Anyone know this car or dealer?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: Anyone know this car or dealer?

Post by Ryan S »

RedMR² wrote:
sheppy wrote:
muckyman wrote:Were the side repeaters on the wing on a Rev3 Turbo?

some MOT testers say they are required, some don't notice, so it's a popular choice to stick some on :thumleft:

Then I'd find a new MOT tester.

sheppy wrote:
Love it how, just because it has a UK front number plate holder and leather seats, it's assumed to be a crashed car/UK car with turbo engine. [d'oh!]

GT-S badge on the boot lid, import tobelerone indicators, import center dash trim. rev 3 turbo. he swapped out the crappy cloth seats for full leather and stuck a UK plate holder on the front bumper.

i think the problem is the holder, they usually come attached to a UK bumper, my tubby has a UK plate, no holder though, I can't understand why anyone would add the holder when a UK plate looks nicer without :-k

A plate screwed to the bumper doesn't look half as tidy as a holder with plate.

Vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must be fitted with one side repeater indicator on each side

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_140.htm

Number plate holders are cumbersome and ugly, looks far better without. your opinion obviously differs (and is wrong) :lol:
craig

Post by craig »

And imports do, the tobelerones. How can they fail an MOT with toblerones. As I say, I'd find a new MOT tester if he failed an MR2 on not having side repeaters when toblerone side indicators are fitted.
craig

Post by craig »

Screwing a numberplate straight to a bumper without the finishing trim looks like an afterthought imo.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

RedMR² wrote:And imports do, the tobelerones. How can they fail an MOT with toblerones. As I say, I'd find a new MOT tester if he failed an MR2 on not having side repeaters when toblerone side indicators are fitted.

I've never ever had a problem with the tobes and MOTs, I have read on here that other people have. I assume that with people put tside repeaters on, why else would you? the tobes are far nicer than side repeaters.
craig

Post by craig »

sheppy wrote:
RedMR² wrote:And imports do, the tobelerones. How can they fail an MOT with toblerones. As I say, I'd find a new MOT tester if he failed an MR2 on not having side repeaters when toblerone side indicators are fitted.

I've never ever had a problem with the tobes, I have read on here that other people have. I assume that with people put them on, why else would you? the tobes are far nicer than side repeaters.

Toblerones and orange side repeaters are orange and horrible. Much nicer with UK blanking strips and Celica gen7 clear side reps. Again, imo.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

RedMR² wrote:Screwing a numberplate straight to a bumper without the finishing trim looks like an afterthought imo.

looks great :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

In your opinion...
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

RedMR² wrote:
sheppy wrote:

I've never ever had a problem with the tobes, I have read on here that other people have. I assume that with people put them on, why else would you? the tobes are far nicer than side repeaters.

Toblerones and orange side repeaters are orange and horrible. Much nicer with UK blanking strips and Celica gen7 clear side reps. Again, imo.

to be fair I agree the orange colour is horrible, I'd really like clear ones, i think it was gazrev1tubby?? who made a set but never made any others :(
Marf

Post by Marf »

RedMR² wrote:

Love it how, just because it has a UK front number plate holder and leather seats, it's assumed to be a crashed car/UK car with turbo engine. #-o

#-o

No assumptions, just pointing out things to check if looking at the car #-o
cosmos

Fender

Post by cosmos »

I think the UK plate looks nicer than the import. Plus the jap plate stops air flow to the rad.[/quote]

The UK letterbox number plate means you do not qualify for motor cycle size letters and numbers, and have to display those massive ugly UK sizes. Plateholder looks best imo mounted vertically rigidifying against headwind.
Jap plate it could just deflect an oncoming rock!!
rev3turbo

Post by rev3turbo »

carefull.. posts will go missing if your opinion & tastes differ :-$
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

rev3turbo wrote:carefull.. posts will go missing if your opinion & tastes differ :-$

hahaha, sounds about right :thumleft:
mr2newbie

hi if your on the look for a car this one looks cheap 1997 turbo 2k

Post by mr2newbie »

i cant post the link as i dont have rights to do so....there a red one on autotrader turbo tintop 2k

ey facts

1997 turbo PetrolCoupeManual85000 miles
RED, Next MOT due 11/07/2015, Very tidy inside and out for it's age, Original Car, Lots of extras, Dump Valve, Turbo Clock, Electric Windows, Power Steering, Central Locking, CD Player, Leather Interior, No Tax, Drives Well, First to see will buy. Call Richard on 07817465811., £1,995
Marf

Post by Marf »

sheppy wrote:
rev3turbo wrote:carefull.. posts will go missing if your opinion & tastes differ :-$

hahaha, sounds about right :thumleft:

Lexus lights and chrome spinners deserve to be censored :mrgreen:
2mad

Re: hi if your on the look for a car this one looks cheap 1997 turbo 2k

Post by 2mad »

mr2newbie wrote:i cant post the link as i dont have rights to do so....there a red one on autotrader turbo tintop 2k

ey facts

1997 turbo PetrolCoupeManual85000 miles
RED, Next MOT due 11/07/2015, Very tidy inside and out for it's age, Original Car, Lots of extras, Dump Valve, Turbo Clock, Electric Windows, Power Steering, Central Locking, CD Player, Leather Interior, No Tax, Drives Well, First to see will buy. Call Richard on 07817465811., £1,995

If its this one it looks tidy, uk front plate too :wink:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-cars/t ... ?logcode=p
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

2mad wrote:

kidding right?

1 sill painted, other not.
rev1 front bumper!
rev2 side strips
rev3 spoiler and lights

id say that was a rev2.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

jimGTS wrote:
2mad wrote:

kidding right?

1 sill painted, other not.
rev1 front bumper!
rev2 side strips
rev3 spoiler and lights

id say that was a rev2.

https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

year of manufacture.....1992.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Damn well spotted I missed the 1 painted sill and rev2 side strips #-o and no I was not kidding I thought it looked alright first glance for £2000, if it is in fact a rev3 turbo.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

my spidey senses were correct then :thumleft:

aint no 1997!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

2mad wrote:Damn well spotted I missed the 1 painted sill and rev2 side strips #-o and no I was not kidding I thought it looked alright first glance for £2000, if it is in fact a rev3 turbo.

it's a rev2 mate, year of registration is 1997. meaning it was imported (or registered) in 1997. however, quick check on the super handy tax/mot checker reveals it was manufactured in 1992.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”