MR2 MK1a GEARBOX ISSUES

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

HarryMR2

MR2 MK1a GEARBOX ISSUES

Post by HarryMR2 »

Hello,

Hate to be one of those people who only appear when there's a problem, but my MR2 has generally been very good up until now...anyway great to be registered and learn more about these great little cars

I'm experiencing some problems with selecting gear on my AW11 Mk1a 1986 MR2. These seem to have developed virtually overnight as I came to my car today.

VERY – stiff when engine running and car stationary – could only select 3rd – couldn't get 1st in, etc
Horrible crunching noises when selecting reverse.

The car will select gears with the engine off, though feels like there's less happening than before.

The only thing I noticed in driving this week was 3rd was slightly stiffer.

I'm not mechanically minded and any repairs will be done by a mechanic but would like to kno where's good to start looking, I'm thinking some of the following may be amiss:

g/box fluid
clutch issues
worn syncro or something similar
linkages to 'box

Does anyone have any ideas as to the problem, if it's a big one and where i might begin addressing it?!

Cheers, Harry.
kaiowas

Re: MR2 MK1a GEARBOX ISSUES

Post by kaiowas »

Symptoms sound consistent with the clutch not disengaging fully and slave cylinder leakage is pretty common so that's probably a good starting point.

How is it with the engine running, 1st gear, clutch depressed and no brakes applied? Is there any sensation of the car trying to move, engine under any load or any other signs that the clutch might be dragging?

Check the clutch fluid level and see if the clutch pedal still feels relatively firm? Usually what happens is the that the slave gradually leaks fluid until the reservior is empty, then the master cylinder sucks in a slug of air and the pedal goes all soft and mushy and generally ineffective as pressing the pedal is basically compressing the air in the system rather than activating the clutch.

If it's been leaking there should be a big oily mess around the slave cylinder in the engine bay.

Replacement slave cylinder should cost you about £25 for the part plus maybe an hours labour to fit and bleed through and the cost of some fluid. As a short term fix you can just bleed it through and keep an eye on the level.
HarryMR2

Post by HarryMR2 »

Ah cheers kaiowas!

I will check this when I get home later. Is it easy to check the fluid level? Will investigate and report back - and give a nod to the chap who services the car when I speak to him.

Thanks again :)
Ben

Post by Ben »

There's two reservoirs next to each other near the top in the frunk - there's even gaps in the plastic fitting to show them through. IIRC the brake fluid is on the left and the clutch fluid is on the right :thumleft:
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Another couple of things to check out are the integrity of the shift cables, make sure they're not split and the mounting of the gearstick itself. I've had a similar issue with a short shift kit that came loose.
HarryMR2

Post by HarryMR2 »

Ace - thanks chaps for taking the time and sharing the knowledge :)

Also happy to have learned the word 'frunk'...will now use it in conversation!!
Ben

Post by Ben »

It's compulsory if you're an MR2 owner :D
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
HarryMR2

Post by HarryMR2 »

Right, all checked - Clutch fluid right down so assume kaiowas's clutch slave cylinder leakage diagnosis was correct...so ta for that! Will have it looked at anyway.

I assume simply topping up with DOT4 won't have any useful affect until the system's bled? Pretty sure I don't have any tubing / skills to do it!

Cheers everyone for your help anyway.
jimi

Post by jimi »

Ben wrote:It's compulsory if you're an MR2 owner :D

Not with me it's not, don't like Americanisms, especially when referring to a Japanese car !
Ben

Post by Ben »

....Froot? ;)

Previous:
Fab4MR2

Post by Fab4MR2 »

jimi wrote:

Not with me it's not, don't like Americanisms, especially when referring to a Japanese car !

?????????????? :? :lol:
MarkCL

Post by MarkCL »

Fab4MR2 wrote:
jimi wrote:

Just a term where the USA English word is different from UK English. In this case we're talking about the fact that what you Americans call the trunk on a car we call the boot - so logically the front boot on the MR2 should be called a froot, not a frunk, from our point of view at least! :lol: Personally I think both are a talking point with non-owners, though froot is definitely funnier :mrgreen: Maybe there should be a Froot Vs Frunk poll/debate :lol:

Cheers,
Mark
Fab4MR2

Post by Fab4MR2 »

MarkCL wrote:
Fab4MR2 wrote:
jimi wrote:

Just a term where the USA English word is different from UK English. In this case we're talking about the fact that what you Americans call the trunk on a car we call the boot - so logically the front boot on the MR2 should be called a froot, not a frunk, from our point of view at least! :lol: Personally I think both are a talking point with non-owners, though froot is definitely funnier :mrgreen: Maybe there should be a Froot Vs Frunk poll/debate :lol:

Cheers,
Mark

Ha, ha, yeah I'm familiar with Americanism. I just didn't recognize 'frunk' as being one. I've heard it used for so long now that I'm not really sure when or where it originated. I also belong to a few MR2 forums down under, and the term sounds more like something they may have come up with, but who knows. And yes, am quite familiar with 'boot', as I owned three MGB roadsters years ago. I picked up most of the British terms back then, and always enjoy seeing any of them used on here as a nice change of pace. I do like the term 'froot' though, lol.
jimi

Post by jimi »

Not sure whether it's an Americanism or a Colonialism (same thing really :lol: ) I just know that trunk is not a term that we (Brits) use in connection with cars (note cars not vehicles) same as fender, sway bar, hood etc

BTW
I've nothing against our cousins from across the Atlantic or Antipodeans for that matter, just in case this blows up into an International incident 8)
jimzzr

Post by jimzzr »

kaiowas wrote:

Replacement slave cylinder should cost you about £25 for the part plus maybe an hours labour to fit and bleed through and the cost of some fluid. As a short term fix you can just bleed it through and keep an eye on the level.

That's what I thought until I came to refit the new cylinder - I could get one bolt in or the other but not both. Eventually I worked out why. The replacement pattern part had been cast very slightly differently and the recess wasn't quite long enough. Sorted it with a dremel, but wasted a lot of time trying before then so check the replacement part is the same where it mates up against the gearbox. The old fluid was black and disgusting as well.
HarryMR2

Post by HarryMR2 »

jimzzr wrote:
kaiowas wrote:

That's what I thought until I came to refit the new cylinder - I could get one bolt in or the other but not both. Eventually I worked out why. The replacement pattern part had been cast very slightly differently and the recess wasn't quite long enough. Sorted it with a dremel, but wasted a lot of time trying before then so check the replacement part is the same where it mates up against the gearbox. The old fluid was black and disgusting as well.

Ah that's good to know as just about to look for one now. Any that should be avoided? or does it depend on the car it's going on?

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”