo and check to see if the thread is damaged
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Bumble-bee

Post by Bumble-bee »

Alright the only problem is trying to find time to do this is the two parts pictured easy to remove? With the engine off and coolant in and oil in the engine, will anything go anywhere? I'll check all the seals when I do it aswell :) hopefully it just needs tightening up down there I don't want to have to by new bits again :(
Draven

Post by Draven »

That is the oil cooler. It will pee oil everywhere and coolant. when you take it off. It a little difficult to remove it is just behind the driver.

The hoses from hell run directly into it. and they are right next to the manifold.

and the second one in the picture is the sandwich plate underneath the Oil Filter which is a little easier to remove it is underneath the oil cooler.

:thumleft: good luck
Bumble-bee

Post by Bumble-bee »

Ohhhh God really?!? I've just cleaned the bay from all the oil :') well I have coolant and a litre of oil to replace it all with, shall I just not take the hoses off and check it? :') or can I plug the hoses or stop it pouring out some how? I need to get this sorted because the smoke is clearly coolant and oil burning off on whatever's hot down there as its seeping out
Draven

Post by Draven »

Right first thing i'd do is check if oil is actually leaking put a bit of paper under the car. If it is actually dripping you've got a problem.

Did you use WD40 to help you losen the bolts when undoing the exhaust ?

When I did mine I sprayed everywhere with WD40 libberally. When i started the car up after it smoked like crazy for quite a while until it burned all of the WD40 off.

The remains of the GUNK will also burn off which will cause smoke.

If you are actually leaking oil it will drip out.
Bumble-bee

Post by Bumble-bee »

Well you see I don't the exhaust 4 weekends ago so it's getting to the point where it should all be burnt off? And it's still smoking :( I did put a screw driver in the thread of the oil cooler and push it out the way to get the bottom bolt off the exhaust! I don't know if this is causing it but that's my guess? And it really smokes if I give it some it's not too bad if I just drive along and you can only notice the smoke when the cars stationary but on :( I need help with this! But it does drip onto the flexi and smoke everywhere, it runs down the sump but then again 4 weekends ago I started it with the oil filter off and lost 3 litres of oil down there but surely that's all gone and now I just have a leak where I bent the cooler or loosened it? I wish I didn't have a leak though
Draven

Post by Draven »

So next thing is to put a bit of paper under the car over the night make 100% sure it is leaking. This will also give you a good idea exactly where the leak is coming from. If it is the oil cooler then it is a bit of a xxxxxx to get to if you damaged the threads in the cooler itself you'll need to replace it.

It is possible to do but takes time and patience. There is a thread somewhere. I would recommend replacing the hoses from hell whilst you're doing this simply because you're in the same place and they are very common to fail in high milage MR2's due to their location near the manifold the heat breaks down the rubber and you'll have what I had when they let go and drop the entire contents of your coolant over the M1

:thumleft:
Bumble-bee

Post by Bumble-bee »

Shall I just wrap the oil cooler in kitchen roll over night and check it in the morning? Yeah that's what im scared of I don't want to spend more money until pay day so topping it up will have to do if it's low but the oil levels haven't moved but there's still oil there after 4 degreesing and wash and 4 weeks of daily driving lol, my car only has 53k miles on it, will they still be a problem?
Draven

Post by Draven »

It is very hard to tell. Wrap it and see whether there is any oil leaking. Its hard to diagnose without looking.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”