MRD resurrection?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Macca

MRD resurrection?

Post by Macca »

Without going in to all the details I was hoping to gauge interest in the possibility of bringing MRD body kits back to the market. These would be genuine items from MRD's moulds, built by their supplier and with full MRD support. I fully understand pricing will be a big influence, and this has yet to be finalised, so again, I would be grateful to hear your views and suggestions.

Thanks
fred130111

Re: MRD resurrection?

Post by fred130111 »

Not ever heard of an "MRD" Body Kit, have you got any images you could share?
shinny

Post by shinny »

MRD skirts are one of the very few I would consider putting on my car. However I'm still unlikely to throw any kit on my car, so don't count me as a sale :oops:

Here's a photo of the skirts:

Macca

Post by Macca »

Image[/img]

Not the best pic but all I have at the moment 😉

Cheers
fred130111

Post by fred130111 »

I see, so similar to the border skirts but smarter / more oem looking! If the quality is good enough then I am certainly in :D
Last edited by fred130111 on Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fred130111

Post by fred130111 »

I like the front splitter, literally had never heard of MRD before lol :silent:
Draven

Post by Draven »

Never did like the sideskirts.
Macca

Post by Macca »

They did quite a lot circa 2007-2011?
Draven

Post by Draven »

Macca wrote:They did quite a lot circa 2007-2011?

Yeah MRD was quite big. I've seen quite a few cars with them on.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Problem is their rear lights and spoiler is pretty horrific.

So really aside from side skirts and lip, there's not a lot else?
Unless I'm missing something?
shinny

Post by shinny »

jimGTS wrote:Unless I'm missing something?

The rear spats... which were OK, IIRC :thumleft:
Last edited by shinny on Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
craig

Post by craig »

jimGTS wrote:Problem is their rear lights and spoiler is pretty horrific.

So really aside from side skirts and lip, there's not a lot else?
Unless I'm missing something?

I believe MRD stood for Mental Racing Developments if I recall.

the GTR2 sideskirts are ok, I personally wouldn't fit them to my car. Rest of the kit, not keen.

Agreed that the rear lights and spoiler aren't very nice.
craig

Post by craig »

shinny wrote:
jimGTS wrote:Unless I'm missing something?

The rear spats... which were OK, IIRC :thumleft:

True, Phoenix power style if memory serves.
tubby_tony

Post by tubby_tony »

Damn that Caribbean blue one looks nice. Who's is it?
craig

Post by craig »

tubby_tony wrote:Damn that Caribbean blue one looks nice. Who's is it?

Hmmmm, I wonder. :mrgreen:
shinny

Post by shinny »

tubby_tony wrote:Damn that Caribbean blue one looks nice. Who's is it?

It's pretty much my second favourite MR2 :whistle:
philmr2

Post by philmr2 »

I went up to where he was based many years ago for my first mr2, I picked up rear spats,sideskirts, front lip spoiler and a autopista spoiler spent in the region of £1700 on it all..
I was young and stupid back then :shock:
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

Macca wrote:Without going in to all the details I was hoping to gauge interest in the possibility of bringing MRD body kits back to the market. These would be genuine items from MRD's moulds, built by their supplier and with full MRD support. I fully understand pricing will be a big influence, and this has yet to be finalised, so again, I would be grateful to hear your views and suggestions.

Thanks

From what I understand there would need to be a fair bit of work done, even with the original moulds. Some if the fitment was dubious and does require work to make fit. So I think some of those things would either have to be resolved or acknowledged up front that some additional time would have to be factored in to make it fit right.
philmr2

Post by philmr2 »

Racer7 wrote:
Macca wrote:Without going in to all the details I was hoping to gauge interest in the possibility of bringing MRD body kits back to the market. These would be genuine items from MRD's moulds, built by their supplier and with full MRD support. I fully understand pricing will be a big influence, and this has yet to be finalised, so again, I would be grateful to hear your views and suggestions.

Thanks

From what I understand there would need to be a fair bit of work done, even with the original moulds. Some if the fitment was dubious and does require work to make fit. So I think some of those things would either have to be resolved or acknowledged up front that some additional time would have to be factored in to make it fit right.

Biggest issue I had with the skirts was they kept rubbing on the bottom of the door I had to file the sideskirts down, which was annoying as they was sold as perfect fit originally and was expensive so thought they would of.
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

philmr2 wrote:
Racer7 wrote:

Thanks

Biggest issue I had with the skirts was they kept rubbing on the bottom of the door I had to file the sideskirts down, which was annoying as they was sold as perfect fit originally and was expensive so thought they would of.

Yep. And also I think one side was worse than the other.

The other frustration for me is that as they wrap over the sill (i.e under the plastic trim). This seems like a good thing. But with the anniversary sills it makes them sit too high and closing the door becomes an issue.

The Rogue Toms replica just lips up to the side so removes this problem.

Oh, one final frustration for me is that the underneath of the skirt is cut away (maybe for weight saving or maybe for production cost saving?). Again, the Rogue Toms replica has a good three inch underside which looks nicer in my opinion.

This is not intend to knock the idea (though part of me like being in an exclusive MRD club...) but just some improvements that can make a good looking skirt better.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”