Comments welcome- bought an sw20 turbo

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Big bob

Comments welcome- bought an sw20 turbo

Post by Big bob »

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum but not new to mr2 ownership, I sold my sonic shadow about 3 years back. Well I got the bug again and took the punt on the above car which some of you may have seen on eBay. I'd post a pic but it says I need to put up more posts.

I bought it as a non runner to sort out and put back to excellent condition. There is evidence of some unpleasant sill repairs but luckily I've learnt to become decent with a mig welder through restoring and adding a turbo in a fiat x19.

It has some plus points - yellow bilstiens, progressive springs, stainless exhaust (mongoose I think) and it's the Rev 3 version in the colour I wanted. It's got a large inter cooler, and a few other goodies including a nice music system.

The guy told me a mechanic had confirmed the ecu had gone which is why it wouldn't start but my brother in law is an ex Toyota master tech and said it was highly unlikely. He ran the tests and confirmed it was the coil and amplifier, so I got one from gt Chris and a set of iridium plugs and she fired up.

I was told that the turbo blew and a replacement one fitted (v clean and the actuator looks like new) but unfortunately the oil seals have gone and it's throwing oil into the inlet manifold. Maybe they xxxx'd it fitting it, I'm not sure.

It's a Rev 3 uk car with a Rev 1 turbo engine- mot until July. I'm unsure what to do really. Fit a 2nd hand turbo, send the current one to somewhere like turbo technics to be repaired, or drip the bu88er out and fit the v6. The bodywork is pretty good considering the age and it comes with a rolling road print of 254 bhp. This is a car to replace my everyday company car so I need something reliable. I only travel 4 miles a day but do like a quick, comfortable gt car to blast out to my workshop at my parent's place. Not even sure if I should consider shifting it on and get something else, not sure what I would get.
What do you guys think?
Cheers Rob
alanmr2turbo

Re: Comments welcome- bought an sw20 turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

Big bob wrote: This is a car to replace my everyday company car so I need something reliable.
What do you guys think?
Cheers Rob

You wanted a reliable car? So you go out and buy a MR2 Turbo LOL j/k
Draven

Post by Draven »

Yeah an Mr2 turbo is not a reliable car for everyday driving i'm afraid.
vtecpower

Post by vtecpower »

Draven wrote:Yeah an Mr2 turbo is not a reliable car for everyday driving i'm afraid.

Why is that my old tubby rev2 was good for everyday driving (3.5 years 13k each year) only broke down once and gave me warning's before hand (ran rough in rain)
craig

Post by craig »

Draven wrote:Yeah an Mr2 turbo is not a reliable car for everyday driving i'm afraid.

Bit of a blanket statement. Nothing wrong with an mr2 turbo as a daily. Pete gidden daily drives one, and apart from service/maintenance items it's been pukka for years.
Big bob

Post by Big bob »

guessing a v6 would be the safest bet. The noise really appeals to me. I'll do a compression test for now to see if it's worth buying another turbo for it.!how many posts do I need to make before I can show pics?
craig

Post by craig »

15 posts required to post images. I wouldn't overlook the turbo for a V6. Forced induction, with the turbo spooling & induction noise behind your head is rather nice.
Nails

Post by Nails »

Ive had a tubby for a daily on and off since 2008. They're fine as long as you look after them like any car. I used to buy a runaround for winter just to look after my 2 and last year I bought a decent runaround and kept it as I've a little lad and its handy. Cheap enough aswell if you pick the right runaround. Mines a 06 diesel clio. 30 quid a year tax and 60mpgs+.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”