MK1a High fuel consumption

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Fujiwara-Ben

MK1a High fuel consumption

Post by Fujiwara-Ben »

Now i've started using my MR2 a bit more often i have noticed that is is getting ridiculously bad fuel consumption. I never expected it to be great but i filled up with £20 of fuel the other day (18.20 Litres) and that got me just about 75 miles, which is around the 18MPG mark.

Now fair enough if i was giving it some the whole time, thing is i wasn't. I've been using it for work and keeping it below 4k when accelerating and cruising around 3K.

So any ideas?
Thanks guys :)
Ben
elbon50

Re: MK1a High fuel consumption

Post by elbon50 »

Have you tried checking for fault codes Ben ?
Peter

1989 MR2 Mk1 NA T-bar
1998 Ssangyong Korando GLS
2011 Honda Civic Type R
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Check your EFI temp sensor is within spec (may not throw a code 4 which is a full on open or short circuit in the sensor) , but if it's stuck at the "cold end of the range" you will get bad mileage.

Also check for leaks or splits in the MAP sensor piping, especially the metal pipework that runs around your plenum, they are notorious for cracking there.
Fujiwara-Ben

Post by Fujiwara-Ben »

Right, just did a test, thrown me back a code 11 (11 flashes) Apparently that's ethier the TPS or air conditioning and since i don't have AC then it must be the TPS.

What does it mean about the TPS, not calibrated correctly not working??
jimi

Post by jimi »

Reset the fault codes first then check again after driving. That may be an old code.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”