Handling on rev 3 turbo

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

daz364

Handling on rev 3 turbo

Post by daz364 »

Hi guys, I was wondering if I could pick your brains on handling.
I have a civic type r new shape and the handling is bang on tight responsive and before Iv always felt like nothing compares to mr2 handling before but now iv drove the type r handling feels poor on the mr2, I know the mr2 is now 18 years old and things have moved on but it seems to have a lot of movement in the wheel before we get any proper action, any ideas to improve it????

Its standard suspension lowered on trd springs standard bushes are all standard and I don't know when they where last changed. Iv owned it for 10 years and not changed a bush it flies through the MOT every year no advisories.

Any helps appreciated cheers Daz
danjama

Re: Handling on rev 3 turbo

Post by danjama »

What wheels and tyres are you using?
CooperTurbo

Post by CooperTurbo »

MR2's only handle well for a 25 year old bus. Type R's, Focus ST's, Meganes etc will all run rings around a standard (and probably modified) MR2.

It's just technology catching up I guess.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Even if the bushings are fine for the mot they are still going to be worn enough to make the car feel sloppy. Rubber perishes over time.

Replacing all the bushes for poly ones make a world of difference.

If you want to decrease roll further go for some aftermarket antirollbars. Steering response can be helped by getting adjustable front caster rods and dialing in a bit more caster.
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

CooperTurbo wrote:MR2's only handle well for a 25 year old bus. Type R's, Focus ST's, Meganes etc will all run rings around a standard (and probably modified) MR2.

That's pretty much it to be fair. The MR2 was a good handling car in its day, but time and technology has moved on now.
fred130111

Post by fred130111 »

There must be something wrong with my mates focus st then, my mr2 is pretty much standard only got tein springs paird with black bilstein shocks.

Going round a long bend you can see the back of his car jerking around all over the place at speed where as the mr2 feels perfectly safe / planted, he even says himself that the mr2 handles much better than his current focus st and his previous astra vxr

dont get me wrong on the straights i have no chance mine is an NA lol
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I dunno my car doesnt realy feel lacking in front end bite, but all my suspension is relatively new and doesnt have the 20 year old oem bushings anymore.

Honestly the op asked why his car doesnt feel that great and he mentioned the bushings have never been changed, literaly thats the first thing i'd do. Also an alignment and a good check over if you have any play in the steering is what i'd do.
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

This is something ill be working on my car next, ill be getting yellow billies (b6) which are supposed to be stiffer and ill continue using my apex lowering springs, uprated arbs, poly bushing what is neccessary and then uprated bracing.
Hopefully should notice a massive improvement.
I do expect the ride to be alot firmer but as im on 16"s so hopefully the bigger profile makes for a nice balance.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Polybush the whole chassis. Feels like new afterwards!
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

CooperTurbo wrote:MR2's only handle well for a 25 year old bus. Type R's, Focus ST's, Meganes etc will all run rings around a standard (and probably modified) MR2.

Dunno why you want one then. I get a much nicer feeling when I drive mine - if thats what i thought about them i'd look for something else.
fred130111

Post by fred130111 »

I agree, i find an MR2 much nicer to drive than anything more modern..... much more fun aswell! :clap:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

CooperTurbo wrote:MR2's only handle well for a 25 year old bus. .

ban him now!!!

:mrgreen:
craig

Post by craig »

Rob wrote:Polybush the whole chassis. Feels like new afterwards!

daz364

Post by daz364 »

thanks for all the replies. Alignment was only all done last year and has done 1200 miles since. The biggest thing is the fact that it just doesn't feel as sharpe, so to slim it down then.

Have a good check with stuff like track rod ends
Poly bush anti roll bars
Fully polybush whole car.

What would be the first thing to check there isn't much roll just the sharpness of steering. Would antiroll bar bushes effect that?
mrturbotom

Post by mrturbotom »

Tyres make a massive difference, I had goodyear eagke f1s with approximately 5mm tread but a few years old, put new hankook evo12s on and the car is transformed, turn in and grip
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Slarty wrote:

That's pretty much it to be fair. The MR2 was a good handling car in its day, but time and technology has moved on now.

I agree. But!....

I have 2 x 1994 rev 3 GT Tbar Turbos on 15s, same tyres and the high mileage one (for sale) will run rings around the low mileage one.
Both are on pretty fresh shocks all round. The low mileage one just sways a lot more in corners so feels less sure footed.

Most things come down to money. You can get a Rev3 turbo for 2k, or you can get the modern hot hatch turbo for 17k+ new?
So far both my MR2s run rings around the modern hot hatches cos the drivers I have come across so far dont know how to corner and just nail it on straights.

With that difference in price you could easily have your whole suspension and steering replaced with new parts, have a new turbo, and get a proper respray.

I say yeah times have moved on. The MR2 Turbo is still great value for money, fun handling and still a head turner.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

rev3gtturbo wrote:
Slarty wrote:

I agree. But!....

I have 2 x 1994 rev 3 GT Tbar Turbos on 15s, same tyres and the high mileage one (for sale) will run rings around the low mileage one.
Both are on pretty fresh shocks all round. The low mileage one just sways a lot more in corners so feels less sure footed.

Most things come down to money. You can get a Rev3 turbo for 2k, or you can get the modern hot hatch turbo for 17k+ new?
So far both my MR2s run rings around the modern hot hatches cos the drivers I have come across so far dont know how to corner and just nail it on straights.

With that difference in price you could easily have your whole suspension and steering replaced with new parts, have a new turbo, and get a proper respray.

I say yeah times have moved on. The MR2 Turbo is still great value for money, fun handling and still a head turner.

+1

Im in that proccess :mrgreen:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”