[All] [Generic] inline 4 layout

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mike N

[All] [Generic] inline 4 layout

Post by Mike N »

I am looking into fitting a 3sgte rev 3 tubby engine into an "in line" layout on an old rwd car.

I was wondering which "in line" sump from another Toyota would fit a 3sgte, along with a gearbox strong enough to take 400bhp.

Thanks
ashley

Re: [All] [Generic] inline 4 layout

Post by ashley »

Mike N wrote:I am looking into fitting a 3sgte rev 3 tubby engine into an "in line" layout on an old rwd car.

I was wondering which "in line" sump from another Toyota would fit a 3sgte, along with a gearbox strong enough to take 400bhp.

Thanks

Have a look at the Lexus IS200
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Is200 boxes are pretty weak, I'm actually not 100% sure if the gearbox used on the UK 6cyl is the same as the jdm 3sge beams. In terms of strength the rwd boxes go w58 5 speed, R154 5 speed then the v160 getrag 6 spd from the TT supra - although I don't think they bolt straight up anyway.

They're all expensive and people are now putting BMW boxes on JZ engines, so maybe worth looking into a strong cheap BMW box and a custom adaptor plate/bellhousing.

Good luck!
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
gavinda

Post by gavinda »

blacktop beams 3sge sump will fit , got one here if you want to see it 07538875270
blogsy

Post by blogsy »

What car are you thinking of fitting the engine to?
Mike N

Post by Mike N »

Thanks for the answers so far,

The conversion will be going into a 1974 BMW 2002Ti, it will have turbo arches etc.

Gavinda hold that sump I will get back to you soon, pse pm me a price.

Funnily enough I had looked at some 6 speed BMW inline boxes, but prefer something which bolts straight on without fuss if I can.

I built a BMW turbo straight 6 with a ct26 turbo it went quite well but this time round I want a complete 3sgte turbo lump for the boost and rpm levels which BM's dont have.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Mike N wrote:Thanks for the answers so far,

The conversion will be going into a 1974 BMW 2002Ti, it will have turbo arches etc.

Gavinda hold that sump I will get back to you soon, pse pm me a price.

Funnily enough I had looked at some 6 speed BMW inline boxes, but prefer something which bolts straight on without fuss if I can.

I built a BMW turbo straight 6 with a ct26 turbo it went quite well but this time round I want a complete 3sgte turbo lump for the boost and rpm levels which BM's dont have.

fair enough..

however, if it were me, and it was going into an '02, i'd be going for an e36 M50 with turbo conversion, on a 5spd bmw box - i'm sure you know that all the parts are available off the shelf (manifold etc), they're cheap as chips and strong too

http://www.driftworks.com/forum/drift-c ... build.html

that one made 434bhp/404lbs on a stock bottom end and a chinese ebay turbo (which lasted for a few years until he upgraded).. makes spending money on a 3s seem a little silly really?
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
Mike N

Post by Mike N »

See your point but I want a 4 pot.

I have enough stuff to build a few and like the way the 3sgte performs with tuning.

Return to “Modifications”