[Mk2] [NA] Mr2 Sills

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

spikkey

[Mk2] [NA] Mr2 Sills

Post by spikkey »

After discovering mine need changing I have been trawling through the the many threads on Sill repairs and replacements I stil can't find a supplier of new parts unless I have missed it.
However, if not there is definitely a market here for someone with some fabrication experience....know anyone??
rs007

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Mr2 Sills

Post by rs007 »

spikkey wrote:After discovering mine need changing I have been trawling through the the many threads on Sill repairs and replacements I stil can't find a supplier of new parts unless I have missed it.
However, if not there is definitely a market here for someone with some fabrication experience....know anyone??

I'm baffled why no one has done it.

You can get all manner of panels for the Mk1... but nothing bar the over-priced and completely impractical (no complete sill) toyota parts for the Mk2.

Mind you, the tooling to do the job right, repeatably, is very expensive.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Someone did make a group set on the other forum but it was drawn out and took ages. Didn't type at though. I don't see why it would be expensive - get a template and knock em out in batches of 20 pairs. They'd fly here.

The cars are at the age now where I keep seeing amazing examples being parted out as they just aren't viable to fix - sills being one factor. Great shame as if replacement units could be made cheaply it would help people out.
rs007

Post by rs007 »

androo007 wrote:Someone did make a group set on the other forum but it was drawn out and took ages. Didn't type at though. I don't see why it would be expensive - get a template and knock em out in batches of 20 pairs. They'd fly here.

The cars are at the age now where I keep seeing amazing examples being parted out as they just aren't viable to fix - sills being one factor. Great shame as if replacement units could be made cheaply it would help people out.

I've got mine to do soon, I'm going to try and see if I can make it repeatable to rattle out with half decent accuracy. I think the outer sill itself could be fairly accurately formed (with separate end cap) on an oak or ash buck. Th internal parts seem fairly straight forward to cut and fold up, belling the various holes isn't rocket science either...

Could make myself a mint if I crack it lol
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

I bought a pair of full length sills on a group by on the MR2OC, still deciding what to do with mine.

I do however have a set of drawing some kind person did on one of the forums, not sure who or which one

I have the PDFS for the Inner Sill & the Full lenght sills, with the correct profile

I have converted them to DX files for cad work

I am happy to send the files in either or both formats to anyone who wants them, and possibly get some made, i have a fabrication place nearby i might just make some enquires, i dont want to see more MR2s die :-(

regards Brian
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016
spikkey

Post by spikkey »

I fear that sill rot will be the undoing of this great little car and the longer present owners leave the repair due to lack of available spares and the economics of saving the car from the breakers doesn't add up then more cars will be lost.
There would certainly be many an owner that would purchase replacement parts fabricated by an enterprising individual who has the foresight to see a the potential and the passion to keep the Mr2's alive.

Hi Brian..let me know how you get on with your enquires with your local fabricator as I will be looking to do mine soon before it gets too bad but would be grateful if you can send me the templates so I could have a go myself just to see if I could make a half descent go at it, will pm you.

Spikkey
Mullen

Post by Mullen »

wilkie senior wrote:I bought a pair of full length sills on a group by on the MR2OC, still deciding what to do with mine.

Sell them to me! :D

In all seriousness I'd be up for a group buy if someone can arrange it, having just discovered my drivers side is being eaten up from the inside out.
Wathall

Post by Wathall »

yeah I need drivers side sill any one know where I can get one
spikkey

Post by spikkey »

I have both sides to do, rest of the car is sound!
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

As there seems to be quite a few posts re MR2 sills inner & outer

Wilki & i are going to send the plans off to a couple companies chris has dealt with in his day job (cant tell you about it, will have to kill you!!!)

when we have got some pricing I will look at putting a group buy together, we have to do what we can to keep these cars on the road

would this be of interest?

regards Brian
spikkey

Post by spikkey »

100 o/o Brian, Keep me posted on progress!👍
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

OK

we have sent the CAD files to a company Chris worked with making ahhh nearly told you!!!!, if i had i would have had to shoot myself phew!!!! :lol:

I am looking at getting the Inner sills, end caps, for the sills, and the inner sills, made

All depends on cost, i have a pair of full length sills of the correct profile, i haven't unwrapped yet, so at least I have something that is actually there to be copied

Regards Brian
gerbil1028

Post by gerbil1028 »

Interested
One day the Phoenix will rise from the ashes.
Draven

Post by Draven »

I'm also interested.
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

All noted

We just have to make a set with the correct folds and "bells" for an accurate costing

Will keep you updated, I will start a new thread once i have confirmed information, just bear with me as with work, etc got quite a bit on

But i am hoping to update by the end of next week

Best Regards Brian
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

wilkie senior wrote:All noted

We just have to make a set with the correct folds and "bells" for an accurate costing

Will keep you updated, I will start a new thread once i have confirmed information, just bear with me as with work, etc got quite a bit on

But i am hoping to update by the end of next week

Best Regards Brian

Brian, P.M. me what Chris does then you can kill me and I won't have to worry about my sills needing to be replaced - failing that I could be interested in a pair :thumleft:
gerbil1028

Post by gerbil1028 »

Hi Brian.

Mines going in to be done before Xmas if you can manage by then. :pray:
One day the Phoenix will rise from the ashes.
markyj1969

Post by markyj1969 »

I'd be interested :D
Wathall

Post by Wathall »

Any more news ?
kylemalco

Post by kylemalco »

Any more imformation on these