Sealing leaking roof.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

daviefoster9773

Sealing leaking roof.

Post by daviefoster9773 »

Ok, so my tbar leaks as do most from what I have heard. I plan on getting new seals, but for the now, I am after a temporary fix. Ive been told about silicon sealant and cling film? also been advised on guides for the rods, and adjusting the windows themselves to make sure thats not the issue. Can anyone eleaborate on these? i will be after new seals, but I have just bought cooler, boost controller and fan and shroud. plus insurance and tax etc so bank is a bit sorry for itself. Never realised it leaked quite so bad until this deluge we have just had.

Info and advice much appreciated as always :)

Dave
daviefoster9773

Re: Sealing leaking roof.

cheers mate
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Im a bit perplexed why people would spend £10 on sealant but not £10 on eccentric guides which would most probs fix it?
craig

Post by craig »

yep, eccentric rod guides as a temp fix, then new seals. :thumleft:
daviefoster9773

where can i get the guides? link?
GHOST

Post by GHOST »

I'm having same problem. Getting the groin drip!

I manipulated the rubber today and I've watered the car with no leaking yet. See, how it holds up, if not I'll be trying the first method out.
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

To be honest the silicone is only £1 from the right place, mines was fine until i tested how tough the silicone is when set but i managed to peel a bit.
Will fix it when the car comes home, may even do the eccentric guide :-k
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

eccentric guides work in some cases but in others they make the leak worse. I've used both methods and the silicon / clingfilm is the winner. YOu can also run a bead of sealant across the leading edge of the t bar glass where it meets the roof seal and that also stops a lot of the leaks.
gerbil1028

Post by gerbil1028 »

Any guides on fitting eccentric rod guides.
One day the Phoenix will rise from the ashes.
craig

Post by craig »

I'm completely amazed that people are willing to bodge silicon sealant on what is supposedly their pride and joy.

Just do it right and fit new seals. They've lasted like 20 years, small outlay given how long they last!

Silicon sealant is such a cheap bodge. In fact, why use sealant, chewing gum is cheaper. Try that maybe?
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

RedMR² wrote:I'm completely amazed that people are willing to bodge silicon sealant on what is supposedly their pride and joy.

Just do it right and fit new seals. They've lasted like 20 years, small outlay given how long they last!

Silicon sealant is such a cheap bodge. In fact, why use sealant, chewing gum is cheaper. Try that maybe?

Silicone is £1 compared to the small fortune it costs for new seals, silicone works perfect for me so would rather spend the rest of the money elsewhere.
Thats just me though :lol:
craig

Post by craig »

Gullzter wrote:
RedMR² wrote:I'm completely amazed that people are willing to bodge silicon sealant on what is supposedly their pride and joy.

Silicone is £1 compared to the small fortune it costs for new seals, silicone works perfect for me so would rather spend the rest of the money elsewhere.
Thats just me though :lol:

Full set of 4 new seals (2 glass panel and 2 aperture seals) is around £400.

My point was, that, given the originals have lasted around 20+ years, it's not a bad price to have the roof completely sealed as it was when the car was new.

I wouldn't say £400 for a 20 year consumable was a small fortune.

Each to their own though.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

daviefoster9773 wrote:I plan on getting new seals, but for the now, I am after a temporary fix.

Honestly, this site sometimes. :roll:

Nothing wrong with the a temporary fix till he can afford new seals. I would inspect first anyway as i had a really bad leak and it turned out to be window adjustment. Don't go rushing out to buy new seals.
craig

Post by craig »

sheppy wrote:
daviefoster9773 wrote:I plan on getting new seals, but for the now, I am after a temporary fix.

Honestly, this site sometimes. :roll:

Nothing wrong with the a temporary fix till he can afford new seals. I would inspect first anyway as i had a really bad leak and it turned out to be window adjustment. Don't go rushing out to buy new seals.

See my previous reply, to the original poster:

RedMR² wrote:yep, eccentric rod guides as a temp fix, then new seals. :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Yeah, that doesn't always fix it though, i can't see why everybody is so against the silicone trick, it works, it's cheap, anyone can do it. You don't even see the silicone :lol: i agree new seals is the way to do it but come on, there's a member on here who bought his car for £200, people may not have £400 to throw at their car.
craig

Post by craig »

sheppy wrote:Yeah, that doesn't always fix it though, i can't see why everybody is so against the silicone trick, it works, it's cheap, anyone can do it. You don't even see the silicone :lol: i agree new seals is the way to do it but come on, there's a member on here who bought his car for £200, people may not have £400 to throw at their car.

In my opinion, if eccentric rod guides are not fixing the leaks, then it's time for new seals.

Regardless of the cost of the car, if the seals are past the point of the eccentric rod guides not working, then new seals are the way forward to do it properly.

If your windscreen wiper needs replacing, why buy an 'expensive' replacement. Just carry out this hella cheap mod! 26p from Tesco!

Job done!

Just because someone bought a car for £200, doesn't mean that's all they can afford.

As previously said, each to their own.

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

If a window wiper was £400 i'd use the sponge, £400 must be a different amount up here man, it's a lot of money. A months rent for most people. So if a £1 fix that isn't a sponge on your window can fix it then why not? Would you buy a brand new pair of trousers when you could stitch them? Actually, i get the feeling you probably would :lol:
gerbil1028

Post by gerbil1028 »

Everyone must of been too busy debating to notice my shout for a helpful guide on eccentric guide fitting. Lol
One day the Phoenix will rise from the ashes.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”