1987 mk1b 1.5 conversion

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Fozzy

Re: 1987 mk1b 1.5 conversion

Post by Fozzy »

So with the front corner finished I attacked the sill. I have a replacement sill and arch connector to go on. I had always suspected there was filler at the bottom of the b pillar as the door corner was rubbing. Turns out at some point in its life it has had a part from a less rusty mr2 welded in to the quarter panel in the kick up behind the skirt. So around where this was welded in the panels have rusted out, meaning it now needs a lot more repair, I'll let the pictures talk

You can see the thickness of filler here, at least 5 mm in places

In the last couple of pictures I have wire brushed the rusty inner sill, and treated it with jenolite. I have since red oxide the lot. Until I can get a b pillar repair piece I can't cut anymore out. I had to remove a part of the inner sill strengthener at the rear, but this can be patchy in easily. The rear inner arch/rear sill area will be a bit harder to replace, but I'll deal with that. It looks like the inner arch is completely shot, and the outer is bubbling, but I intend on fitting some woodsport bolt on arches, so I'm not bothering to treat this for now, as most of the arch will be cut off

Return to “Member Profiles”