Headlamp bulb upgrade

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

sheep

Headlamp bulb upgrade

Post by sheep »

Whats the best headlamp bulb upgrade for a rev 4? can you get hid kits for these cars or is it best to stick with something like a osram nightbreaker?
Whats everyone using these days
craig

Re: Headlamp bulb upgrade

Post by craig »

You need proper projector lense headlights for HIDs. Chavvy HID kits in reflector type headlight will just blind everyone on the road.

Osram nightbreakers is what I'm using. Recommended.
TheLepresean

Post by TheLepresean »

I have Osram Nightbreaker Unlimiteds, combined with eBay crystal headlamp units and I find they work really well :thumleft:

HIDs aren't meant to be used with reflector headlamps, you should probably go for some projector headlamps if you want to go down the HID route.
Rob66

Post by Rob66 »

As others say avoid hid with our lenses.

I have Halfords Blue Ultra Brilliance, massive improvement, really nice clear white light. I have oe xenons in my Leon and these are very very nearly as good, recommend them.
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Rabrigs with Osram nightbreakers, probably the best mod ive done to bring the car to a more modern look :thumleft:
And the light out difference is amazing!!
Ben

Post by Ben »

Gullzter wrote:Raybrigs with Osram nightbreakers, probably the best mod ive done to bring the car to a more modern look :thumleft:
And the light out difference is amazing!!

Yep, did this on my MR2 and the difference was (if you'll pardon the pun) night and day :lol:

Also used them on my old BMW to great effect.
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
Timmo

Post by Timmo »

I've got Osram Night Breaker Plus lamps and these are excellent. The light is whiter than OEM lamps and noticeably brighter.
HID kits aren't technically legal without automatic levelling and headlight washers.
Also, if you want good sidelight lamps, try the Phillips Blue Vision ones. Although the glass is blue, the light is white and does away with the horrible yellow-ish of standard sidelights.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”