The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Magic Beans

Re: The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Post by Magic Beans »

I managed to get some time the other day to test fit the other exhaust system, which came with the Busa. It's not only full stainless and immaculate, it is also 4.4kg lighter than the current system. Weight is king :wink:

Here's the current system, which uses an Aprilia muffler.

As with all things kit car, the exhaust is pretty easy to break down.

The Westfield muffler waiting to go on. It's longer but narrower and has a Cat in it (currently..) and in theory should be a tad quieter than the Aprilia.

Test fit to the existing mani to see what the noise levels are like. It definitely sounds deeper on idle and at low revs. The plan would be to remove the Cat, which should improve flow but will probably make it louder :-k

Time passed and I found some more time to fit the whole system. First up I had to remove the passenger seat, as it allowed easier access to mount the bolts for the plate. Bit dirty in there though [-X

Some coming out, some going in.

I couldn't live with all those bits, so had at it with the vacuum :whistle:

The old headers.

It basically slots in and is secured by four plates and some bolts. Relatively easy to fit and remove, so long as you get your access angles right.

The new. Mmmm, clean :D

Mounted.

The full system on. There is an issue however... It doesn't sit flush up to the bodywork and required a fair amount of effort to mount it, which I'm conscious will strain the welds and eventually cause them to fail after several heat cycles. I think it's going to have to come off and either be cut and welded or...? Sounds good but I think I prefer the sound of the Aprilia. That could be down to the Cat being in though. The other key benefit of this system (besides weight reduction) is that it doesn't blow exhaust gases directly onto the rear wing, unlike the Aprilia, which has caused the carbon (well, the resin in the carbon) to come apart :neutral: If for whatever reason I stuck with the Aprilia system I'd need to find something very heat resitive to cover the rear arches :-k

Next up was to mock up a cover for the dry sump pulleys and belt. It was a little exposed and ran the risk of a stone potentially bringing a halt to oil flow and ultimately the engine :o So off with the Donkervoort nose, which the eagle-eyed amongst you would have spotted isn't a stock part :wink:

See, somewhat exposed in there. Although the undertray does help significantly.

Out comes the spare ali sheeting from when I was fabbing the undertray and arches for Mule v2.

A session with the tin snips, a block of wood and rubber mallet later and we have the first cut and bends.

A little bit more and we have the rough shape. It's longer on the top, to act as a cover and stop when it meets the engine. My logic was that even if it did flex back a bit (towards the engine) having a longer flap on the top would stop it hitting the belt and pulleys. The bottom will be bolted onto the frame, so no movement there.

A test fit. The blue is the protective plastic film, if you were wondering :wink:

That's all I've had time to do until now. Swapped a couple of pipes, fixed an oil leak (nearly catastrophic!) and made a few people have Vanilla Ice haircuts from rides out in it :lol:
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

I think you will find that removing the cat will make it sound 'deeper' rather than louder Phil - and the resonance produced at low torque will be enough to set off the odd car alarm or two but all in all I don't think it will be much 'louder' as such. And if the pipes going to have to come off and be cut and welded its an ideal time to remove the cat and re pack the can.
Like the guard you have put in and you could cross drill it so it was a bit lighter. As ever interesting stuff you are up too.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I did toy with the idea of drilling it out a bit, however the weight is so low anyway (less than 80g) I didn't want to compromise the effectiveness of the shield to save a tiny bit of weight. Some things I'll sacrifice weight for and longevity/protection is one of them :)
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

Okay two weeks and no updates - there is no way in the world you haven't been fiddling with the mule in that time - so give us the story Phil - even if its some sunny weather perfect for mule driving hooning around the back roads pics from this weekend that will make me and others rather jealous..
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

A little story eh. Well, are you sitting comfortably? Then I shall begin :wink:

I have been fettling with the car a bit, nothing of any note, just tweaks and all that. I've used the time to overhaul the garage lighting, so the primary lights are now LED, with the original bulbs relegated to just covering the ends. So much cleaner and worth the few hours it took to construct. The upper space has been sorted, leaving only the essentials and all in an excessively orderly fashion 8-[ Good excuse to have a good clean too...

To be honest I've just been enjoying owning the car, especially these recent warm sunny days :D It's a damn fun way of getting a good Texas Tan (sleeve marks) too :lol:

I've taken a couple of friends out in it recently and oh how I'd have loved to get some reaction videos, especially when you point at the speedo :lol: Speaking of which, I've finally got myself a proper external mic for the GoPro, so I can now get some in-car footage without enduring the endless wind noise you get with the internal mic. I'll put something together over the next few days :thumleft:

In the meantime I'll leave you with this from tonight :)

ashley

Post by ashley »

Very nice!

