Turbo Timer rev3 sw20

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Matt49a

Turbo Timer rev3 sw20

Post by Matt49a »

I have wired in a silver hks turbo timer today think its a type 1

I have wired the three wires in ground, live and handbrake and plugged in the harness

It turns on and shows 30 sec but turns straight off with the key

Can anyone help

Thanks
markstevieandmads

Re: Turbo Timer rev3 sw20

Post by markstevieandmads »

If you really want a turbo timer (what a waste) then it will obviously need a constant live as well as a switched live. From your description it sounds like you only have an ignition live so it powers off when ignition is off.

Personally I'd rip it out and don't boost the last 5 mins of your journey. It could also void your insurance
craig

Post by craig »

As above, turbo timers are a pointless gimic, and can void your insurance. It is also an offence to leave a car unattended with the engine running.

But, from memory, it should be as simple as this:

1. Disconnect ignition harness
2. Plug in bridge turbo timer harness
3. Plug turbo timer into plug on ignition harness
4. Earth and handbrake wire for turbo timer to sort
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

I personally find having a turbo timer really handy, it means I can leave the car on the drive running to warm up and still have it locked

when I get home from a drive I can get out, open the garage door (on the same key ring) then get back in the car without having to turn it off and start it again.

my garage is really narrow, so I get out of the car with the window down, lean in and take the keys out then hit the window up switch.. convenient.

any modification "can" invalidate your insurance, so yeah.. as long as you're aware that you could just let the car idle for a min or drive off boost for the last few mins and achieve the same thing then why not have one?
Matt49a

Post by Matt49a »

Thanks for the post thought it may be a constant live problem will check it tomorrow

I may get rid of it later but I forget and turn the car off as it was a n/a
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

Also most insurers will require a cat 2 approved immobiliser at minimum to cover theft. Which you can't have in most cases due to the turbo times.

But I disagree and think leaving your engine running for 20-30s is a good thing based on my own personal experience along with quality oil and regular oil changes. More so in diesels where the turbo is on boost much more often.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

gnzyza wrote:Also most insurers will require a cat 2 approved immobiliser at minimum to cover theft. Which you can't have in most cases due to the turbo times.

But I disagree and think leaving your engine running for 20-30s is a good thing based on my own personal experience along with quality oil and regular oil changes. More so in diesels where the turbo is on boost much more often.

I've got a cat1 alarm/immob, the immobiliser self arms after the engine has stopped with the key removed.
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

Rob85 wrote:
gnzyza wrote:Also most insurers will require a cat 2 approved immobiliser at minimum to cover theft. Which you can't have in most cases due to the turbo times.

I've got a cat1 alarm/immob, the immobiliser self arms after the engine has stopped with the key removed.

So your cat 1 system will be ineffective until the turbo timer turns your engine off.
Rob

Post by Rob »

But with the HKS type, the handbrake kills the engine when dropped so where is the problem?
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

markstevieandmads wrote:
Rob85 wrote:

So your cat 1 system will be ineffective until the turbo timer turns your engine off.

absolutely.. but if someone breaks into the car, on my drive, in a very nice cul de sac without me noticing (bearing in mind I'm probably going to be in my living room looking at the car) then snaps the steering lock and drives it away (with the handbrake on) they're only going to get a maximum of 2-3 mins away before the car turns it's self off anyway so its a pretty flawed argument against it, isn't it? I don't leave the car running out in public and walk off, tbh I very rarely let it out of my sight.
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

To the above I have no issue with using TT, I have one myself. I was just pointing out possible complications if Thatcham approval is a insurance requirement then a turbo timer 'can' invalidate the CAT approval.

The only circumstances it would not invalid Thatcham approval is if it meets the following criteria.

Providing the turbo timer is not Interfering with any of the alarm/immobilisers wiring and if it arms it allows the engine to cut out, ie wired in series.

It also must not allow the engine to run for more than 60sec after ignition off/key out. As approval requires arming within 60secs, so at best if wired correctly and you want to switch off walk away you will get 60s but most will systems arm before that so say 30s which os normally enough of a cool down anyway.

If you have a system that allows turbo timer control, ie you can run it for 2mins say and then it arms, then this invalidates Thatcham cat approval as well I guess.

That's how I understand it anyway.

I know it's standard to wire to handbrake, would it be a good idea to wire the the brake also? That way they won't get far at all!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”