Is it possible? MR2 vs GTR

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

v1xz

Is it possible? MR2 vs GTR

Post by v1xz »

I hired a 2009 GTR over the weekend. I spent most of that time init, the acceleration was like nothing I have felt.
I managed 0.64mph on the M6, in full race mode. I believe the boost was raised above the stock level by the owner.
Now I'm back in my two and it just doesn't excite me, the acceleration is obviously nothing like the GTR.
My question, to what extent do I need to go to make my two as quick as a gtr? Anyone got a bold figure?

Before you ask, launch control was disabled by own. ](*,) ](*,)
Last edited by v1xz on Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i like MR2
markstevieandmads

Re: Is it possible? MR2 vs GTR

Post by markstevieandmads »

Have you really just posted that you did 164mph on the M6?

I will start the countdown for the comments.....

[-(
v1xz

Post by v1xz »

:oops: what have I done wrong?
i like MR2
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

I had a built mr2 about 4 years ago, i came across various problems everytime i tried to get her mapped, (mostly air temps), at one state of tune she was running a tad over 440 bhp, that car pulled on a GTR by a couple car lengths, wasn't that much in it to be honest, however that was 8k rpm in third, so couldn't give you a comparison for higher speeds....

Btw, 164 mph on a motorway is ridiculous, get caught at that speed you will end up in jail, if you're lucky... ](*,)
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

v1xz wrote::oops: what have I done wrong?

94mph over the speed limit
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

v1xz, you probably want to get this thread deleted as soon as possible
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

VGB

Post by VGB »

Ever had to pick up bits of body parts after a serious car crash? Ever had to tell someone a relative has died due to someone else driving recklessly?

164Mph on a public road, what have I done wrong? If you can't Work it out you shouldn't have a drivers licence.
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

:clap: You are the M6 champion. Plenty of plod on there I`d say be careful because you will get rozzered! Sillyness really, it is past lose your license territory. Plus if you kill yourself fair enough but I`m sure nobody else wants taking out on their way to or home from work we all want to get where we are going safely I`m sure.
Keljon

Post by Keljon »

You mean 64mph yeah, just a typo right?
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

:shock:

Anyway... 4wheel drive 3.8l v6 win turbo, 340bhp per tonne.. Absolutely no comparison unfortunately, my aim is to get over 500bhp with my mr2 in the future mainly focusing on 0-100kph and qaurters as opposed to top speed however i doubt that it will ever compare to the gtr :roll:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

400hp + getrag will sure give a GTR a run for its money.
Even off the line.

But for sure will be more prone to maintainance.
But still cheaper than a stock GTR.

There was no reason what so ever to mention the speeds you got to.
An mr2 can get to that pace, so who cares.
That was just a plain retarded admission on a forum.

Aside from that comment, given the mr2s weight and layout, they are a force.
Granted not GTR out the box, but they are in different leagues of tech.
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

I'm sure there are some builds on here that'll match or exceed the gtr in stock but none will feel anywhere near as usable. Mines topped at a true(i think ) 160mph basic mods rev3
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

jimGTS wrote:400hp + getrag will sure give a GTR a run for its money.
Even off the line.

But for sure will be more prone to maintainance.
But still cheaper than a stock GTR.

There was no reason what so ever to mention the speeds you got to.
An mr2 can get to that pace, so who cares.
That was just a plain retarded admission on a forum.

Aside from that comment, given the mr2s weight and layout, they are a force.
Granted not GTR out the box, but they are in different leagues of tech.

Interesting, a Gtr would do 0-100k in under 4seconds, i wasnt sure any mr2 would be abe to do that without blowing something :-k
iain2010

Post by iain2010 »

Its not just the power its the way the GTR can put everything down on the road. I think it would probably be cheaper to buy a GTR than get a mr2 that can match its pace!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

iain2010 wrote:Its not just the power its the way the GTR can put everything down on the road. I think it would probably be cheaper to buy a GTR than get a mr2 that can match its pace!

simon hicks old car would have surely pi$$ed all over a GTR, it sold for a mere 10k i believe :shock:
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

I think the main issue here is the comparison, we are comparing a 20 year old car to a modern supercar and all the advances in technology that brings.

Ive no doubt that the MR2 is a capable beast, hell its why I own one, but we are comparing apples and oranges here.

Even if you did manage to have the funds to get a MR2 to match a GTR's pace im not entirely sure you could match a GTR's reliability at that performance. It'd just be on the back of your mind all the time, how long until something pops.

The GTR is designed, developed and engineered with years and years of research and development to perform outstandingly all day - every day. Im just not sure a 2wd mid engined car could ever match its pace.

Even if its capeable of doing so, a MR2 with GTR performance and pace'd be....interesting to drive. I was going to say fun, but at this level you would have to be awake!

Realistically though, im not entirely sure its possible, but with unlimited funds and time, hell, who knows whats possible. :-k

but lets put an arbitrary number on it, how much do you guys think it'd cost to do something like this? I think ill start the ball rolling at possibly 50k?

It'd be quite the project, but in my opinion, if you have those kind of funds to do this, just buy a GTR.
iain2010

Post by iain2010 »

sheppy wrote:
iain2010 wrote:Its not just the power its the way the GTR can put everything down on the road. I think it would probably be cheaper to buy a GTR than get a mr2 that can match its pace!

simon hicks old car would have surely pi$$ed all over a GTR, it sold for a mere 10k i believe :shock:

Yeah but I bet it cost a hell of a lot more to build. Another plus for buying a GTR is that it wont loose its money like the mr2
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

it probably did, i'm convinced you could build a GTR beating mr2 for under 20k though, or....buy a bike :lol:

EDIT: to put it into perspective, the GTR is just shy of 500bhp plus weighs half a tonne more than the mr2, so a 400bhp mr2 would be more than capable, so what are we talking? forged engine, uprated fuel system, 400bhp capable turbo and an ecu...not exactly 50 grand on that list :) look at turbonoz' budget build, 400+ BHP on stock internals, admittedly it didn't last long but with forged internals who knows, plenty of reliable 400bhp mr2s going around :thumleft:
iain2010

Post by iain2010 »

True Sheppy but its not just that. If its done properly theres suspension, brakes etc that all need uprating to cope with the insane power. Standard kit would be no good.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”