8)
GTMatt

Post by GTMatt »

That is seriously cool, how controllable/ planted is it on corner exists, I can imagine it could be quite a handful?

Only thing I would say is relief drilling the corners on your pulley cover only to meet the tan line intersects of the bends (if that's the final one, as you did mention 'mock up') vibration, time and heat cycling will cause the minute cracks created by forming to grow and potentially fail. Just an idea :)
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

GTMatt wrote:That is seriously cool, how controllable/ planted is it on corner exists, I can imagine it could be quite a handful?

Only thing I would say is relief drilling the corners on your pulley cover only to meet the tan line intersects of the bends (if that's the final one, as you did mention 'mock up') vibration, time and heat cycling will cause the minute cracks created by forming to grow and potentially fail. Just an idea :)

Thanks, Matt :)

On the whole it's really easy to drive. As there's no weight and the chassis is so well set up most corners feel like they don't exist. Bends you'd normally have to lift off for you just turn the wheel and you're around, with no body roll and no dramas. The other aspect I've struggled with is pulling away from lights. The clutch and throttle are so sensitive you have a knife edge between getting right right, buckaroo or flat out stalling. Seat time and little changes (both to my driving style and the car) are improving things though. A sequential box means you have to be focused when driving, as if you have to stop quickly and haven't shifted down through every gear you've got problems, when it comes to pulling away again and you find yourself in 4th 8-
GeorgeL wrote:e it's still sat on the bench, waiting to be finished. My plan was to add in structural bracing of sorts, to remove flex and prevent wear (ultimately failure) over time. The undertray does go a long way to offering protection from stones etc being flung up from the road though. :)

GeorgeL wrote:That looks awesome Phil... :thumleft:

Thanks, George :)

That ride is waiting for you whenever you're ready. Especially if you happen to find yourself in the '2 :wink:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I've had my GoPro for some time now and while it's great for video, I've not used it much due to the frustrations of wind noise. After far too long I've finally picked up a little something to solve that, in the form of a Sony Electret condenser microphone (ECM-DS70P). Also an extension lead, allowing the mic to be positioned anywhere in the cockpit.

The issue this creates is how to attach it to the body..

Well as I don't have a skeleton body and have no plans to use it underwater I decided to drill a hole in the casing, one which is snug enough to maintain water resistance.

Hole marked up.

Pilot hole drilled, followed by progressively larger holes to prevent cracking the case. About 8 passes in total.

Test fit the lead and it's a perfect fit. Enough space to get it in, but tight enough to be close the water tight and hold the lead in place. Pleased with that :)

Ready to mount and more importantly, to get some footage :D

Ben

Post by Ben »

They do look like fun, these little plastic cars... :wink:
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Coming soon: Mule V

That is all...
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

:twisted: :twisted: 8) I know what it is...........
synXero

Post by synXero »

I must do the same with my gopro. Got a link?

As for mule 5 - mule 4 going?!
Nickp

Post by Nickp »

pistol pete wrote::twisted: :twisted: 8) I know what it is...........

:thumleft:
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

pistol pete wrote::twisted: :twisted: 8) I know what it is...........

Tuned in!

I'll be keeping an eye on this over the weekend while I'm off... Hopefully see something :)
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

synXero wrote:I must do the same with my gopro. Got a link?

As for mule 5 - mule 4 going?!

There's one going and one arriving, well, arrived already.

I'll throw some words and photos down tomorrow, when I get some free time.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Right then, finally a bit of time to ramble and upload some photos.. Where has the last couple of months gone?!

For starters Ben (Ben), Pete (Pistol Pete), Lee (Pete's brother), Adrienne (my other half) and I took ourselves off on a road trip around the Highlands: http://goo.gl/maps/85ahb , stopping over in Edinbrugh, Inverness, Thurso, Fort William and Keswick. Amazing journey, amazing scenery and something I'd recommend to all. It's often forgotten that we have such incredible locations right on our doorsteps (well, bottom of the drive maybe :wink: ).

Just a single shot from the journey. There's hundreds on FB for those interested.

