Vinyl plates

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SonicSW20

Vinyl plates

Post by SonicSW20 »

Im sure there must be some of you who are using a stick on vinyl plate on the front, getting rid of the big plastic number plate holder.

The question is, where to stick the number plate? Has anyone got some examples they could post in here?
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Re: Vinyl plates

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

I just think they look rubbish stuck on, looks worse than a standard plate. Import number plate holder and matching sized plate for me. I would be interested to see pics of stuck on ones though to convert me.. Nowhere to put except slapped on the front of the top of the bumper though really? i see a lot of MX5 guys doing it, and that looks pants too!
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

D4N_V_U wrote:I just think they look rubbish stuck on, looks worse than a standard plate. Import number plate holder and matching sized plate for me. I would be interested to see pics of stuck on ones though to convert me.. Nowhere to put except slapped on the front of the top of the bumper though really? i see a lot of MX5 guys doing it, and that looks pants too!

I love the look of the US cars in states where a front number plate is not required, the stock plate spoils the lines of the nose IMO. So I was thinking a vinyl one wouldn't break up the 'flow' as much?

I don't think I've seen one on an MR2 though.
JD

Post by JD »

Eeeeeeeeeeeehhhh doesn't look that bad but regular import plates look better IMO.

edit: you could always get one of these little plates like I've got. Some say the coppers might pull you as there's some confusion over the legality of the size but when I was pulled at random the plates weren't mentioned :/

I got a "verbal advisory" from one MOT but that's it.

front: http://i.imgur.com/ozPf2cF.jpg
rear: http://i.imgur.com/VJvDbnP.jpg
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

JD, Thats exactly what i wanted.
Im pretty sure they are legal for imports
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

That's definitely an improvement.

Considering how cheap vinyl ones are I might just by one and try it. If I don't like, or plod doesn't like it I can always stick the standard one back on :)
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

well apart from vinyl sticker plates on to your car are illegal unless you have something like an E-Type jag etc.

Vinyl plate are cheap although the £60 fine isn't if you get pulled by a jobs worth :lol:
Draven

Post by Draven »

alanmr2turbo wrote:well apart from vinyl sticker plates on to your car are illegal unless you have something like an E-Type jag etc.

Vinyl plate are cheap although the £60 fine isn't if you get pulled by a jobs worth :lol:

Sorry to tell you that you're wrong.. but I'm going to, rules with regarding numberplates are as such

Your number plates should:

be made from a reflective material
display black characters on a white background (front plate)
display black characters on a yellow background (rear plate)
not have a background pattern

Characters on a number plate can be 3D.

The groups of numbers and letters are required to be a specific distance apart and should be displayed in two groups.

It is not against the law to use Vinyl plates as long as they are visible and follow the requirements set above.

Personally I don't like them think they look tacky. (personal opinion) I much prefer JAP import plates myself.

Also it isn't just a £60 fine technically if you're found by the officer to be displaying a plate that is illegal i.e. a modified plate to make a specific word the fine is anything up to £1000

:mrgreen:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Don't they have to be BS marked to be 100% compliant?
Draven

Post by Draven »

No. they don't
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

all plates for ROAD use have to be produced by a registered number plate maker, and YES bs marks needed as well as postcode of the supplier.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 6/V796.pdf

The British Standard
The British Standard sets out the physical characteristics of the number plate. This includes visibility, strength and
reflectivity. The British Standard also requires each number plate to be permanently and legibly marked with the
following information
:-
1. The British Standard number (currently BS AU 145d)
2. The name, trade mark or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier
3. Name and postcode of the supplying outlet

Unless Draven has made new road laws different to our government :lol:
craig

Post by craig »

alanmr2turbo wrote:all plates for ROAD use have to be produced by a registered number plate maker, and YES bs marks needed as well as postcode of the supplier.

The British Standard
The British Standard sets out the physical characteristics of the number plate. This includes visibility, strength and
reflectivity. The British Standard also requires each number plate to be permanently and legibly marked with the
following information
2. The name, trade mark or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier

^This, however, if you don't want to have to send V5 and other document copies to the supplier, you can get show plates with legal font etc without the BSAU145d and plate manufacturer post code.
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

RedMR² wrote:
alanmr2turbo wrote:all plates for ROAD use have to be produced by a registered number plate maker, and YES bs marks needed as well as postcode of the supplier.

The British Standard
following information

^This, however, if you don't want to have to send V5 and other document copies to the supplier, you can get show plates with legal font etc without the BSAU145d and plate manufacturer post code.

Thats correct, they are show plates and thats how people get all these illegal plates on the road we see.

Even my local car parts place needs to have the V5 and wont produce them without it. If he did then he can loose his licence to make plates.
decker2

Post by decker2 »

Not had a problem with MOT or Police (for the number plate anyway....)

cosmos

Vynil Plates

Post by cosmos »

Looking good, better aero..........more MPG perhaps?
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Not bad! I think in my mind I was after something a little smaller... That's asking for trouble from plod though.

Thanks for the pic.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”