My MR2 Turbo Project

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mtechmatt

My MR2 Turbo Project

Post by mtechmatt »

Hi everyone :)

NEw to forum but we did host a RR day for you guys at M-Tech in wilts maybe 6 years ago, so some of you know me :) (I will dig up a pic!)

Those that came to said event probably remember my old 1992 Black MR2 turbo... well it was sold back to a mate who stored it for 5 years, then brought it round the other day with a new gearbox to be fitted (hence it was in storage)

He did that, we got it running, and I bought it back off him. It was in a bit of a sorry old state (and i will post pics as soon as i have reached the right amount of posts)

But it has now gone around to get some paint and a mopping - drives absolutely sweet as before I sold it to him I put a newly reconditioned engine in there, cambelt etc, and clutch. and now its had a recon box fitted its mechanically.. well.. awesome :)

Mods it has:
Body/handling
Veil-side skirts
HR Coil-overs
Different rear spoiler
Rev3 rear lights

Engine/Electronics
3SGTE Fully Re-conned, cambeltc etc
Fully re-conned g/Box
Carl Sainz Turbo (I think its called a GT26B?)
AVCR and SAFC
Blitz ECU
Tubular Manifold
6 Puck Clutch

I also have a Celica chargecooler setup I am considering fitting :)

Matt
mtechmatt

Re: My MR2 Turbo Project

Post by mtechmatt »

Just been round to the bodyshop... not sure if I can post links to pics yet but will try in the next post :)
mtechmatt

Post by mtechmatt »

Nope... still not allowed...
craig

Post by craig »

mtechmatt wrote:Nope... still not allowed...

Welcome to IMOC mate. :)

You only need 15 posts to post images & links.
mtechmatt

Post by mtechmatt »

Cheers bud :)

For now.. the album..
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 406&type=1

Images of before are here:

And now its had the dent filled and primered...

Hopefully all painted up and the skirts back on for the weekend - runs like a dream!!

Need to get the alarm taken out as have had to bypass it - the issues of being stored for 5+ years!

:D
Last edited by mtechmatt on Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
mtechmatt

Post by mtechmatt »

mtechmatt

Post by mtechmatt »

I'm really doing something wrong here guys arghhh :P
craig

Post by craig »

mtechmatt wrote:I'm really doing something wrong here guys arghhh :P

I've edited your posts above mate. You don't need the URL tags for links. If you wish to have the photos display on your thread, you need to upload them to photobucket and copy the image links across. Help thread here:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=64631

:thumleft:
mtechmatt

Post by mtechmatt »

Red,

Cheers will get an account and start sending them accross :)

Cheers
Matt
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

mtechmatt wrote:Carl Sainz Turbo (I think its called a GT26B?)

Not aware of any differences to other ST205 GT4s except steel internals.

ST205/Rev3-5 MR2s were fitted with a later variant of CT26 turbo known as CT20.

More info here:

FYI - 3SGTE 3rd Generation Turbo

What turbo CT26? / CT20? / 20B?

The 4th Generation 3SGTE?

If you are continuing to identify the turbo of a 3SGTE 3RD Generation as a Toyota CT20 or CT20B then you are referring to an imaginary, non-existent turbo. This turbo exists only in the Internet. There is NO Official Toyota reference to this turbo in any Toyota Manual, CD Rom, or sales literature- that we have seen, that uses this designation to identify the turbo as installed on the 3SGTE 3rd Generation engines. There is a REAL Toyota CT20 turbo used on the 3TGTE, 4TGTE, and 22RTE engines in the 80’s but this will not bolt on the 3SGTE manifolds.

We have imported and sold many of ALL these engines types. We have ordered and sold many replacement turbos for the 3SGTE 3rd Generation. There is no casting designation identifying these turbos as CT20 or CT20 B. Many shops and individuals continue to sell and modify this turbo without knowing what they are handling. We have given this information to all inquiries for this particular turbo.

There have been many 3SGTE Celica and MR2 owners who have been misled into buying the real CT20 turbo from the older turbo engines. The seller is 100% correct in selling them as such with the casting # to prove so. Shops and individuals who pass the CT20 as upgrade for the 3SGTE- do not know any better. The buyer must be made aware that if they want the real 3SGTE 3RD Generation Turbo- it is not the CT20 or 20B. NO, we have not sold any of the CT20 / 20B as upgrade or update for the 3SGTE engines, despite insistence from many to purchase a CT20 /20B based on misinformation from the internet. In some Toyota literature these 3SGTE 3rd Generation turbos are still referred to as the CT26.

There are actually 2 different 3SGTE 3RD Generation Turbos- #1 as installed in the 1994 - up Celica ST205 and MR2 SW20 vehicles the flange is similar to the CT26 but with a Twin Entry casting and Ceramic impellers; #2 as installed in the Caldina ST215 (and other ST2XX models) including the newest 2004 model Caldina ST246- the turbo center section housing is cast in one piece with the exhaust manifold, also with Ceramic impellers. Again there is no identifying models on this turbo.

Also- the racing “3SGTE” based Toyota racing engines are not 3SGTEs- they are known internally at Toyota as 503- as used in IMSA, Pikes Peak, HKS drag car, and Le Mans. No internal or external parts are interchangeable.

To prevent another controversy and correct widespread misinformation- the Caldina ST 215 (and other ST2XX models) 3SGTE should not and cannot be referred to as 3SGTE 4th Generation . The 4th Generation head supports the VVTi valve set-up and has direct ignition. The block is identical to the 3rd Generation. There is a REAL 4th Generation 3SGE but they were not available with turbo.

Hopefully this will clarify the Turbo identification and the engine designation problems of the 3rd Generation 3SGTE.

Thank you for your attention

Team Toysport
mtechmatt

Post by mtechmatt »

Peter,

Cheers for the info - will post up some pics tomorrow.

It came in the boot with the car... car has a bit of a story been emong myself and two friends for last 7 or 8 years... now back in my posession after storage and having a gearbox refitted, and needing a little tidy up :)

Matt
mtechmatt

Post by mtechmatt »

A little clean and gentle mop...

Big gouge in the rear qtr now pulled filled and primed..

ashley

Post by ashley »

Looks good :thumleft:
mtechmatt

Post by mtechmatt »

Bit more painting done today - will post pics later :)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/ ... cbdc2ba310

Matt

Return to “Member Profiles”