Olly, the guy I bought the Busa from, bought himself a Spire GT3 with the proceeds (plus a chunk more) from the Busa. He has joined the RGB (Road-Going Bike-engined cars) racing series ( http://www.750mc.co.uk/formulae/rgb.htm ) and I'm acting as part of his pit crew. It's been a steady learning curve for us all but we're finally understanding the car, what adjustments it needs and finding our feet in the series. So far he's had some good results, however this weekend (Anglesey) we're hoping for a good step up results wise. For anyone interested you can follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/emileoracing?fref=ts

Mule IV (Mule Busa) wise there's not a huge amount of work done really. It wasn't bought for me to have to rip it to pieces and start everything again, so it's more refinements and maintenance (and terror runs!). One issue I did need to address was the front driver's side wing as it was too close to the tyre and caused stones to get caught, rubbing away on the underside of the carbon. So much so it actually rubbed a hole in the carbon! :o

The mounts have now been adjusted to add extra clearance, so I took to patching the hole. I toyed with the idea of swapping the wing but decided against it for now because it's a car to be used and not just pampered. I might swap it in the future though, we'll see if it bugs me enough.. :wink:

As a patch I bought a 3M carbon patch kit, the type I've used in the past on my DH rigs etc. It's a similar look to the existing carbon and the weave pattern is the same, so blends nicely.

Weave matched.

To protect the underside I've applied several layers of glue. It's mental strong once it's set and will add a good protective barrier to the weakened part above. This was the first layer going on.

Next up: Mule III (The Westy) has got a new home. In fact it's actually staying within the fold but I'll let the new owner detail that as/when he's ready :)

It had been stored in a friend's garage for the past few weeks/months, so had only been started a couple of times. I was a little concerned that it wouldn't start or there'd be some other dramas when I collected it, however nothing of the sort. Once the carbs were primed it pretty much fired right up and purred away (Nick did a great job on this engine! :clap: ). There was a slight issue with the brakes now quite releasing (lever not calipers) but some WD40 and a couple of miles all but sorted that. Once home it got a bit of a wipe down before getting ready for a night sleeping outside.

Thankfully I'd fashioned a cover (pond liner and bungies) for the nightime, as we had a drop of rain in the night... It did it's job though :thumleft:

MOT was next up.

Passed without issue :D

A few shots before it went.

That night off it went and we followed them out in the Busa, as a kind of farewell parade. The Westy looked awesome under the street lights, as it ploughed through town. We might have made a bit of noise though :whistle:

The following day was the Toyota only trackday at Blyton. We had planned to take the Busa however due to other commitments and a minor oil leak on the car we only attended as passengers/spectators. Still a great day (aside from the weather..) and a good opportunity to meet a few fellow members and some awesome machinery.

The new owner on said trackday in his new toy :)

With a lunatic in the passenger seat :mrgreen:

And so, onto Mule V...

Since I started this journey Adrienne has always faithfully stood by me and supported my various purchases and the amount of time I've spent on them. However, she's never really driven any of them and was always concerned she didn't want to be just seen as the girlfriend of the guy who owned.... etc. Well, due to some discussions and an eventual agreement regarding the Westy, I had an opportunity to change things for her... That little something being in the form of a certain '89 Toyota MR2 Mk1 SC Super Edition, which some of you might recognise... ( http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168307 ) :wink: It was a complete surprise to her, which is amazing considering how long so many people had know about the plans :lol:

So here it is, after the obligatory clean:

Tape deck! Retro :D

A whole new engine for me to make spotless :wink:

Of course :thumleft:

Plans wise it doesn't need a great deal, as the engine, chassis etc have all fully sorted by Ben. The approach will be restoration+ really, to maintain and refresh anything which is starting to age too much. It's a rare and classic car,it doesn't need meddling with, it just needs enjoying :)

Thanks for those who've run the gauntlet and read this post. I did say it would be photos and ramblings, so you can't say I don't deliver :lol:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Nice words there Mr. Beans - as I said before, I couldn't think of a better home for the SC and I hope you both get as much enjoyment as I have had over the past 18 months! I'll look forward to the work you'll no doubt do over the coming weeks ;)

And yes, as I'm sure the eagle-eyed among you have worked out, I am now the proud new owner of Mule III, a very feisty and enormously fun little car. There's a bit of tinkering and fettling to be done here and there, mostly just carrying on the sterling work that Phil has already done, but I'll start a new thread on that as and when (assuming anyone is interested!!) rather than fill up Phil's thread.

A couple of brief pics for now:

The current fleet:

Tucked up in its new home and drying off!
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
Draven

Post by Draven »

That is a lovely garage. :thumleft:

Return to “Member Profiles”