Project - AUS – 88 T-bar Supercharger

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

emrrtwo

Project - AUS – 88 T-bar Supercharger

Post by emrrtwo »

With my last much loved n/a mk1 having succumbed to rust and various bodyshops confirming my suspicions it was too far gone I had all but given up on mk1’s until this one came along. It wasn’t imported until 2006 and is a mica blue manual T bar supercharger. It has a hand built exhaust, fensport big pulley mod, mirrored t-bar glass and 16” Rota Grids. Whilst currently a bit scruffy round the edges it seems a good base to work from and over time will gradually get it how I want it - will try to keep this thread updated as I progress.
Pics going through Auction in Japan -

Found this pic from JAE 2007 -

Some recent pics I took -

matt-mr2

Re: Project - AUS – 88 T-bar Supercharger

Post by matt-mr2 »

Nice supercharged mk1 :thumleft: any plans for it
emrrtwo

Post by emrrtwo »

matt-mr2 wrote:Nice supercharged mk1 :thumleft: any plans for it

Short term is to remove the interior and replace / tidy that up and use POR15 to help protect it. Attempt to rebuild / refresh koni suspension I have from my old car and whiteline anti roll bars and gradually replace ball joints bushes etc. Longer term it could do with a full respray and re-undersealed (was undersealed when came into uk in 2006).
For some of the plastic parts that are no longer black had read about plastic dipping rather than painting / continually using back to black etc - has anyone any experience of it?
emrrtwo

Post by emrrtwo »

Been a while but finally got round to finishing off tidying up the interior -

Starting point - various cracks, rough edges, faded and a bit scruffy from its time in Japan

A lots got to come out to replace the dash!!

Thankfully no hidden nasty surprises lurking beneath the carpet!

A few pleasant ones though - ever wondered where your missing coins go?

Some POR15 to protect the floor in the future

Worth the effort and happy with the results

autobody
Premium Member

Post by autobody »

the car looks very nice, the wheels do set the car off. I have similar alloys.

Good work on replacing the dash, its a hell of a lot of work :thumleft:
emrrtwo

Post by emrrtwo »

Its been quite some time since my last update so here's what I have been up to -

Suspension of old car with Koni inserts & Lesjöfors springs (Koni sport kit) - work great but a bit messy

After a tidy up

Whiteline Anti-roll bars tidied up again off old car

Gradually accumulated all these parts - around 75% of them now fitted (some are just to have for the future)

Read about 'Royal Purple' oil being recommended to replace the supercharger oil (was quite a fuss using a syringe to replace it but at least its done now!)

Got a good deal on a brand new front grill ages ago

Now with added mesh for a bit more protection!

The plan is to take it on the MR2 OC Highland Drive which leaves on Thur 16th April, is a 5 day event and over that time will probably add a quarter of the miles the car has covered since it was imported into the UK back in 2006 so am slightly nervous but should be fun - wish me luck! lol
Will add some pics of how I get on!
J-1

Post by J-1 »

Nice!! :mrgreen:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

That is fcu k in bad ass buddy .. tuned in for this one :thumleft:
emrrtwo

Post by emrrtwo »

Had a great time on the Highland Drive as usual and with this being the first big journey had done in this car it coped pretty well, we were incredibly lucky with the weather and the roads were fairly quiet, although less lucky were rear windscreens with both myself and a mk2 owner shattering theirs - for mine I had the T-bars out and from what can gather a stone came in through the T-bar and hit the inside of the rear window (think there had been snow up there recently and with not much traffic being on the roads since it left that probably contributed to it - well that and the convoy of Mr2's lol).

Not surprisingly I had no joy getting a new one but got hold of a used one which am going to have fitted at my local body shop in a few weeks to make sure the bodywork is ok behind the glass - probably being over cautious as whilst haven't heard of it being an issue in rear windows know on the front it is prone to rusting behind the glass!

On the runs it did seem to go through a lot of fuel according to the gauge, I can only presume it is under reading as think it should hold 41 litres - filling up when was showing pretty low although the light wasn't on it only took around 29 - 30 litres.

anyway some pics I took plus a few others took that I liked at the end!

My video camera was only really working on the Applecross run and even then the mount was shaking quite a bit but below is a link anyway!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dobqviYNjk0

I'm quite lucky living in Scotland so not that far to get up there for me but hopefully for anyone thinking about it can see from the pics / vid it is worth a trip!

Return to “Member Profiles”