[Mk2] [Turbo] Which EBC pads?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ccfc_harwood

[Mk2] [Turbo] Which EBC pads?

Post by ccfc_harwood »

Hi all,

Ive just been on the phone ordering my new brake pads and discs.
Decided to go for EBC as i can get discount through my garage and they supply these.
I use my car for fast road use no tracking, so assumed greenstuff were the correct ones to buy? The guy said as my car is 320bhp i would be better off with yellow?
Ive ordered EBC discs to go with them.
Should i call and change them for greenstuff or stick with the yellow for what i need?
Never had any experience with either set, bin running stock for the last few years (which arent that good haha) as the pads are only just wearing down now so its time to upgrade.
gnzyza

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Which EBC pads?

Post by gnzyza »

I've had mixed experience with EBC stuff, but I would suggest either yellow or red.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

You'd be much better off avoiding EBC pads, they're sh!te :eye:
Chris Wilson

Post by Chris Wilson »

I have my well known fast road pads on special offer at £102 plus VAT for a full car set, I do these for Supras, the old and current shaped Nissan GTR's, and a wide variety of other performance cars including Ferrari, Aston Martin, Maserati and Alfa Romeo. Plenty of MR2 owners have used them, all models, ages and aspiration.
ccfc_harwood

Post by ccfc_harwood »

Oh no don't know what to do now then :-k
Draven

Post by Draven »

Chris Wilson wrote:I have my well known fast road pads on special offer at £102 plus VAT for a full car set, I do these for Supras, the old and current shaped Nissan GTR's, and a wide variety of other performance cars including Ferrari, Aston Martin, Maserati and Alfa Romeo. Plenty of MR2 owners have used them, all models, ages and aspiration.

Once my car is back on the road you'll be getting an order from me. Little thing of getting the engine out and back in first though :thumleft:
Nic

Post by Nic »

I'm using Chris's fast road pads on mine, they work well from cold and will haul the car up from silly speeds without fading, they get a :thumleft: from me.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

JohnnyC wrote:You'd be much better off avoiding EBC pads, they're sh!te :eye:

Yes thay are, real crap
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Chris Wilson wrote:I have my well known fast road pads on special offer at £102 plus VAT for a full car set, I do these for Supras, the old and current shaped Nissan GTR's, and a wide variety of other performance cars including Ferrari, Aston Martin, Maserati and Alfa Romeo. Plenty of MR2 owners have used them, all models, ages and aspiration.

So well known that you dare not mention which brand?

I'm lovin' Alfa Romeo in the same sentence as Ferrari, Aston Martin & Maserati :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :clap: #-o
Chris Wilson

Post by Chris Wilson »

JohnnyC wrote:

<snip>

I'm lovin' Alfa Romeo in the same sentence as Ferrari, Aston Martin & Maserati :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :clap: #-o

If you worked on these things you would probably find the mixing of these brands appropriate :)
Keri-WMS

Post by Keri-WMS »

We've had good results with EBC Reds, but with that much power Yellows are a good bet.

DS2500's are the next step up if you have one of our kits, in fact they are on one customer's car who just won both of his first races of the season (Starlet Turbo), and that's a road/trackday pad that's good from cold.....but they don't make them for the OEM SW20 calipers. #-o
Adam

Post by Adam »

EBC yellows are good and will suit you well im sure.. they are ok from cold just have a numb feel. Ive used them plenty on road and circuit In a rev 2 N/A and a rev 1 turbo and never had fade after bedding them in correctly and the pedal feel does improve alot as they get warmer.... ive used greenstuff in the past on a lower powered car and they were like an oe replacement pad covered in green paint which melted badly one day and siezed the caliper causing one front brake to stick on at 80mph. Not a good experience, so I would stay clear of them personally although I have read they improved the green compound.

Definatly try the yellows though f+r and im sure you wont be disappointed just make sure to bed them in properly and you cant go wrong for the price
mark239

Post by mark239 »

Those porterfield brake pads are ace.

I have EBC red 'ceramic' ones on my daily driver Octavia vRS and theyre ok. They came on the car when I bought it.
matgd

Post by matgd »

I use yellowstuff on my na for track use and they seem fine, I get fade after about 15mins but that's very hard use that you wouldn't get on the road. They work great from cold too as I use the car on the road.

Return to “Modifications”