Why are so many 2's being broken for scrap?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

androo007

Why are so many 2's being broken for scrap?

Post by androo007 »

As the title really, i've only been here a short time but been gobsmacked at the number of really decent looking mr2 rev 3 turbos (for example) being broken for parts and scrapped.

Why is this? Very surprised!

With these cars becoming so rare now, I don't know why they're being thrown in the bin at such a rate
mrturbotom

Re: Why are so many 2's being broken for scrap?

Post by mrturbotom »

Its happening far too much,

If everyone put their prices up, more would stay in one piece, they'd get more money back. No choice of cheaper options, they'll sell eventually
craig

Post by craig »

Unfortunately, most MR2s are worth more in parts than whole cars.

For example I bought a rev3 turbo for £1500 with a smoking turbo.

It had 18" wheels, Blitz Nur Spec-R exhaust, Greddy intercooler and Blitz induction kit.

Sold it in bits for £3000 profit (after shipping, paypal/ebay fees & paying sbits to remove some stuff like gearbox etc) and kept the 18" wheels.
shinny

Post by shinny »

My MR2 is easily worth more in parts than whole. I'm highly unlikely to ever sell it... I'll either keep it ad-infinitum, break it or write it off.

This is why I get annoyed with owners pushing down the prices of their own cars. I can think of one particular ex-owner who would ask the earth for any car he owned, but always tell people asking for advice that he could buy a better car for half the price, thus helping depressing the very market he's trying to sell into ](*,)
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

I doubt ill ever sell mines in 1piece either.
Id rather spend a few hard days under the car for the extra £1000 or so id get breaking it so i can recoup some money, however that being said im here to enjoy my mr2 hence spending fortunes on it!
I think soon enough with the amount being scrapped the value will go up again as i feel it is rock bottom just now.

Who cares anyway, just enjoy the car for what it is :lol:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Oh :-(

I've been v surprised at the prices of aftermarket parts (extremely overpriced imho) but the opposite for original parts (fair) which I guess is why it's pushing part outs to be more tempting.

3k is an astonishing price for parts.....that seems crazy! But how many fun mid engine rwd classic 90s jag turbo cars are there left to enjoy?

I noticed the same with the classic scooby......Over the last 5 years they have disappeared.
gerbil1028

Post by gerbil1028 »

Mine will Be my coffin simple as.

J plate rev2 brought back after 5 year search without engine or box. £1000

Currently and roughly owes me another £2000 (rev3 lump and box plus other little bits)

Surely be up too £4000 by time I'm happy including sale price.

Will I sell ? NEVER again
Will I break ? NEVER
Will I crash it ? Possibly and thats only time it will be broken, most likely reshelled
One day the Phoenix will rise from the ashes.
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

I'm keeping at least one of mine in one piece. (Probably 2.)

What else could I get that'll outperform a n/a Ferrari for £580 quid with a little tax and MOT? (Mind you, since then it has cost a few quid, and it's not the easiest car to work on.)
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

androo007 wrote:Oh :-(

I've been v surprised at the prices of aftermarket parts (extremely overpriced imho) but the opposite for original parts (fair) which I guess is why it's pushing part outs to be more tempting.

Any reference to which parts you think are overpriced?
I would say most are fair priced ie I have a whiteline arb for sale for £80, its £160 new so hardly overpriced.
I do agree that original parts are underpriced but ive come to realise its because there are better performing aftermarket parts..
Supply and demand unfortunately
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Gullzter wrote:
Any reference to which parts you think are overpriced?
I would say most are fair priced ie I have a whiteline arb for sale for £80, its £160 new so hardly overpriced.
I do agree that original parts are underpriced but ive come to realise its because there are better performing aftermarket parts..
Supply and demand unfortunately

My favorite one is the blitz/mines ecus, I remember a few years ago you couldnt give em away. Now they seem to sell for the same price as a bloody powerfc!
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

more that are scrapped, raises value of the good ones.

swings and roundabouts.

RED, im amazed you made that much profit off a near stock car?
craig

Post by craig »

jimGTS wrote:RED, im amazed you made that much profit off a near stock car?

Yeah, I bought it to break. Kept a spreadsheet of everything I sold off it, minus postage/packing/paypal fees/ebay fees/sbits labour.

Bought for £1500
sold it all off in bits for £3000 profit
free set of 18" wheels.

Win. :mrgreen:

Still got 2 doors & front bumper left. :lol:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

any rough breakdown?
im just amazed!
craig

Post by craig »

jimGTS wrote:any rough breakdown?
im just amazed!

Once the car had been scrapped, I deleted the spreadsheet. Only kept it as I wanted to keep track on how much I made back on parts.
Tedtiler

Post by Tedtiler »

On the other side of things I've seen more than a few of these cars make their way into the hands of eejits.

Takes about double the hours on maintenance as a similar 90s hot hatch so pretty soon it's mot failure then a stint sitting about doing nothing. And these cars need driven regularly . So scrap time.

Really sad so many get scrapped but there were loads about to start with. Similar story with starlets , only they don't rust !
David

Post by David »

In Ireland motortax is a big problem. It will cost you the bones of 800 quid a year to tax a 2 litre n/a...people just can not afford it. I had my one up for sale recently and could not believe how difficult it was to sell...in the end I just decided to keep it as I couldn't bare the thought of selling it for a small fraction of what I have put into it.

True though you see nearly as many being scrapped as being driven.
David

Post by David »

In Ireland motortax is a big problem. It will cost you the bones of 800 quid a year to tax a 2 litre n/a...people just can not afford it. I had my one up for sale recently and could not believe how difficult it was to sell...in the end I just decided to keep it as I couldn't bare the thought of selling it for a small fraction of what I have put into it.

True though you see nearly as many being scrapped as being driven.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

It doesn't surprise me. I think I spent about £15k on my car (including buying it for £7k in 2006) and sold it for £3800 :lol: I'd have made a shed load more breaking it but was determined I wasn't going to do that, and thankfully neither has the guy who bought it.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

tried to sell mine a while back, couldn't get peanuts for it, so decided to keep it, so glad i did!! they are just getting rarer and rarer!!
uglee

Post by uglee »

There are 1000's of MR2 left and to be honest I don't ever see values rising as a direct result of rarity.

Condition and desirable aftermarket parts/options is what has a greater effect on price in my opinion.
You'll see plenty of £1K-£2K cars around, very occasionally a car will come up that is exceptional with an exceptional price tag. There is a small number of owners who realise that the initial large outlay can be nothing compared to the cost of getting a minger upto scratch.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”