MR2 Turbo price now....

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RST

Re: MR2 Turbo price now....

Post by RST »

Well I have a 5L V8 these days as my "toy car" -my boss just got a new 3L diesel beemer and it's apparently quicker 0-60 so just goes to show how much things change! Nevermind, I paid 1/4 the price probably. If I was still in an Mr2 it would be just quicker.

I'm not sure the SW20 brakes were that lacking. Look at the '205 they were making at the same time, brakes could me more difficult to maintain (when those calipers stick -THEY STICK), the SS suspension handled good -but very over complicated and expensive.
mr2mk2

Post by mr2mk2 »

I bought my first mr2 just over 3 years ago, rev1 na and I had a £27k BMW but preferred the mr2. I now have a rev1 turbo that cost £750 with £160 tax on it so I like to think it cost me £590, and I have an Audi A3 which cost £24k, which do I prefer? You know the answer, even Peter Giddins said it drove well, so that's good enough for me :)
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

Race Idiot wrote:I just wish toyota hadnt cheaped out on the mr2 in the brakes and suspension department. Imagine how much better the car wouldve been with double wishbones allround instead of mcstruts and fixed calipers instead of stupid slider ones.

Just look at the nsxs suspension layout!
Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i.imgur.com/cPWm4bj.jpg 8)

Very true but how many NSX did Honda plan on selling and how many SW20 did Toyota plan to sell?

The price comes alot into development. That said the sort of GT3 MP-12C went from the hydraulic suspension it has to Mc struts. So they can't be all bad
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Amazed no-one has mentioned this yet, but I suspect all cars have got cheaper inflation adjusted, oweing to the sequential design techniques that allow a car to go from paper to showroom in 2 years instead of 8, the increased automation of manufacturing, the cross model chassis/drivetrain platforms and a whole host of other changes in the industry.

I bet only supercars have the opposite effect, eg Lexus LFA on paper stats would be beaten by a supercar made in '94 which would cost half the price inflation adjusted.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”