SC motor valuation please + extra / spare AE92 Supercharger unit

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

p_j_smith

SC motor valuation please + extra / spare AE92 Supercharger unit

Post by p_j_smith »

Hi All

Hope you dont mind, just sold my MK1 T-Bar (UK spec) on eBay, and the chap buying it is really keen on the old engine as its a SC thats I took out as failed pre purchase.......and if buyer on here hello again, just want a fair value fo us both :)

Engine had an oil pump failure, so needs a rebuild, white metal in oil so mains gone Im sure, not looked into it further.

What's a fair price do you think, got all the parts ECU / intercooler etc, even got the SC lid but I listed that up on eBay pre talk to this guy as I had every intention of keeping this engine for a future project (would need a RWD gearbox however). Current box fitted is a std MR2 NA one.

Pictures

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/3392419087
http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/3392428222

Even got a spare (as you do) what I was told was a late spec AE92 supercharger as an extra (are these better ?)

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/3392435168

I typically put stuff on ebay as it finds its a balanced value as all my other stuff, but feel I should give this chap first refusal as he got the car.

Ideas on price, I know back in 1998 it was £1250 + vat but that was when it was a runner.

Peter

Yes before anyones says it I really should have rebuilt & refitted this engine myself in the 12 years I had it!
nedward

Re: SC motor valuation please + extra / spare AE92 Supercharger unit

Post by nedward »

The later spec sc12 supercharger have a smaller pulley. This spins faster which equals more boost. Better on an engine with a normal size crank pulley but could cause issue over time to an engine fitted with a larger crank-pulley.

Price wise I've seen them £250 - £400+ but they are getting harder to find.

In regards to the engine I think it would be hard to value as the extent of damage is an unknown. £300 - £600 maybe more but as always only worth what some will pay on the day.

:thumleft:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

The engine itself is pretty worthless as it will need a rebuild anyway and the only difference is lower compression pistons. It's an AW11 SC 4AGE so it's the lowest spec SC 4AGE.

Superchargers are discontinued so these are worth something to somebody who wants a spare or needs an SC. You can't really rebuild them so there is some rarity value there.

An AE92 spec SC simply has a smaller SC pulley. A little gain, but not huge in itself.

So in terms of value it's all in the SC really. If you have the ECU that is important and will help value.

If it helps I sold my well specc'd AE92 Spec SC 4AGE complete with everything needed to run for a grand. So you could literally slot that into any AW11 and it drive away. That was ten years ago though.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
p_j_smith

Post by p_j_smith »

Cheers for replies, will need to think, chap is nice so want him to have it.

This is why I like eBay as just no awkward haggling.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”