Rev 1 Subframe removal.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

cabrioman

Rev 1 Subframe removal.

Post by cabrioman »

Hi All.
I'm due to start rebuilding the rear suspension and i want to know if i can remove the rear sub frame without touching the engine?
Removing the exhaust isn't an issue as this being replaced anyway. I have axle stands so i can use one to take the weight of the engine. Just wanted to make sure i'm not going to run into any problems before starting on this in a week or two.
MartinF

Re: Rev 1 Subframe removal.

Post by MartinF »

cabrioman wrote:Hi All.
I'm due to start rebuilding the rear suspension and i want to know if i can remove the rear sub frame without touching the engine?
Removing the exhaust isn't an issue as this being replaced anyway. I have axle stands so i can use one to take the weight of the engine. Just wanted to make sure i'm not going to run into any problems before starting on this in a week or two.

Yes, you can remove sub-frame without touching engine. It's just the exhaust you'll have to remove.
Blue Lexus RCF
Black MKIV UK Manual Supra
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
fingers99

Re: Rev 1 Subframe removal.

Post by fingers99 »

You should be OK without even supporting the engine: the engine mount which bolts to the subframe will have to come off, but there will still be three mounts supporting engine and box. I've a car waiting for full engine removal with both the front and rear engine mounts removed. It's been like that for at least 6 months!

I'd advise lots of penetrating oil on all the bolts/nuts which fix to the subframe, and slacken all the fasteners off before you start on the main 4 bolts.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”