Clutch pedal sticking

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

widster

Clutch pedal sticking

Post by widster »

Hi, I've not been using my car that much recent so to put that right I decided to take it out the other day. The problem was that the clutch pedal didn't seem to be doing anything. It was just completely slack. After I pumped it about 20 times it did start to free up but I still have slack for about the first half of it's travel. I can still use the car and change gear but it's not right. Does anyone know if this is a sign that the clutch is nearly worn out or is there adjustment or something I can free off? Thanks for your help.
kaiowas

Re: Clutch pedal sticking

Post by kaiowas »

Check fluid level and both master and slave cylinders for any evidence of leakage. Air in the system would cause those kind of symptoms and is often caused by a leak allowing the level to get low enough for air to get drawn in from the reservoir.
widster

Post by widster »

Thanks for the reply. Although I've had my car for 10 years now I'm embarrassed to say I didn't know it had a hydraulic clutch. I'm not even sure where to check the level! Is it in the front or the engine bay?
stenky

Post by stenky »

in the front, next to the brake master cylinder
widster

Post by widster »

I must be going blind then as I couldn't see it when I looked earlier. I'll have a proper look tomorrow then. Is there a particular type of oil I need to buy? I've tried googling it but no luck.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

You need brake & clutch fluid

dot 4 grade or better

Have a look at the Halfords web site
Peter

1989 MR2 Mk1 NA T-bar
1998 Ssangyong Korando GLS
2011 Honda Civic Type R
widster

Post by widster »

That's great, thanks :thumleft:
Red Wedge

Post by Red Wedge »

The reservoir is under the plastic cowling that's used to cover the fuse box etc so you need to remove that to get at it.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Yes my cowling is permanently removed so I tend to forget that :)
Peter

1989 MR2 Mk1 NA T-bar
1998 Ssangyong Korando GLS
2011 Honda Civic Type R
widster

Post by widster »

Thanks, I've found it now. It's empty. I've got some dot 5.1. Will that do for topping up? I know you can mix it with dot 4 but I'm not sure what's in there?
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

You won't be able to just top it up now that you have air in the line, you'll need to bleed it through. (Which will replace the existing fluid anyway)

If you look under the gearbox at the back you should be able to find the bleed point coming from the slave cylinder bracket.

You should also check for signs of a leak as the fluid will have gone somewhere, it's usually the slave cylinder end. Generally the leak will be quite slow and you'll be able to get away with just keeping an eye on the fluid level in the short term but you should sort it properly when you get a chance
widster

Post by widster »

Thanks Kaieos. Yes I will sort it properly. I wanted to top it up for the moment though for a week until I get time to do it. Do you think it 5.1 will be ok?
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Yeah will be fine
widster

Post by widster »

Thanks, one final thing, does anyone know what the black circular disc is for in the clutch fluid reservoir? It doesn't seem to do a lot other than float about but I assume it should be there?
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

It is just a float, I think it's just to make it easier to see the level through the reservoir
widster

Post by widster »

Thanks again! I can't believe that for 10 years I never realised it was a hydraulic clutch and never checked the level. I'm always pretty hot on maintenance but that is one thing I've overlooked :oops:
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

Some say the float is for checking the level, some say it's to prevent bubbles in the fluid and some say it acts as a diaphragm blocking the surface of th fluid from absorbing water from the air.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”