All my fault

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SuperRedMR2

All my fault

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

What happens when you do not double check bolts are not done up properly? They come loose and fall out.

This happened with an engine mount bolt that worked itself loose and fell into my cambelt cover housing and over 1300 miles, snapping and shredding the cambelt!

I did a compression check today before cranking the engine.

no1 - 185psi
no2 - 0 psi
no3 - 0 psi
no4 - 90psi

Took the head off in just 1 hour

You can see light through 3 of the inlet valves.

I've ruined the engine I built through idiocy.

Now got to replace valves and regrind the new ones in and then do the cambelt again!

Least the pistons are ok!

What a xxxx!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: All my fault

Post by Lauren »

It's one of those things, Alex. You've learnt the hard way. I've done some stupid things in my earlier days though I've learnt that being meticulous and knowing what you are doing are absolutely key when it comes to such things.

Gutted for you though. :(

Are you going to buy a new set of valves from Toyota or use a second hand head?
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Depends how many valves are bent. Could get away with 6 as no.1 was perfectly fine.

Gets expensive from Toyota brand new though.

It's demoralising but I am to blame so got to take it.
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Sorry to hear of your woes Alex,

Wouldn't it be easier to just drop in another engine?

On a side note, I thought the 4age was valve safe, how have the valves been damaged by the chamber breaking :-k
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

My cat cams are the cause my friend.

Turns out that 8.5/9.0mm makes it an interference engine.

Block is fine thankfully, otherwise I would have just changed the engine.

It's only 6 valves and gasket set, it could have been a lot worse.

It'd also be a complete waste changing out the engine, as I rebuilt it with all new ARP bolts, pistons, rings and bearings.
Last edited by SuperRedMR2 on Mon May 04, 2015 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

As I had to drop the coolant I'm also going to buy a nice new aluminium radiator as well. I wanted to do that after it was up and running but seems silly not to do it now.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Aside from Toyota does anyone know where I can buy new valves from?
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Do it properly and buy them from Toyota. Not worth skimping on parts like these.
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

Supertech, Ferrea maybe an option too.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Lauren wrote:Do it properly and buy them from Toyota. Not worth skimping on parts like these.

I called Toyota yesterday for a price for valves.

Is one valve worth £45?

I may need 6, so it's unaffordable.

I've found some valves in the USA I will be importing so it's all good.

Looked at Supertech, not needed and cannot afford either, but thanks for the options.

:thumleft:
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:As I had to drop the coolant I'm also going to buy a nice new aluminium radiator as well. I wanted to do that after it was up and running but seems silly not to do it now.

[extreme irony]
Oh definately more worthwhile than a decent set of valves. Especially considering you've already spent enough on pistons, rings and such.
[\extreme irony]

I hope you read that with the correct amount of humour :thumleft:

I think you have your priorities wrong if you're going cheap (ebay or used) when you've already invested in new/better internals. But that's just my 0,02
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

They are not eBay and they are not used.

Ferrea do valves as well so looking into that.

The pistons and rings I bought were not Toyota and have had no issues with them.
widster

Post by widster »

I've done a few stupid things when working on cars mainly because I try and rush and then drop bolts on the drive etc and have to scrabble around to try and find them, and I have forgotten to tighten wheel nuts. I'm always dropping things into the engine bay and then having to take off the undertray to retrieve them. I am now trying to take things slower and be more methodical. Hope you get it sorted.
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

I'll think you'll find ferrea to be in the same price range as supertech.

If you've found some other supplier, then all the better :D A qiuck browse only threw up supertech and ferrea (i use these myself).

Just for sh*ts and giggles: What pistons/rings did you use?
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

NPR Pistons and Rings.

Bought them from Hurley Race Engineering.

Couldn't afford Wiesco and didn't see the point either.

Ferrea valves are £24 each - half price, but i'm guessing they are going to be crap compared to Toyota.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Why not just get another head and recondition it all if you can't pay £300 (which isn't a ridiculous amount) for the six valves you need?

One thing I've learnt in over 25 years of messing with cars is only use OEM parts when it comes to engine components. Cutting corners never works IME.

But, in saying that, I've think you've already skimped on the pistons and rings. I rebuilt my engine but just re-used the OEM pistons which were within tolerance. Obviously everything I replaced is OEM Toyota with no expense spared. Just not worth it if you want a reliable engine.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

The engine covered 1300 miles with no issues other than what took place so I consider what I spent where was a good investment.

To be honest I really don't care if you think I've skimped on parts as this was not detrimental to the issues I've suffered.
jimzzr

Post by jimzzr »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:The engine covered 1300 miles with no issues other than what took place so I consider what I spent where was a good investment.

I recently bought some genuine Toyota parts from Amayama trading. Arrived from japan in a couple of weeks. Need to be wary of import duties etc - there's a .gov website with online calculator. Think the final bill was £99 vs £117 so not a huge saving. I guess the risk is if they send the wrong part then it could end up eating the savings sending it back.
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

Ferrea for half the price of supertech!?....Wow! Ferrea is the No.1 for aftermarket valves for engine builds. I wouldn't consider them worse :-) but then again i have no experience with their use in the 4age

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”