MOT = Fail

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Timmo

MOT = Fail

Post by Timmo »

Depressingly, the MR2 has failed it's MOT. The faults are that the NSR wheel bearing has excessive play, which isn't the end of the world, and gaiter on the steering rack has split which again isn't a major problem. What is getting on my wick is that it has failed emissions yet again. It had a new catalytic converter two years ago and I am not prepared to shell out yet another one. It is a standard Rev 3 NA, always run on Shell V-power and serviced annually at Toyota. Granted, it is due a service soon but I have no idea how to sort the problem without a new cat.
On the advisories list it also states that the fuel lines are corroded.
I'm not sure what to do. Repair it, stick a new cat on it, service it next month and end up spending 700+ notes on it when it's only worth around a grand on a good day. Or should I sell it as spares/repair? Plus points are that I had the inner and outer sills replaced last year at nearly 800 bucks and had the alloys refurbished. The paint is in very good condition (Goodwood green). Not sure what to ask for it as spares/repairs.
Kind of brainstorming out loud. Thoughts?
Draven

Re: MOT = Fail

Post by Draven »

Lambda sensor gone? That can cause high emissions
DottySkee

Post by DottySkee »

Being a UK spec you have much tighter regulations for emissions unfortunately unlike early imports that work to 3%. Much easier to get an import through.

Ask your MOT place to do the emissions when the car is hot. A lot of places leave the car all day until they get to it's turn for an MOT, move it to the bay then do the emissions. It'll blow much less if the engine and CAT are nice and hot as they are more efficient when at operating temperature.

My GF used to drive a Jimny, it would fail if done from cold but after running it for 10 mins round the block it passed, just had to warm it up. This is exagerated during winter too when outside temperature is colder so on start up, the car runs richer.

Or as above, lambda sensor?
Mullen

Post by Mullen »

What were your emissions readings?

Also what Dotty said... When I took mine for its MOT last week the guy asked me if I considered it warmed up on arrival & did the emissions test right then before it cooled down.
Timmo

Post by Timmo »

Didn't think about the lambda sensor, good point. I drove the car for about half an hour before the test to get it nice and hot.
DottySkee

Post by DottySkee »

Timmo wrote:Didn't think about the lambda sensor, good point. I drove the car for about half an hour before the test to get it nice and hot.

Good point by Mullen, did it fail marginally, or was it a spectacular fail?
Timmo

Post by Timmo »

Mullen wrote:What were your emissions readings?.

I've not got the results sheet to hand but the results weren't crazy high.
Mullen

Post by Mullen »

For comparison mine's a '91 rev1 JDM auto, stock exhaust with 23 yr old cat that's rusted all to hell & the lambda sensor needed changing & I scored,

HC 58 ppm vol - Max 1200 ppm vol
CO 0.13% vol - Max 3.50% vol
MR2 Turbo Boy

Post by MR2 Turbo Boy »

Draven wrote:Lambda sensor gone? That can cause high emissions

Agree with Draven... :thumleft:
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

Timmo wrote:
Mullen wrote:What were your emissions readings?.

I've not got the results sheet to hand but the results weren't crazy high.

Where did u go? Some places in Swindon Can be a right pain to deal with.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

If CO was between 5.5% and 6.5% it will be O2 sensor.
largie009

Post by largie009 »

I dont have a cat, passes every time! Its not what you know, its who you know!!;).
when u get the other issues sorted give me a shout. I know a guy in Marshfield that can sort you out!:P
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

largie009 wrote:I dont have a cat, passes every time! Its not what you know, its who you know!!;).
when u get the other issues sorted give me a shout. I know a guy in Marshfield that can sort you out!:P

If the op's o2 sensor has failed a bent mot isn't going to help his car long term. It's one thing failing because you know you've a decat fitted to a healthy car but completely another if a stock car fails due to a knackered sensor
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

largie009 wrote:I dont have a cat, passes every time! Its not what you know, its who you know!!;).

Congratulations. You have a bent MOT. :roll:
largie009

Post by largie009 »

Ok, it seams i have started something. Firstly, i apologize!
i in no way wanted to suggest he can put any car through. Mine has failed there before. If anything is wrong, he will find it. I just asked nicely about my decat and he does me a favour on the basis the rest of my car is tip top.
he has always done fantastic work for me and i trust him with my life.
my previous message was probably alittle "bellendish" so again i apologize.
i will sit down now!:)
Timmo

Post by Timmo »

Cheers for the replies guys. I've been turbo busy over the last couple of days and not a great deal of time to sort things. I'll pop the emissions results up tonight and see what you think. I hope a lambda sensor sorts it as it's cheaper than another cat!

Alex, I know you weren't implying that I get a dodgy MOT, don't worry!

markstevieandmads, I went to Motest because they were open on the weekend. Without saying anything that will incur legal repercussions, I won't go back there again!
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

Timmo wrote:Cheers for the replies guys. I've been turbo busy over the last couple of days and not a great deal of time to sort things. I'll pop the emissions results up tonight and see what you think. I hope a lambda sensor sorts it as it's cheaper than another cat!

Alex, I know you weren't implying that I get a dodgy MOT, don't worry!

markstevieandmads, I went to Motest because they were open on the weekend. Without saying anything that will incur legal repercussions, I won't go back there again!

I used to use motest until I found they were failing things that passed elsewhere.
For example they failed my old rover coupe turbo on welding so I had that done then they retested it (partial retest) and failed it on emmissions. When I questioned it he said the previous tester read the wrong readings.
I also replaced my front subframe before a test there and they failed it on crack to the subframd when there wasn't one.
I also saw one of the mechanics revving the balls and wheel spinning a car into the garage.

cowboys.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”