What is this sensor?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Oortam

What is this sensor?

Post by Oortam »

I've attached a couple of pictures of a sensor. Anybody know what it is? This is really on behalf of my son, who can't post from work.

He'll be along soon to add some background text.
MartinF

Re: What is this sensor?

Post by MartinF »

That's not a sensor but a VSV and looks like it's disconnected.

Somebody with more knowledge than me will be along soon to tell you what it should be doing.
Blue Lexus RCF
Black MKIV UK Manual Supra
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

That's the t-vsv plug. Basically, if you're running a boost controller, it needs to be unplugged as you get a minimum boost of 14psi or soemthing. Wihout a controller you won't make much boost at all with it unplugged, do you have a boost controller fitted?
shinny

Post by shinny »

+1 to the TVSV solenoid

Should certainly be disconnected if he's using a boost controller :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Apologies, as shinny says it's the solenoid, the plug appears to be unplugged.
DottySkee

Post by DottySkee »

I'm son, I can't post pictures from work.

Thanks guys, I was getting confused with that as to why the hoses were disconnected. The plug was removed as I was installing the loom yesterday. Engine and loom were split when we bought them.
We don't have a boost controller, this is on our new engine (chris-p old engine) to put into our rev 2 shell. I'm guessing the previous owner was running a boost controller in his car. Going to get one next year at some point once the engine is in and running but don't have one yet.
I do have the vsv from my old rev 2 engine (along with the associated pipework/hoses) that I can use in the interim. Am I correct in thinking they are ok to swap across? One of the plastic hoses from the one pictures is snapped so I won't get a hose on there nicely.

Been trying to combine parts between the 2 engines where I can to get the rev 3 engine going, needed to steal hoses/hard pipes that have been bent in transit, my silly fault when picking up the engine. Also trying to use the rev 2 engine as a rough guide for puting the rev 3 together.

Thanks for the help lads
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I'm not sure if the vsv is interchangeable accross revisions but if it isn't just buy a gts chris boost controller for £20 :)
DottySkee

Post by DottySkee »

sheppy wrote:I'm not sure if the vsv is interchangeable accross revisions but if it isn't just buy a gts chris boost controller for £20 :)

Good call, I didn't think I'd get one that cheap, too much pining over a nice HKS one or something. Get one of those ordered tomorrow!

I'll just double check the wastegate to vsv pipe is blocked off and stick the mbc on, makes my job easier.

One tough thing about puting an already modded engine back together, it would help to know exactly what had already been done :lol: using a stock rev 2 as a guide only helps a little, I'll get it eventually though!
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

the VSV's are different between rev1/2 and rev3+. If it's disconncted then you dont need to plug the hoses, either or does the job and both is a waste of time :thumleft: . I unplugged the electrical point as it meant not cutting pipes and risking a boost leak.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”