CarBen Fibre Creations MK1 Part Discussion

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

CarBen Fibre Creations

CarBen Fibre Creations MK1 Part Discussion

Post by CarBen Fibre Creations »

I am putting a thread in each of the 3 forums.

Its been a while since we manufactured anything new for the MK1, I'd like to make a lot more products as we do for the MK2 but I need your input. I have had some suggestions over the years for bonnets, boot lids, doors etc but nothing has ever come through.

Is there anything you'd like to see from us? :)
SuperRedMR2

Re: CarBen Fibre Creations MK1 Part Discussion

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Hi,

From what you have mentioned there I'd like to see a bonnet, engine cover and boot-lid.

Cheers
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

There are always a small number of people looking for standard mk1 replacement panels in lightweight materials, either for bling or for performance gains. The issue is that the people who are able to produce them tend to think short term and there are never enough people who want them at the same time in order to meet the minimum number necessary to make the production of moulds etc worthwhile for a quick return.

If you're prepared to think long term, make the moulds without necessarily having the orders up front and then keep the parts available I reckon you have the chance to become the goto supplier for lightweight mk1 panels.

If the prices are right and the parts are made to be true lightweight panels rather than styling accessories then I'd personally be interested but I accept that most people just want the looks whilst kidding themselves that they're saving enough weight to make a difference.
Zirax

Post by Zirax »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:Hi,

From what you have mentioned there I'd like to see a bonnet, engine cover and boot-lid.

Cheers

What he said

kaiowas wrote: If you're prepared to think long term, make the moulds without necessarily having the orders up front and then keep the parts available I reckon you have the chance to become the goto supplier for lightweight mk1 panels.

If the prices are right and the parts are made to be true lightweight panels rather than styling accessories then I'd personally be interested but I accept that most people just want the looks whilst kidding themselves that they're saving enough weight to make a difference.

Very much this. If I ever get around to it I'll get some damn moulds made! There are a few fibre/carbon makers I know of that could fabricate something. Time is my problem. There are some performance parts in the US/JAP but shipping is a problem.
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

I'm not interested in carbon especially. It's generally a bit expensive to risk on a competition car.

Very interested in lightweight composite front wings, bonnet, boot lid with integral spoiler. Also would be keen on a one piece front valance, grill + bumper and a one piece rear bumper.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

My crystal ball predicts lots of people will ask for all sorts of parts, which you will then spend countless hours making and at great cost, then when it comes to the time to pay they will disappear into the ether and you will be left with a handful of sales.

Brutal reality, the Mk1 market is extremely limited, everyone wants a carbon bonnet but won't pay what it actually costs to produce it.

I have a store room full of Mk1 molds, aftermarket bodykit molds and various custom parts people have asked me to produce over the years, don't get me wrong, the odd one still sells, but i'm barely into profit on any of the molds it cost a ton of time and money to make, perhaps the most successful being the universal wide arch kit and i have a rivet arch kit coming out in the next few weeks, again it will sell in low numbers despite dozens saying they want it.

It's just the way it is, sadly a waste of time.
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Slightly OT - Paul, will the rivet arches be fibreglass or ABS? I may need wider arches at some point but I'm wary of fitting FG ones as they'll be pretty vulnerable to clipping various apex markers etc and I'd be worried about cracking them. Whereas ABS should take a little more abuse.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:Hi,

Cheers

I've looked at importing carbon fibre intake vent and headlight covers, but would be interested to see how much yours would cost though...
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

kaiowas wrote:Slightly OT - Paul, will the rivet arches be fibreglass or ABS? I may need wider arches at some point but I'm wary of fitting FG ones as they'll be pretty vulnerable to clipping various apex markers etc and I'd be worried about cracking them. Whereas ABS should take a little more abuse.

They will be FG, replacement corners will be available separately though.
CarBen Fibre Creations

Post by CarBen Fibre Creations »

Thanks guys, we can manufacture almost anything as you know. Prices would be the same as the MK2 panels to give you an idea.

For all products I'd need committed buyers willing to put down a non-refundable deposit to get the project started. This is required for all new projects now and this covers us so we dont manufacture something and not make any sales.

PW@Woodsport wrote:My crystal ball predicts lots of people will ask for all sorts of parts, which you will then spend countless hours making and at great cost, then when it comes to the time to pay they will disappear into the ether and you will be left with a handful of sales.

Brutal reality, the Mk1 market is extremely limited, everyone wants a carbon bonnet but won't pay what it actually costs to produce it.

I have a store room full of Mk1 molds, aftermarket bodykit molds and various custom parts people have asked me to produce over the years, don't get me wrong, the odd one still sells, but i'm barely into profit on any of the molds it cost a ton of time and money to make, perhaps the most successful being the universal wide arch kit and i have a rivet arch kit coming out in the next few weeks, again it will sell in low numbers despite dozens saying they want it.

It's just the way it is, sadly a waste of time.

I agree 100%, this isnt just for the MK1 this happens all over these days. I spent thousands on new products for the Subaru and stupidly never took any deposits, no one followed through with orders and I nearly put myself out of business. What I do now is ask for non-refundable deposits to be put down, if people dont agree then the product isnt made. If people dont follow through with orders the deposits usually cover the majority of the mold so im not too much out of pocket.
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

kaiowas wrote:Slightly OT - Paul, will the rivet arches be fibreglass or ABS? I may need wider arches at some point but I'm wary of fitting FG ones as they'll be pretty vulnerable to clipping various apex markers etc and I'd be worried about cracking them. Whereas ABS should take a little more abuse.

From experience FG puts up a far better fight than expected. Our front wings have held out pretty well despite an onslaught of cones, bails, tyres and a Ford Ka.

They'll be fine, just cut out the middle man and give them a coat of tape before you start.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”