JDM 5Zigen Pro Racer Exhaust system

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mattp

JDM 5Zigen Pro Racer Exhaust system

Post by mattp »

I have a question regarding the 5Zigen Pro Racer exhaust and that is are the piping that comes with it stainless steel as well as the mufflers?

It is fitted to my car (orignally came over fitted when imported) and has signs of corrosion especially around the weld seams and more so on the flanges to the CAT.

From what I understand and only just found out what exhaust it is, they are pretty good and hard to come by. Id like to know if it is worth removing and having the tubing replaced with new stainless steel pipes and refitting? Can this even be done/worth it?
Donato

Re: JDM 5Zigen Pro Racer Exhaust system

Post by Donato »

These are quite rare and hard to come by. I've got one myself and paid £300 for it in good condition. The piping is mild steel unfortunately, so does rust and rot. Depending on condition of the silencers I'd get the piping replaced. Any good exhaust place will do this.

:thumleft:
mattp

Post by mattp »

Cheers for the information thats what I thought...sounds great on my Beams is got a nice deep rumble and not to noisy :thumleft:
Donato

Post by Donato »

I bet that sounds really nice on a beams! You should get some videos and photos up! :wink:
DB Mr2

Post by DB Mr2 »

I didn't realise you could get the piping replaced in stainless thats very interesting.
I had wondered as i want to keep this exhaust (it screams at high rpm!) but wondered about the life of the mild steel just like the OP.
Thanks for the info!
VanderBoon

Post by VanderBoon »

Mine's starting to look a bit tired on the welds too
Mikey637

Post by Mikey637 »

Thread bump but does anyone know if it's just the pipes that are mild? Or is only the tip stainless? I've just got one and it's been painted so was thinking of taking the box back to stainless and giving the tip a quick polish
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

A quick test with a magnet should show which parts are stainless and which mild steel. If it attracts strongly it's mild steel. A magnet can also provide a bit of a guide as to the quality of the stainless used, as there is often a weak pull on a magnet with low grade stainless, presumably due to impurities.

Paul
Mikey637

Post by Mikey637 »

Cheers for that I'll check it tomorrow, seems like the silencer and tip are stainless but the pipes are mild

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”