Air intake ducting

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Polypedates

Air intake ducting

Post by Polypedates »

Has anyone got a picture of the air intake pipework below the resonator? I want to see if I've put mine back together right. It currently looks like this:

Does that look right?

Thanks
aw11rally

Re: Air intake ducting

Post by aw11rally »

That doesn't look right..........far too clean and shinny, awesome work.

If the rest of the car is of equal standard it deserves an entry into next years Cartier Style et Luxe at Goodwood.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Looks right to me. I've sent summat that might help with reassembly to your email. :thumleft:

Are you on the reassembly phase of your resto? 8)
shinny

Post by shinny »

aw11rally wrote:far too clean and shinny, awesome work

Hello, you called!
Polypedates

Post by Polypedates »

Thanks guys. No danger of troubling the Style et Luxe anytime soon - 2020 maybe. Been at it for 5 years so far!

At least I am able to start putting things back on - at least where I can remember where they go. I got the fuel tank plumbed in and I am now deciding what to do with the engine.

Fuel tank connections:

Engine ready for work:

No idea what to do with the engine tbh. It was fine when it came out several years ago and can still be cranked over by hand but has 130k or so on it so probably warrants some preventative maintenance but I don't want to strip it unnecessarily. What's the recommendation before I clean it put and put it back in?
MarkCL

Post by MarkCL »

Polypedates wrote:No idea what to do with the engine tbh. It was fine when it came out several years ago and can still be cranked over by hand but has 130k or so on it so probably warrants some preventative maintenance but I don't want to strip it unnecessarily. What's the recommendation before I clean it put and put it back in?

My 2p - after all the hard work on getting the body etc. straight I'd suggest you do what I'd call the obvious stuff. Any perished or corroded pipes, connectors, etc etc, replace with new where poss and refurb where not - maybe take off all the easy manifolds, sump etc (intake, exhaust etc) and replace the gaskets after cleaning the surfaces and checking things over for any obvious issues, give everything a bloody good clean, flush the coolant system through and then pop it back in and see how things go. With new seals and gaskets you reduce the chances of old ones giving way under pressure again, and with a cleaned block/engine etc any new leaks will show up easier.

Other than that it's a great opportunity to strip and rebuild the engine, adding in any subtle tweaks you might be able to afford or otherwise want to do, but at the end of the day it's really down to you and your budget :-) Best of luck with it all whatever the case though - looks like a lovely job so far and its always nice to see another Mk1 getting restored and a new lease on life :clap:

Cheers,
Mark
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Cam belt and water pump would be top of my list then tidy up. Do your magic on the water pipes under the exhaust manifold and get them blingy. :mrgreen:

Oh and check all the valve clearances are still up to spec. :thumleft:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Definitely think about changing the water pump. I recently cranked mine for the first time in two years and the water pump seal went.

Got a new one from Toyota, no problem.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”