[Mk2] [Turbo] New mods - A work in progress (Picture Heavy!)

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Moo

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] New mods - A work in progress (Picture Heavy!)

Post by Moo »

Car has passed the MoT \:D/

Just the mapping to get sorted which I hope will get organised next week. So close to getting it back I can taste it :lol:
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Was there on Tues and Patrick showed me your bay.... vv nice. 8)
Hope the mapping goes well and you're grinning ear to ear in it v soon.

R
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

So very very close. Can'r wait to see it finished :D
Moo

Post by Moo »

HighwayStar wrote:Was there on Tues and Patrick showed me your bay.... vv nice. 8)
Hope the mapping goes well and you're grinning ear to ear in it v soon.

R

Cheers Rob. It's certainly come a long way since you last saw it at PW.

Did Patrick show you the GT86 they are working on? That is what you call a build!

Magic Beans wrote:So very very close. Can'r wait to see it finished :D

:thumleft:
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Yeah I got a guided Patrick tour of the new (to me) premises. The 86 looks like a fabulous piece of work. I'm also loving the Rocket space frame/mk3 combo that looks like a more serious aerial atom. There's some fabulous stuff there alright.
Moo

Post by Moo »

Car is getting mapped this Wednesday afternoon. All being well should then be taking delivery of the car shortly thereafter 8)

Will post up the dyno results on Wednesday and hope to be saying it was a good day and all went well! :pray:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

So when are we going to get the long awaited photos of the engine bay then? :whistle: :mrgreen:
Moo

Post by Moo »

Got a lot of cleaning and polishing to do before I show it off on here so probably be a few more weeks before the final reveal :wink:
craig

Post by craig »

Moo wrote:Got a lot of cleaning and polishing to do before I show it off on here so probably be a few more weeks before the final reveal :wink:

Subscribed. :mrgreen:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Cleaning and polishing eh. Best get used to doing that, with all that metal on show :whistle: :lol: Although the visual feast will make up for it :thumleft:
Moo

Post by Moo »

Yup, there's surely going to be a sheet load of polishing to do but I'm sure I will love it :lol:
ashley

Post by ashley »

How did the mapping go Paul?
Moo

Post by Moo »

In the end it went very well but at times during the day it looked like it just wasn't going to happen. Had quite a few gremlins popping up throughout the course of the day but Patrick was able to work through them and after nigh on 6 hours in the dyno we were able to get a map on the car.

New go faster bits performed somewhat better than expected and we made great power. Too much in fact! As the engine is on stock internals we were aiming for 280 to 300 wheel hp at a fairly low boost pressure but we couldn't get it to boost below 1.1 bar, most likely due to the rating of the wastegate spring, and it was hitting 313atw at 6400 rpm with more in tank at that boost level if we'd kept going until the rev limit. Charge cooling was also doing a great job, inlet temps didn't go over 29 degrees the whole time.

You weren't kidding about that turbo Ashley, it's sweet as! So glad I bought if off you :D Good spool up time and a nice power curve. The screamer sounds bloody amazing and I love the way the turbo whistles when it's spooling up!

We called it a day after hitting that figure and the car is now back at Rogue to have a few minor kinks ironed out and to get the WG spring swapped out. Once that's done it will be back to the dyno for a tweak to the map and then it will be all mine :D

It was great to see the car back on the road today after nearly 2 years and 4 months and hearing that turbo on the way back from the dyno was something else. Really does make the wait worthwhile 8)

Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Good numbers Paul :thumleft:

Welcome to the world of having something constantly whistling in your car and a loud screaming noise when you hit real boost :D For me those two sounds alone made all the work and money worth it when we did the first shakedown run.

Now that's done you can get polishing and show us this engine bay of yours then :mrgreen:
parker455

Post by parker455 »

What happened to this in the end?
Moo

Post by Moo »

Promised myself a year ago I wasn't going to post on this thread again but since you asked...

Pretty much lost the love shortly after getting it home and realising that after over 4 years in 2 different garages and having spent enough on it to have bought a second hand Ferrari it still had niggles and things I wasn't happy with and wasn't the car I was hoping it was going to be. Came to my senses and realised it would be insanity to spend yet more money on a car that in hindsight I should given up as a lost cause. It went into my garage shortly after coming home and has sat there under its cover gathering dust since. Silly really and a total waste of all the money it's had spent on it but still not of a mind to spend any more on it putting right the things that are stopping me from enjoying it. Until that changes, if it ever does, it can sit there.
Last edited by Moo on Tue May 24, 2016 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Remind me what needs sorting on it?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

That's a real bloody shame dude.

What are the issues, im sure a few members would be willing to help?
Or a good time to learn new things and try yourself??

Very few people you can trust other than yourself these days.
ashley

Post by ashley »

jimGTS wrote: im sure a few members would be willing to help?

I'm in...if I can help I will...that car owes me a ride :thumleft:
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Moo wrote:Promised myself a year ago I wasn't going to post on this thread again but since you asked...

Pretty much lost the love shortly after getting it home and realising that after over 4 years in 2 different garages and having spent enough on it to have bought a second hand Ferrari it still had niggles and things I wasn't happy with and wasn't the car I was hoping it was going to be. Came to my senses and realised it would be insanity to spend yet more money on a car that in hindsight I should given up as a lost cause after Luke first shafted me. It went into my garage shortly after coming home and has sat there under its cover gathering dust since. Silly really and a total waste of all the money it's had spent on it but still not of a mind to spend any more on it putting right the things that are stopping me from enjoying it. Until that changes, if it ever does, it can sit there.

I am sure one way or another the problems can be sorted.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s

Return to “Modifications”