Top dashboard removal

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

James2593

Top dashboard removal

Post by James2593 »

I'm going to try and finally finish the hard wiring of my dash cam. At the minute the cable runs from under the steering wheel, up the right side of the the dashboard to the A pillar. It runs up the A pillar to the windscreen, and the across to the mirror between the headlining and the windscreen.

To finish it, I want to tuck everything behind the trim. The headlining and the A pillar seem okay to remove. It's the top part of the dash that seems to be the problem, there doesn't seem to be a way to remove it.

It's the long part above the instrument cluster that the alarm sensor cable runs behind that needs to be removed, it probably doesn't need removing fully, just enough to get the cable behind.

Any tips on doing this?
Draven

Re: Top dashboard removal

Post by Draven »

do you mean the plastic that goes up over the door?
James2593

Post by James2593 »

Just been out and took some photos, it's this part I need to pull back. I'm not sure the pics actually show it clearly enough, but I need the black cable to run down where the alarm sensor cable goes.

Scratch that, I can't even dodge the URL filter by putting in spaces. How many posts do I need to post links?

The part that needs pulling back is the part where the door meets the end of the dashboard trim when closed.
Draven

Post by Draven »

you need to post 15 to post images
Draven

Post by Draven »

That is part of the whole dash. You'd need to remove the whole thing. :shock:
alex687

Post by alex687 »

are you talking about the big piece that sits below the windscreen and spans the full width of the cabin?

If so I would like some advice on removing this also - I am about to fit a digital radio aerial that sticks to the windscreen and the cable needs to run down the A pillar trim and behind the dash to the back of the stereo...
James2593

Post by James2593 »

alex687 wrote:are you talking about the big piece that sits below the windscreen and spans the full width of the cabin?

If so I would like some advice on removing this also - I am about to fit a digital radio aerial that sticks to the windscreen and the cable needs to run down the A pillar trim and behind the dash to the back of the stereo...

Yeah, that's the one.
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

alex687 wrote:are you talking about the big piece that sits below the windscreen and spans the full width of the cabin?

If you come across and down the driver's side a pillar you can then run across the dash at low level to the radio by just dropping the lower panel that contains the fog light switches etc, which is much easier than taking out the whole dash. You may also need to take out the panel housing the frunk release as I can't remember if there a gap above that to get from the a pillar to the dash.

In theory you could do the same down the passenger a pillar, but on that side you have to run cabling past the heater/aircon stuff.

Paul
alex687

Post by alex687 »

cheers mate - i will have a go tomorrow. are the A pillar trims easy to remove and replace yea?
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

alex687 wrote:cheers mate - i will have a go tomorrow. are the A pillar trims easy to remove and replace yea?

I've only taken the driver's side off and that was pretty straightforward. Just gently does it and take your time. The bottom section is quite narrow so not that strong and easy to break. It was quite tight by the side of the dash on my t-bar and needed a bit of wiggling to get it free, but I think that was partly due to alarm cables having been run down the gap.

I would imagine it's a bit more difficult to manoeuvre if you've a tin top.

If you're taking the passenger side off, I believe you need to remove the grab handle first.

Paul
al/c

dash removal

Post by al/c »

you can remove the main dash quite easily, takes about 30 minutes, pm me if you need a talk through. :thumleft:
James2593

Post by James2593 »

Just sorted it. The dash didn't need removing, the cable was just small enough to be forced behind the gap between the door frame trim and the dash.

The A pillar is easy enough to remove, it's just on clips.

For the headlining I removed the interior light and the sun visor, and used a wire coat hanger across the top of the headlining to poke out above the door, attached the cable and pulled it back through.

Was much easier than I thought!
alex687

Post by alex687 »

I haven't had a go threading my DAB antenna yet but managed to break the A pillar trim when removing it. Most of it came away easy enough but didn't realise it had a thin bit protruding half way down the height of the door and my typically over aggressive approach caused it to snap off! ](*,) hopefully won't be a problem once I put it back together - can probably glue/tape it on, luckily it's not somewhere on show!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”