Mystery hose

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Oortam

Mystery hose

Post by Oortam »

We're in the process of fitting a rev 3 engine in a rev 2 car. We're nearly there but there are a few differences. There's a hose which is attached to the underside of the inlet manifold which we don't know what it's for/where it goes. Can anybody help with it's identification. I've attached a picture but I don't know how helpful it'll be as it's difficult to get a clear picture. Looking at the engine from the inlet side the hose is on the underneath to the left hand side of the manifold. Any help would be gratefully received.

The hose I'm talking about is approx 1/2" diameter and is in the middle of the picture with the rubber protection. Thanks
DottySkee

Re: Mystery hose

Post by DottySkee »

It's not a great picture. The hose comes from the left of the inlet manifold on the block. It's fairly long, about 1' and has kinks in it that look as if it should possibly attach to something on the firewall. Problem is, the equivalent hose isn't on our rev 2 engine we took out, or at least in the same place, so haven't been able to compare between the two engines.
Oortam

Post by Oortam »

Here's some more pictures of the mystery hose, maybe somebody knows what it is. It's in a really awkward place to get a photo so they aren't the best.

Image[/URL]

[/img]Image

Image[/URL]

[/img]Image

There is a finger pointing at the hose in each of the photos for identification. To be honest it's hard to spot the finger in a couple of them. Thanks for any help.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Massive stab in the dark .. Vsv (stock boost control) maybe 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ 8-[
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Looks to me like the standard catchcan drain hose.
DottySkee

Post by DottySkee »

It's on the left side of the inlet manifold, that nut you can see is the left most nut for the manifold and my finger is on the hose in question. It's just to the right of the dizzy cap.

It's chunky, about 1/4" internal diameter with thick hose walls.

Our VSV was already deleted on this engine, the other end blocked off at the wastegate. This hose however, wasn't blocked off so it made me assume it must go to something. There is no equivelant on our Rev 2 engine to compare to however.

Catch can is fitted so don't think it's that, it is however right underneath the catch can. If it's the drain, where does it go? Only 2 hoses have me stumped on this engine then it's ready to go back in the car!
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

do you have the stock catchcan??

there are 3 hose outlets on it.
1 of those is a drain which goes back to the head, ie where you are pointing to.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

DottySkee

Post by DottySkee »

That looks to be the one! Thanks Jim. I'll have to double check the catch can for the third outlet. Come to think of it, I didn't really check it over, just hooked up the cam cover and inlet hose... possibly been a slight spanner!

Thanks for the help guys
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

just to show you, quick google

DottySkee

Post by DottySkee »

:oops: That is the can I've got, I'm sure I'm going to feel rather sheepish when I go to the garage tonight and the third outlet isn't attached. Thanks for the help Jim :thumleft:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

no worries
:thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”