Is there a problem with my starter motor?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

widster

Is there a problem with my starter motor?

Post by widster »

I've been away from the mk1 community recently as I've not been using my car but I'm now back with fresh enthusiasm and I have a couple of questions if anyone can help?

When I first start my car there is a lot of coughing and poor running for about 3 or 4 seconds then it evens out. It only does it when it hasn't been started for a day. I also have another problem in that when I start it and it turns over if I switch off the ignition quickly it keeps turning over. Again this only usually happens when it's not been started for a while.

I'm not sure whether these are related or separate issues and whether it is the starter motor at fault. It doesn't affect my use of the car but i'd like to try and fix them if possible so any opinions would be most welcome.
kaiowas

Re: Is there a problem with my starter motor?

Post by kaiowas »

I believe there is a reasonably common electrical issue (possibly relay related from memory) that can cause the starter to continue to engage for a few seconds after you stop cranking it.

My car suffers from this occasionally if it's been standing for a while and I know Paul has posted information relating to this before but it's never quite annoyed me enough to remember to look into it properly so I've never fixed it. It doesn't help that I generally forget the car does it until it happens at which point I'm usually starting the car to go somewhere and it's not a convenient time to fiddle with it!
widster

Post by widster »

Thanks. I'm the same. It usually does it when I've not used the car for a while. I might try removing the starter motor first and see if it needs lubricating. If that doesn't sort it I might try changing it for a used one and then I'll see if it's a relay as you suggest.
jimzzr

Post by jimzzr »

widster wrote:Thanks. I'm the same. It usually does it when I've not used the car for a while. I might try removing the starter motor first and see if it needs lubricating. If that doesn't sort it I might try changing it for a used one and then I'll see if it's a relay as you suggest.

As a start, try connecting a jump lead from the negative battery terminal to gearbox/engine. Any better? Worth a quick check as the connection from battery to gearbox can deteriorate and lot easier than removing the starter.
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Found Pauls post on the subject, seems you were given some similar advice 4 years ago, that was one long holiday!

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=151721
widster

Post by widster »

jimzzr wrote:
widster wrote:Thanks. I'm the same. It usually does it when I've not used the car for a while. I might try removing the starter motor first and see if it needs lubricating. If that doesn't sort it I might try changing it for a used one and then I'll see if it's a relay as you suggest.

As a start, try connecting a jump lead from the negative battery terminal to gearbox/engine. Any better? Worth a quick check as the connection from battery to gearbox can deteriorate and lot easier than removing the starter.

Thanks for that. I'll give it a try initially.
widster

Post by widster »

kaiowas wrote:Found Pauls post on the subject, seems you were given some similar advice 4 years ago, that was one long holiday!

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=151721

Ha, yes it was a good one! I haven't used the car much in the last few years and as this hasn't been top of the list it has been overtaken by other things. It's now getting worse so I'll have to look into it. I'd forgotten that Paul had given that advice. No excuse now! I've had a look at the price of starter motors on eBay and they're not that expensive so if it's that I'll swap it and hopefully problem solved.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

Greens in Leicester will recon your older starter for alot less than a new one.
widster

Post by widster »

un1eash wrote:Greens in Leicester will recon your older starter for alot less than a new one.

Thanks for that. I'll bear them in mind. :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”