MK1 caliper carriers senior moment

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tony jinxy froude

MK1 caliper carriers senior moment

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

Hi Guys, could someone please remind me if there is any difference in the front calliper carrier between a MK1a & MK1b, also if they are handed ? I simply cannot remember. I have a stack of them here with different casting marks on them & cant for the life of me remember where they all came from, much appreciated, cheers, Jinxy
PW@Woodsport

Re: MK1 caliper carriers senior moment

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Hi Tony, yep they are different and handed.

The Mk1a should be marked with 18v into the casting of the carrier and the Mk1b will be marked with 22v2, each bracket will also have L or R cast into it to remind you which way your wellies go on :thumleft:
Tony jinxy froude

Thank you sir you are indeed a gentleman, i did try & phone you last night for the answer, but you blanked me lol !!!!I half thought there was a difference but couldn't remember. As for the L & R casting on them I've not noticed yet will have to take a closer look cheers mate, Jinx
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Sorry mate, i was busy so missed your call.
Tony jinxy froude

LOL thats ok mate i know your busy. Ive had a look at all four carriers & although they do have the 18v & 22v2 casting marks on them, none of them have a L or R mark anywhere, so im still at a loss as to what side they fit ? anyone have any ideas ?, cheers, Jinx
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Sorry, just the caliper part has L or R on it, the carrier bracket doesn't, but you can easily tell which side they are for.
Tony jinxy froude

I knew the calliper had L & R on it you Dingbat but I can't for the life of me see how the carrier can be sided ? The casting marks are at both sides of the carrier so one is never upside down ??? Cheers jinx
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

They have different part numbers in the EPC, so they must be handed.
Picaro

Post by Picaro »

While there are separate listings for LH and RH, I just looked at the schematics/part numbers for them, and it looks like that while there are different reference numbers for the left and right carriers the actual part numbers are the same. Toyota has done this with a handful of other parts as well, if I recall correctly, as I think the lower control arms also have different reference numbers for L and R, while the actual part number, and the parts of course, are the same.

#47721 is the reference number for the RH carrier (both MKIa and MKIb), while 47722 is the reference number for the LH ones. #47721-32010 is the part number for both LH and RH MKIa carriers, and #47721-17010 is the part number for both LH and RH MKIb carriers.

I think i got that all straight, but don't sue me if I screwed up somewhere. :-)
Tony jinxy froude

Thanks for that I really appreciate it, I've looked at these carriers for days now and apart from the difference in weight between mk1a carriers & mk1b ones I can't see a difference at all, as for the difference in which side they are for that leaves me stumped as I can see no difference at all !!!

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”